Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had this issue for maybe a month now and just haven't driven the car enough to care to try and find a fix to it. Figured since I have so much time at home now I'll try and fix it.

The issue comes in at 5k rpm and past, it sounds like it's between a flutter and actual knocking. I hear the noise and it doesn't really rev much farther if at all so it is cutting power severely.

My car has now 103k miles, I've had it for almost 6k now and have had to fix a few different things already with the car, it was not treated or maintained very well by the last owner but I got it really cheap. The plugs have not been changed in my time, I changed the belt recently because it needed it a noticed a very small sideways movement in the tensioner, and again very slight. I've also heard passenger side motor mounts could be a cause of noise but not sure that would cause any power loss. My best guess is it's the tensioner moving and causing issues but I really have no idea. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Stupid question, but does the car have an adequate amount of oil? Not low, not severely overfilled either. If the engine is physically knocking, the ignition corrections will go through the roof.

Also can you give us a list of mods that are done to the car?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The tensioner rattling could be sensed by the knock sensors as detonation, and since it's moving around, you really should get that changed out before it grenades and takes other things with it. If it breaks apart while you're going through the gears it could potentially knock holes in stuff (hood, pipes, sensors, etc). It won't be pleasant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the spark plugs today and the issue is still there. I took another look at the tensioner and IMO it looks fine when its running, we gave it some revs and it doesn't really move side to side like it does when its off. So I'm open to more suggestions because I don't know where to go at this point. Is there a chance it could be bad motor mounts?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Can you provide a clear video of the issue?

Have you scanned for codes? Surely something has set by now, if it isn't a power loss from pulled timing.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm not able to hear anything from thw video but your engine light is on so you absolutely need to start there. Do it asap.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I changed the spark plugs today and the issue is still there. I took another look at the tensioner and IMO it looks fine when its running, we gave it some revs and it doesn't really move side to side like it does when its off. So I'm open to more suggestions because I don't know where to go at this point. Is there a chance it could be bad motor mounts?
What plugs did you get? Did you check the gap?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts