Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting question I haven't gotten much information regarding, is before considering a whole turbo upgrade, has anyone experimented with raising the boost on the factory turbo with a tune? What I've gathered is a constant hold of 16-17 PSI, but is it capable of 22-25 PSI with supporting mods?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
An interesting question I haven't gotten much information regarding, is before considering a whole turbo upgrade, has anyone experimented with raising the boost on the factory turbo with a tune? What I've gathered is a constant hold of 16-17 PSI, but is it capable of 22-25 PSI with supporting mods?
You can get high PSI #'s but it will not be able to supply it for long at higher RPM's. It physically can't move enough air, therefore the reason for a larger turbo.

Reactions: o0utka5t82

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I remember reading somewhere on here that they made or were going to make an internal "kit" for the factory turbo. Don't know what happened to it though.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
I remember reading somewhere on here that they made or were going to make an internal "kit" for the factory turbo. Don't know what happened to it though.
I believe making the franken-turbo proved inefficient based on the price you pay vs just buying a more efficient larger turbo like the 2860 which makes better more efficient power and spools like 300rpm later than stock. Which would have costed hardly any more than the kit did. Still waiting for Ford to throw a KO4 or something into our cars to attack the GTI again. Those MK7s are hardly even in our class anymore with their power output. My tuned FBO car against a stock one is too close for comfort...plus they have an LSD. Ugh

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
I remember a while back reading something about the factory making a kit, but have not heard anything since. I know that others have tried to change the internals and ended up with a large amount of surge and things flying apart.

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
The factory turbo is tiny and can only pass so much air (which it is already doing), pushing it beyond this just generates hotter air, not more air.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The factory turbo is tiny and can only pass so much air (which it is already doing), pushing it beyond this just generates hotter air, not more air.
In comes the intercooler, charge pipes and WMI. My concern is whether or not it's worth it if you're trying to get about 325 WHP or to splurge on a bigger turbo for 375-400 WHP.

·
Super Moderator
6,651 Posts
In comes the intercooler, charge pipes and WMI. My concern is whether or not it's worth it if you're trying to get about 325 WHP or to splurge on a bigger turbo for 375-400 WHP.
It's all been tried; with the proper tune, water meth injection and/or e30 with all the necessary supporting mods you can get right around 300 hp to the wheels. Bigger turbo is the way to go; you won't have to max everything out to get the power you want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all been tried; with the proper tune, water meth injection and/or e30 with all the necessary supporting mods you can get right around 300 hp to the wheels. Bigger turbo is the way to go; you won't have to max everything out to get the power you want.
I figured but it was worth the shot to investigate. Thanks a Ton! I shall be ordering my Gen II 2867 here shortly.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST
5 Posts
I believe making the franken-turbo proved inefficient based on the price you pay vs just buying a more efficient larger turbo like the 2860 which makes better more efficient power and spools like 300rpm later than stock. Which would have costed hardly any more than the kit did. Still waiting for Ford to throw a KO4 or something into our cars to attack the GTI again. Those MK7s are hardly even in our class anymore with their power output. My tuned FBO car against a stock one is too close for comfort...plus they have an LSD. Ugh
What do you mean by to attack the GTi? I can easily pull hard on a stage 1 MK7 GTi and have in 3 40 rolls and a 60 roll and my car has the stock turbo with stage 3 FBO. Are you referring to the GTi being able to push more boost with fewer upgrades? Although I agree, attempting to modify the stock turbos parts just isn't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
What do you mean by to attack the GTi? I can easily pull hard on a stage 1 MK7 GTi and have in 3 40 rolls and a 60 roll and my car has the stock turbo with stage 3 FBO. Are you referring to the GTi being able to push more boost with fewer upgrades? Although I agree, attempting to modify the stock turbos parts just isn't worth it.
I just want to point out that the comment I made that you replied to was over 2 years ago
But yeah...I was really just referring to the fact that mod for mod it's no contest between our car and the Mk7 GTI. An APR tuned "Stage 1" GTI on 93oct should make roughly 288whp and 337ft/lbs of wtq. That is 10-15 more HP and around the same TQ (some STs can make up to 350-360ft/lbs rather easily tho) as the average (I said average) FBO Focus ST on 93 (not e30). So the guy you raced either can't drive, you can drive very well, his car is tuned very conservatively, or his car has an issue lol. Either way, if he was FBO with the stock turbo 93oct he would be like 310whp/355wtq at least and pretty handily fend off an ST with the LSD and especially if it has the Unitronic tune on his trans. If it's a manual that gives the ST a better chance for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST
5 Posts
I just want to point out that the comment I made that you replied to was over 2 years ago
But yeah...I was really just referring to the fact that mod for mod it's no contest between our car and the Mk7 GTI. An APR tuned "Stage 1" GTI on 93oct should make roughly 288whp and 337ft/lbs of wtq. That is 10-15 more HP and around the same TQ (some STs can make up to 350-360ft/lbs rather easily tho) as the average (I said average) FBO Focus ST on 93 (not e30). So the guy you raced either can't drive, you can drive very well, his car is tuned very conservatively, or his car has an issue lol. Either way, if he was FBO with the stock turbo 93oct he would be like 310whp/355wtq at least and pretty handily fend off an ST with the LSD and especially if it has the Unitronic tune on his trans. If it's a manual that gives the ST a better chance for sure.

Yes lol I have a tendency to not really care how old it is if I feel I can add something useful. But to answer that, he does have a stick, I like to think I can drive lmao but we were doing gear for gear pulls not exactly incorporating shifting as much. He is only stage one with a cold air intake. I'm going to assume it's a conservative tune given that it is a cobb off the shelf stage 1 tune and he only hits 30psi when it over boosts. But I also completely forget that the gti can be automatic which is a huge game changer(even though I'll always prefer stick). But I see what you mean now, the GTI has more potential with less upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
8,414 Posts

You lost?

Lmao

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
You lost?

Lmao
Hahaha, tapatalk apparently pings me when I get mentioned...I miss this part of town. I gotta come visit more. Been so busy with work and finishing degree this year

·
Super Moderator
8,414 Posts
Hahaha, tapatalk apparently pings me when I get mentioned...I miss this part of town. I gotta come visit more. Been so busy with work and finishing degree this year

Busy man,

You rolling out to Carlisle this year? If the date sticks, lol

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
Busy man,

You rolling out to Carlisle this year? If the date sticks, lol
I'd like to. That date sticking is a big ? at the moment and I'm not positive I'll wanna go if we are all wearing masks in the heat of August...but we shall see. I got another motorcycle so that's been taking a lot of my remaining free time.

Once Troeg's opens back up though hit me up if you're over my way my man! Got some carry out from them recently for the memories lmao

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question if anyone can help? I bought a 2016 Focus St Stage 2 with the Cobb option , or that’s what the sticker says. I found out after I bought the car that the motor in it is the 2nd motor from my dealership. I didn’t buy the car from the dealership. I also worked for Ford in a Assembly Plant for 6 years. After I bought the car it had overheating issues. They resolved that. Then it started again and this time it cost the dealership right at 4000$. I don’t have a Cobb tuner yet but I do run a Bluetooth OBDII with the pro version. I have checked my car over and over and produce right at 22lbs of boost. I have been back home for awhile and they only 91 octane instead of 93. Any thoughts from anyone?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I’m not sure what it is you’re asking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts