Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to raise the factory suspension? If so, by how much and is it hard to do?

Registered
what? the factory struts in the front and springs in the rear are NOT adjustable. and I would say maxed.

I have seen lifted STs not sure what they did to lift it. I guess you could get blocks to put between the strut and the body and block for the rear... that was "lift" the car but be "factory suspension"

Registered
Rebel Devil was supposedly making something, but I don't know where he is at with it. Otherwise, I know of no other kits out there. Perhaps there are some gravel/tarmac coilovers for this purpose, to at least maintain stock height without lowering. But that kind of setup is expensive... You guys in the UK would have better access to options than we would in the US.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, to allow a bit more ground clearance for my new cup spoilers and the splitter I plan to get. It shouldn't be by much, seeing that I'm also planning on fitting 19in wheels, but raising the suspension by a tad, maybe an inch at the very most would help. I might even only need half an inch.

Super Moderator
That would raise your center of gravity and quite possibly ruin the handling of the car.

Registered
i know two cars running 19s... dont need to lift for those.

England must have some steep driveways or something? I know lots with cups and splitters and way low ... they just drive differently I am sure.

I just couldn't imagine this car being higher than stock... stock is so high

Premium Member
You can lift it. Rebel Devil has done a car up called the NAS-T. it's on Youtube.
They will be releasing a kit for it here shortly I assume.
It has a Durtec engine in it but they were just bored.

Check it out, Mike is a pretty cool guy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know two cars running 19s... dont need to lift for those.
Really? I was hoping they would. I was asking just in case I found that I needed to. In all honesty I haven't really had much trouble so far since I fitted the spoilers. My car can even get over some of our serious speed bumps without any trouble. However, and really ironically, the only place I've had trouble is the other day, when I parked in the Ford Mountune customer parking of all places! The dealership is situated in an old ex-cattle market and they've never fully converted the place to take modern cars, especially cars that are sport oriented. As a result the entrance to their customer parking is up a very steep ramp. When I reversed out the nose thumped down on the ramp! At first they did a Basil Fawlty on me and told me I shouldn't have parked my Mountune modified car in their Mountune customer car park! :mad: Now I'm arguing it out with them so they'll fix my scratches. Even though it was only done because they're a-holes for not converting their customer parking, I've still become alerted about the possible hazards I might face in the future. Like I said, I'm hoping the 19in wheels will do the job. If not I might have to resort to air suspension so I can raise the nose in certain situations.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always planned for the 19in wheels, along with a flared body kit. The 19in would allow for an extra half an inch clearance, which I suspected wouldn't be enough, especially once the splitter is fitted. That's why I expect I'll need some air suspension, on the front at least, so I can lift it up for any awkward places. The rear I think I could make do with fitting regular sports suspension?

Registered
I've always planned for the 19in wheels, along with a flared body kit. The 19in would allow for an extra half an inch clearance, which I suspected wouldn't be enough, especially once the splitter is fitted. That's why I expect I'll need some air suspension, on the front at least, so I can lift it up for any awkward places. The rear I think I could make do with fitting regular sports suspension?
when going with larger wheels, you normally size the tires appropriately so the overall height doesnt charge. The RS runs a 235/35-19 vs the ST running a 235/40-18. Comparing the oem tires from the RS, they list the height at 25.5" and the same tires in ST size at 25.4". Thats about a 2.5mm difference in overall height, I'd call that negligible difference

Not sure where you are coming up with the allowing or needing .5" of clearance from based on wheel choice. However, air suspension would give you the ability to raise and lower the car at your whim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when going with larger wheels, you normally size the tires appropriately so the overall height doesnt charge. The RS runs a 235/35-19 vs the ST running a 235/40-18. Comparing the oem tires from the RS, they list the height at 25.5" and the same tires in ST size at 25.4". Thats about a 2.5mm difference in overall height, I'd call that negligible difference

Not sure where you are coming up with the allowing or needing .5" of clearance from based on wheel choice. However, air suspension would give you the ability to raise and lower the car at your whim
I don't get why you need to cut the wheel arches for the fender flares in order to fit larger diameter wheels if you have to change the thickness of the tires to match the original setup? I was getting the flares partly for looks, but also because I wanted to fit the larger wheels whilst retaining the same thickness of tire that I'm used to, for ride comfort.

Registered
I don't get why you need to cut the wheel arches for the fender flares in order to fit larger diameter wheels if you have to change the thickness of the tires to match the original setup? I was getting the flares partly for looks, but also because I wanted to fit the larger wheels whilst retaining the same thickness of tire that I'm used to, for ride comfort.
I may have misread, you are adding arches/wider fenders? So that means you are probably going wider wheels and/or lower offset. I took larger wheels just to mean going from 18" to 19" and then just keeping a similar setup by sizing tires to the same height/width.

If you are going for a wider setup with flares/cut fenders, thats a different can of worms. Assuming you want a wider setup and still keep the wheels inside the fenders, that involves more planning to get the right size wheel/offset/tire combo for your intended goals. Still I wouldnt think you would need more suspension travel, unless you are aiming for some rally type driving

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm going for either 19x9.5 or 19x10 wheels. I'll have to ask a couple more questions from the retailer before I make my final decision. What I want is for the wheel to be within the arch at "normal-ish" level and not up inside the arch like a clown's car, if you get my meaning? I wasn't planning on raising or even changing the suspension, but if having the cups, not to mention the splitter, are going to cause me problems in cities and towns where they haven't considered sports cars, then I'll probably have to have air suspension so I can raise the car in towns whilst lowering it out of town.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Registered
It looks like every other air suspension kit that I have ever seen with the bags. Also, the color of the components is going to most likely depend on what company (Fortune Auto uses green, Bilstein uses blue and yellow, YCW/MFactory has used both red and black, etc.), so I wouldn't put much stock in the color of the setup.

Another example of the kit that someone had for sale in the classifieds section: http://www.focusst.org/forum/parts-sale/99185-fs-brand-new-airlift-performance-struts-used-accuair-vu4-managment-complete-kit.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts