Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Forum. 2016 Focus ST ST3, currently with about 18,000 miles, bone stock.

I was driving to work today and noticed that the car seems to be pulling power (torque?) in gears 2 through 6 while accelerating whenever the car should be making boost. The boost gage rises to the half-way point for about a second and then falls repeatedly and the car is not pulling hard like it normally does. The engine also shutters like the clutch is slipping or if there was a misfire but no CELs are thrown. Light throttle feels normal.

This happened at about 12,000 miles last Winter as well. At first I thought it was because of the cold temperatures. I checked all 4 spark plugs and the air filter but everything looked ok.

I am unable to figure out how to reproduce the problem. It made no difference if I put it in sport mode or turn ESC off, whether the A/C or climate control is on or off, regardless of the temperature outside, or if the car is warmed up or not.

Strange thing is, turning it off and back on corrects the problem at least until it (randomly) happens again.

Anyone ever experience this phenomenon or have any thoughts? I want to take it to the dealer but I feel it is moot if I/they cannot reproduce the problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
New to the Forum. 2016 Focus ST ST3, currently with about 18,000 miles, bone stock.

I was driving to work today and noticed that the car seems to be pulling power (torque?) in gears 2 through 6 while accelerating whenever the car should be making boost. The boost gage rises to the half-way point for about a second and then falls repeatedly and the car is not pulling hard like it normally does. The engine also shutters like the clutch is slipping or if there was a misfire but no CELs are thrown. Light throttle feels normal.

This happened at about 12,000 miles last Winter as well. At first I thought it was because of the cold temperatures. I checked all 4 spark plugs and the air filter but everything looked ok.

I am unable to figure out how to reproduce the problem. It made no difference if I put it in sport mode or turn ESC off, whether the A/C or climate control is on or off, regardless of the temperature outside, or if the car is warmed up or not.

Strange thing is, turning it off and back on corrects the problem at least until it (randomly) happens again.

Anyone ever experience this phenomenon or have any thoughts? I want to take it to the dealer but I feel it is moot if I/they cannot reproduce the problem.
Check if there was a recall for the Powertrain Control Module, I'm sure there was. There is an issue that causes the car to go into "limp mode" and turning the car off resets it, but it it can randomly happen again unless Ford flashes the PCM.
It's happened to me once and I basically couldn't get the rpms over about 3000, not sure if this was the case with yours too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can definitely get the rpms over 3000 but I feel like im going to damage it if i push it any farther. The car feels like it's missing the turbo all together and maybe a cylinder. It's a shame because the car has been awesome otherwise.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order as it is still under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
You said you checked the spark plugs and they looked ok; did you check the gap? If the gap gets too wide the spark will blow out. Set gap to .028 or replace plugs with properly gaped plugs. These ecoboost engines go through plugs pretty quick.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would check the plug gap like ddfred said. I checked mine at 10,000 miles and my car was still stock and they were like .032-.035 I check the gaps on the plugs every time I change the oil now.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You said you checked the spark plugs and they looked ok; did you check the gap? If the gap gets too wide the spark will blow out. Set gap to .028 or replace plugs with properly gaped plugs. These ecoboost engines go through plugs pretty quick.
Legit question- do you know why that is?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Maybe related but probably not & my problem is absolutely minor to the point its almost not worth bringing up.

Last couple days driving to work, just holding steady 2-4K RPM heading down the highway (not using cruise control) I have fealt the occasional random stutter. No loss of power, nothing except it feels through the driver pedal like the computer/engine makes an adjustment that takes things off perfect rythm for a second, who knows as there is no light or anything. Just seems like something I am making up but of course I never noticed this for the first year of the driving the car. I am going to check my plugs (at 22000km = 13670 miles) next time I get a chance and will report what I see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts