Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 700 or so miles yesterday and today. Topped it off at the end of the little voyage and it ran rough enough briefly while idling to shake the car. Started up fine, idled fine, briefly rough as hell and then back to...normal I think. It was as rough as a clutch chattering when you don't give enough gas. Only drove it 1/4 mile after that. All has been well with the car, I did do one quick pull up to 125 and shut it down a few min prior on a long lonely stretch. I think that's the only time I've had it over 100. WTF was that? Car has about 29k miles on it. Oh, recall not performed for the purge valve. After folks had been having issues with the reflash I have been hesitant to get it done.
Jon

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, did a Google. I guess make sure not to top it off and if it persists it's an evap issue. That's what I took.

·
Registered
817 Posts
How low was your fuel when you did that long 125 mile pull? Coz I'm guessing that was before you refilled it? What flash issues were you hearing about? I think everyone that's had it done had no issues expecting they uninstalled their accessport first and then reinstalled it after the update. Cobb updated any firmware that was needed. I have an 18 and had the Purge valve flash done and then I reinstalled my accessport runs fine.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No tune on the car. Drivetrain 100% stock. 125mph pull was pretty quick, ran it up and shut it down. It was reading 40 miles to empty on that pull. Can't recall what stupid issues they were having, basically a few people said if the car is fine leave it alone and don't get the recall done.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No tune on the car. Drivetrain 100% stock. 125mph pull was pretty quick, ran it up and shut it down. It was reading 40 miles to empty on that pull. Can't recall what stupid issues they were having, basically a few people said if the car is fine leave it alone and don't get the recall done.

Get the recall doesn't affect anything anymore. just gives you a light in the dash if there's a problem with the EVAP system. That way you know before you're stranded somewhere. If there is an issue with the EVAP system the gauge could possibly not be reading correctly. I never had an issue with my gaug or EVAP system that I know of I had the recall done last year anyway.

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
One of the evap issues, and electrical grounding issues is a very inaccurate fuel/miles to empty gauge. My buddy actually ran out of gas last week with 24 miles to empty, lmao.

Try not to push her hard on that low of gas, if the tank pump can't grab fuel, you are going lean. Lean is kaboom territory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Should I be pushing to have the evap can replaced or anything like that when the recall is done?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW last 2 tanks avg 26.9 mpg. Almost all hwy (75-85mph). WTH I thought I had an exonobox. 😀 Dash read 28.1 for the same duration so it was off by 1.2mpg. Although the RS wheels are increasing the tire diameter ever so slightly so maybe I'm more like 27.4, IDK. Was hoping for 30 on road trips but it still beats the Powerstroke.

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
Get the recall done
Never top off the gas
Always try to refuel before the light comes on
Funny thing, I have always topped off my gastank. Threw caution to the wind. I replaced my purge valve myself, as soon as I read about the recall, i bought one before **** hit the fan, lol. Never actually had any evap issues, but I'm a special snowflake.

Thanks guys. Should I be pushing to have the evap can replaced or anything like that when the recall is done?
The recall replaces the purge valve with an updated one iirc, and then adds programming to the obd.

BTW last 2 tanks avg 26.9 mpg. Almost all hwy (75-85mph). WTH I thought I had an exonobox. 😀 Dash read 28.1 for the same duration so it was off by 1.2mpg. Although the RS wheels are increasing the tire diameter ever so slightly so maybe I'm more like 27.4, IDK. Was hoping for 30 on road trips but it still beats the Powerstroke.
Gotta keep her around 60-70, foot out of her. Tbh though, the ST is not an econobox, its a performance orientated hot hatch. Some people have squeaked like 34 plus mpg out of it. As my car stands now, i average around 22mpg, mixed driving, and probably a bit faster average speed than most, lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Speed limit here is 75-80 so I won't be doing 60. 😀 I pretty much keep it at 80, wife rolls 80-85. 34+ is looking a bit out of reach. The tank where I did more driving than her was 28.5mpg and the tank where she was driving more and rolling 85 for a while was 25.6mpg. I was thinking yesterday though, after I bought it I was a little bit bummed that I hadn't gotten an RS but with the RS MPG would probably be atrocious. I think this is a good compromise of peppy and MPG, plus I would have spent nearly twice as much. So cost of ownership is way less overall with the ST. I'm happy with my purchase. Pretty sweet car for $17k with 25k miles on it and 2 more years of drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
That's just dumb but hey, go nuts.
Lol, well it's only dumb if it caused damage. Which it hasn't for me yet. It's still not advised though, and I do not recommend it. Just saying that it isn't such a huge deal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Duece, I'm not angry. I'm upset. 😑

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
Duece, I'm not angry. I'm upset. 😑
I hear yah, with my commute I fill every two days. Which is also why I top off, I need every little bit of gas I can get. I remember days when I was getting close to 400 miles to a tank. Now I get around 230-240 miles per a tank. Then again, I don't drive for economy, nor did I build my car for economy. I would like to have a bigger gas tank.

You could pick up a fiesta ST, they actually get great gas mileage, lol.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's BS that topping off is throwing caution to the wind on these cars. I have literally topped off every vehicle I have ever owned, mostly Phords. What the hell is that all about? That's a rediculous quirk for a car that isn't from Italy. I actually checked out a FiST that was new at the dealership for roughly the same price. To little, no cargo space, and also the salesman that was trying to get me to test drive it, well I didn't like him so I wasn't interested anyway.

I am willing to take a little hit on MPG though to keep from violating a cardinal rule of mine : to never again own a car that I don't like.

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
That's BS that topping off is throwing caution to the wind on these cars. I have literally topped off every vehicle I have ever owned, mostly Phords. What the hell is that all about? That's a rediculous quirk for a car that isn't from Italy. I actually checked out a FiST that was new at the dealership for roughly the same price. To little, no cargo space, and also the salesman that was trying to get me to test drive it, well I didn't like him so I wasn't interested anyway.

I am willing to take a little hit on MPG though to keep from violating a cardinal rule of mine : to never again own a car that I don't like.

Lol, its about the capless gas fill, and potentially the top off would put some fuel in the evap system. I have seen the purge valve go bad on all cars, regardless of top off, so I'm pretty sure it's just BS from the earlier purge valve failures. Little did we know it was really a defective part that became part of a recall. The purge valve has been updated.

I have a special place in my heart for the FiST, my buddy has one, and the 2015 plus are reap nice, for a go kart, lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding the purge valve recall and just FYI, when manufacturers make a revision to something, they almost always take advantage of the release and toss in other stuff. The dealership may or may not know what else is in there. I had problems after the flash and they never did get it completely straightened out. Ended up ‘fixing’ it myself by installing a Ford Performance calibration. I have a separate post on that, but for some reason won’t allow me to paste URL here...

·
Registered
16 Posts
fwiw, it seems the st isn't very aerodynamic. i get about 42mpg at 50mph, 35mpg at 60mph, 30mpg at 70mph, 28mpg at 75mph. my wife's edge, which is about 2' taller and 2' longer than the st, has the 2.0l turbo and awd, gets about 38mpg at 50mph, 35mpg at 60mph, 32mpg at 70mph, 30mpg at 75mph. this is all from the dash readout while being bored on long trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts