Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Radiator shrouds

41K views 137 replies 41 participants last post by  Q8_TwinTurbo 
#1 ·
I want to gauge interest in this new product. The point of the shrouds is to direct air THROUGH the radiator at speed, and not around it. There is a huge gap between the radiator and the front bumper and support, air can leak through here into the lower pressure zones near the wheel well, I plan on sealing this gap off and having true ducting for those who want to run cooler water and oil temps.

If you live in a hot climate or track your car, this will be a a great addition.

Thoughts?

#11 ·
First problem I talked with kevin about was intercoolers. Before we even got into the radiator shrouds I wanted to make a modular shroud that would fit all brand intercoolers. Thats the intention.

#17 ·
The 2015 and 2016's already has a shroud which directs air from the upper grill to the radiator.

#22 ·
I'm interested but not sure an upper shroud is necessary?

Even with an aftermarket FMIC (most common brands/sizes, e.g. Steeda, cp-e, Depo...) one can cut off the bottom of the AGS frame, remove the blades from the top half and use that to retain the upper radiator shroud.

The trick (I know you know this) with the bottom half will be to collect air from the entirety of the bottom grill opening and neck it down to whatever size the FMIC frame is.

Additionally, there needs to be no (edge) gap between the back of the FMIC and the front of the radiator else air which has passed through the FMIC will then just leak out around the sides of the radiator. For the Steedas, cp-e's, and Depos, all the installs I have seen this won't be a problem. But for the poster on page 1 with the FMIC mounted in front of the crash bar, you can see there is a huge gap between the back of the FMIC and the front of the radiator that would need to be addressed.

Hope that helps!
Mark

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17
#30 · (Edited)
Most of you have been following me or have been apart of several discussions on the cooling topic but I'll give some history for those just joining us. October, about three seconds into the this video while testing Velossa Techs brake duct system the car goes into limp mode. This happened twice with coolant temps as high as 241*F.

November, Some improved guides were installed. Data logs were sent off to Alex at Stratified for review. The conclusion is that the guides made a significant difference and provided adiquite cooling for a car putting out over 350whp for five 20 minute sessions.

Text Line Parallel Plot Rectangle

It's a lot of clutter, but the line you should be interested in is the orange one on the top of the graph.

December. What I've learned is, "how much power do you want to make and how long do you need to make it for." Start your bullet proofing with this in mind.

Thanks to Alex@Stratified and Hemicouple@Stratified Reading a single pull data log can be tedious, I can't imaging going through several 20 minute sessions.

#31 ·
Most of you have been following me or have been apart of several discussions on the cooling topic but I'll give some history for those just joining us. October, about three seconds into the this video while testing Velossa Techs brake duct system the car goes into limp mode. This happened twice with coolant temps as high as 241*F.

November, Some improved guides were installed. Data logs were sent off to Alex at Stratified for review. The conclusion is that the guides made a significant difference and provided adiquite cooling for a car putting out over 350whp for five 20 minute sessions.

View attachment 117770

It's a lot of clutter, but the line you should be interested in is the orange one on the top of the graph.

December. What I've learned is, "how much power do you want to make and how long do you need to make it for." Start your bullet proofing with this in mind.

Thanks to Alex@Stratified. Reading a single pull data log can be tedious, I can't imaging going through several 20 minute sessions.

Gotta love actual data, to back up a product. To many companies don't bother to do proper testing. Gotta love Velossa Tech for that.

#41 ·
I want to gauge interest in this new product. The point of the shrouds is to direct air THROUGH the radiator at speed, and not around it. There is a huge gap between the radiator and the front bumper and support, air can leak through here into the lower pressure zones near the wheel well, I plan on sealing this gap off and having true ducting for those who want to run cooler water and oil temps. If you live in a hot climate or track your car, this will be a a great addition. Thoughts?
I'm in. :D

#45 ·
+1 interested

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.