Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Should the Mountune BPV be cleaned every 6 months? I'm guessing the same maintenance procedures should be applied however they do not mention anything with their product. It was a pain in the azz to get that thing installed.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,180 Posts
Should the Mountune BPV be cleaned every 6 months? I'm guessing the same maintenance procedures should be applied however they do not mention anything with their product. It was a pain in the azz to get that thing installed.
No, because it is closed-circuit and sealed away from the elements. It only handles the filtered air entering and being pressurized by the turbo.

BoVs have the sides of the piston exposed to the elements through the vent ports.

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Alrighty so more updates… really pissed off now.
It’s doing it again, so I rebuilt again except this time I took extra care to thoroughly clean everything and this time I used gun oil to lube up all the o-rings and it’s still doing it. So now honestly I’m just thinking about getting a turbo smart 50/50 since it’s recessed inside the turbo housing and thus not as exposed as the Boomba. TurboGT, thoughts on this? Is there a better recessed not so exposed BOV I can get that you recommend? I really don’t want to install the exhale kit btw lol, too much money and effort.

·
Super Moderator
7,180 Posts
Alrighty so more updates… really pissed off now.
It’s doing it again, so I rebuilt again except this time I took extra care to thoroughly clean everything and this time I used gun oil to lube up all the o-rings and it’s still doing it. So now honestly I’m just thinking about getting a turbo smart 50/50 since it’s recessed inside the turbo housing and thus not as exposed as the Boomba. TurboGT, thoughts on this? Is there a better recessed not so exposed BOV I can get that you recommend? I really don’t want to install the exhale kit btw lol, too much money and effort.
For the sake of testing, I'd really like you to install the stock BPV, clear the code, and run it for a week or so that way. If the code never returns, id say, yes, go ahead and get the turbosmart. I'd rather be 100% sure this is the issue before you spend any money.

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
For the sake of testing, I'd really like you to install the stock BPV, clear the code, and run it for a week or so that way. If the code never returns, id say, yes, go ahead and get the turbosmart. I'd rather be 100% sure this is the issue before you spend any money.
Hey so I have some upsetting news...
Having had the stock BPV in for a while now, it's still doing it. I also noticed it pretty much only does it while in 5th or 6th gear on the highway when loading the motor up a touch.
So where do we go from here? Solenoids? If so, which one should I change first?
This is starting to get annoying since I'm stuck driving the ST now because my truck popped an oil cooler, and that's gonna be a bit before I can fix that.

·
Super Moderator
7,180 Posts
No, don't buy any parts still. Also leave the stock BPV in place. We need some constants here.

In post number 5 you said the WGA was good. What PSI did the gate begin to crack open at when you tested?

Also, do you have a means to datalog the issue i talked about in post #11? Theres an ST owner locally who also had the same noise concern you talked about in post #5, where the exhaust makes a very weird reverberation sound under the exact same circumstances you described. I rode in the car myself and verified this personally. I offered to datalog the car with him at a later date but he seems uninterested in looking into the issue farther. He later said he talked to his tuner who advised him this is typical of a failing wastegate on the stock turbos, but i cannot confirm this personally because he hasn't fixed the car yet.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
I believe the wastegate Is on its last leg. Just to make sure and to ruled out anything else, the engine is not overheating and the coolant level is Ok? Had you tried pumping air into the wastegate actuator to see if it’s holding it.?

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No, don't buy any parts still. Also leave the stock BPV in place. We need some constants here.

In post number 5 you said the WGA was good. What PSI did the gate begin to crack open at when you tested?

Also, do you have a means to datalog the issue i talked about in post #11? Theres an ST owner locally who also had the same noise concern you talked about in post #5, where the exhaust makes a very weird reverberation sound under the exact same circumstances you described. I rode in the car myself and verified this personally. I offered to datalog the car with him at a later date but he seems uninterested in looking into the issue farther. He later said he talked to his tuner who advised him this is typical of a failing wastegate on the stock turbos, but i cannot confirm this personally because he hasn't fixed the car yet.
I believe the wastegate Is on its last leg. Just to make sure and to ruled out anything else, the engine is not overheating and the coolant level is Ok? Had you tried pumping air into the wastegate actuator to see if it’s holding it.?

Ok so, I never actually tested the WGA with vacuum, I simply checked for bushing play as suggested. If you guys think it could be the WGA, I’ll have to test it with vacuum. What should I pressurize it to, what pressure should it crack at, and how long should I do a leak down test for? If this is the culprit, whereabouts can I go to get a new one? I’ve heard the turbo smart is really only good for upgraded turbos and I’m afraid of the inconsistency with trying to set it to stock as I don’t have an access port yet so I can’t get a tune.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
829 Posts
If you can attach a bicycle tube air valve to a piece of vaccum hose and plug it to the WGA. Use a hand or bicycle pump. Around 6 PSI it should start moving out ,fully extended around 12 PSI. Don't use an air compressor. It should hold the 12 psi. Since the WGA holds the wastegate tightly, is you can disconnect the WGA rod it will give you a better idea of the condition of the bushing.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
7,180 Posts
Exactly what he said. Just adding that I own and use a Mityvac hand pump for jobs like this.

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you can attach a bicycle tube air valve to a piece of vaccum hose and plug it to the WGA. Use a hand or bicycle pump. Around 6 PSI it should start moving out ,fully extended around 12 PSI. Don't use an air compressor. It should hold the 12 psi. Since the WGA holds the wastegate tightly, is you can disconnect the WGA rod it will give you a better idea of the condition of the bushing.
Exactly what he said. Just adding that I own and use a Mityvac hand pump for jobs like this.
Alrighty gotcha. I actually have a hand vacuum pump so I’ll use that.
As a added note, I got my hands on an Snap-On Modis Ultra scanner that can read the WGDC value, so I’m going to run a data log and see what’s going on when the turbo goes into bypass mode. (Turns out that’s an actual value viewable within the PCM BTW, and that’s the actual term for my supposed “limp mode” in this case).
Another note, I found out the bypass mode can and will enable not just in 5th or 6th gear, it happens specifically when in low speed and I gradually load up the motor under low-boost scenarios, regardless of what gear it’s in.
Also, is there a potentiality for a failing vacuum pump to be causing this?

TL;DR: I’m going to gather some data and report back, in the mean time, please let me know if you guys figure anything else out. Thanks again guys!

·
Super Moderator
7,180 Posts
Make sure you are testing the wastegate under pressure with the hand pump, not vacuum! A failed vacuum pump wouldnt effect wastegate control. But it would effect BPV operation and the brake pedal would be rock hard

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Make sure you are testing the wastegate under pressure with the hand pump, not vacuum! A failed vacuum pump wouldnt effect wastegate control. But it would effect BPV operation and the brake pedal would be rock hard
So what do you mean by “under pressure, not vacuum”? And yeah very true, I should’ve considered the brake pedal.

·
Super Moderator
7,180 Posts
So what do you mean by “under pressure, not vacuum”? And yeah very true, I should’ve considered the brake pedal.
Typically with these hand pumps you can select "vacuum" or "pressure" via a switch on the side. Meaning when you pump your hand you supply either vacuum or pressure out of the hose. You need to supply pressure to the wastegate. It does not operate from vacuum

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Typically with these hand pumps you can select "vacuum" or "pressure" via a switch on the side. Meaning when you pump your hand you supply either vacuum or pressure out of the hose. You need to supply pressure to the wastegate. It does not operate from vacuum
Ahhh alrighty, then I’m going to have to buy a new one since mine just does vacuum to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Alrighty so I got around to running a data log and here’s what I noticed:
During a full WOT pull on the highway the WGDC% topped out at 47, and one time doing a 3rd gear WOT pull it topped at 49%. It never saw anything higher than that. When the car eventually went into bypass mode I was doing a light low throttle pull in 5th doing a passing maneuver in the highway and it topped at 22% then dropped dead and went into bypass.
So I was thinking, what if the actuator rod is out of adjustment? I’m going to pull the car into the shop today and get back there and check it, so what’s it supposed to be set at?
Otherwise, is any of that data log useful towards diagnosis?

·
Registered
2013 ST2
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
More updates, got to the actuator a bit better today, found the rod has a touch of play, I’m assuming that’s bad and I need a new actuator. If so, where should I look for a stock one? Unless you guys think I should just get a turbo smart WGA…

·
Super Moderator
11,498 Posts
More updates, got to the actuator a bit better today, found the rod has a touch of play, I’m assuming that’s bad and I need a new actuator. If so, where should I look for a stock one? Unless you guys think I should just get a turbo smart WGA…
Ford does not sell just the waste gate acuator, as far as I know you would have to buy the whole turbo to get one.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts