Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here and really desperate for some help. I've got 2013 PFL ST-3 FoST and this rattle is going to make me sell the car if I don't solve the problem ASAP. From the beginning tho. The rattle could be heard from the B pillar all the way towards the A pillar. I think it might be the airbag that is installed there as i took out the spotlight and pressed it while driving and it stopped. Now of course as soon as i stop pressing it, it rattles like a box of loose screws! Even though the main rattle is gone while i press/lift the airbag, you could still hear something in the A pillar. It sounds like the airbag there was loose and is moving up and down. Now I'd go to the dealer but my car isn't under warranty and i heard horrible stories about the Ford dealers so I'd rather take care of it myself if it's possible. Tried to ask for help on the UK forum but they kinda blew me off and said "go to the dealer". I will really appreciate some help! I don't want to get rid of the car as i love it but I'm going to make over 1000miles this summer and would really want that sorted before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Pull off the trim and take a look. I did notice when I was messing with some sound proofing that there are a few pads in the door that stop rattling, those same pads fell out almost as soon as I took off the trim. Maybe you had some fall off and you just need to put some padding in between, or tighten a screw on your tweeters... No telling until you take the trim off, its also not a huge deal to take the door trim off if you haven't done it before and there is probable videos on youtube or tips on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You should simulate the rattle by finding a parking lot with speed bumps, uneven pavement, etc. Drive around in there as you troubleshoot the issue to whether or not something is loose, a piece of material came out, a harness is vibrating against hard plastic, etc.

As @LockeLamora33 pointed out, there may be something loose or those "pads in the door" probably came off. When you're driving in the parking lot to address the rattle, you may want to have the trim pulled off the door so you can see if it rattles without it. Use proper materials for stopping rattles: felt and vibration damper (i.e., Constrained-Layer Damper tiles such as Dynamat).

Good luck buddy. My previous car had major windshield rattling issues during cold weather that drove me insane. I know it's difficult to pinpoint it, but I'm sure you'll be able to resolve it as long as you approach this methodically and with purpose.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I had a headliner rattle behind the sunroof. The velcro they had there was loose. Beyond that, the headliner board is sticky on the back side making the rattle noise. I ended up folding a few paper towels and put them between the headliner and the roof. Much better now. Still have a few rattles but that was the worst one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for so many replies! You are giving me a huge hope and I'll definitely stick to this forum from now on :) I'll definitely try to check it out. Now few more questions: i previously removed the trim on B pillar but only halfway as I couldn't manage what holds the top part where it says "airbag". Would be also good to remove my roof lining just a bit so i could look in there. Any ideas? Love the idea about the parking lot actually! Will let u know guys as soon as i manage to do something about it :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Thanks guys for so many replies! You are giving me a huge hope and I'll definitely stick to this forum from now on :) I'll definitely try to check it out. Now few more questions: i previously removed the trim on B pillar but only halfway as I couldn't manage what holds the top part where it says "airbag". Would be also good to remove my roof lining just a bit so i could look in there. Any ideas? Love the idea about the parking lot actually! Will let u know guys as soon as i manage to do something about it :)
Good choice sticking to this forum, why on earth would you go anywhere else? ;) I can't answer about slightly removing the headliner because I'm not entirely sure how it is attached around the edges, I want to say it would be fine to slightly remove, but I don't want to give potentially expensive false-advice.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just pulled out the driver side spotlight yesterday and wrapped a piece of electrical tape around that clip on the opposite side of the harness. That little clip rattles bad. I also used some plastic epoxy and went in hrough the sunroof and reglued the headliner to the sunroof panel. It had come unglued.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I was about to have it with my mystery rattle too. Mine seemed related to speed & turning, but was inconsistent. Sometimes there, sometimes not. From brand new I was pretty annoyed.

One day I came across this thread:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-appearance/39258-check-your-hatch-screws-pics-inside.html

I actually saw this but ignored it for a couple weeks lol. Well one day I looked into it, guess what? I had a screw completely undone literally rolling around banging against the metal interior. While another screw was lose and I think the last one was fine. What in the flying F ford?

Have not had any rattling since & trust me I did not suspect the rear hatch at all. I thought the noise was coming from the back seats somehow.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I actually saw this but ignored it for a couple weeks lol. Well one day I looked into it, guess what? I had a screw completely undone literally rolling around banging against the metal interior. While another screw was lose and I think the last one was fine. What in the flying F ford?
actually just dealt with this exact problem with the wife's Escape Ti... apparently somebody at the factory needed the Tq turned up on their impact tool

1 - 12 of 12 Posts