Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Unless your tracking your car in a competition I don't think the weight will affect you negatively. Also having the extra weight upfront does help with cornering. Once you press on the brakes your car naturally shifts its weight forward helping your front wheels grip better and helping turn in. Sent from another garage.
No no no no no.

This car already asks too much of the upfront rubber. Adding weight is the worst possible idea.

Between my FMIC, charge pipes, rotors, and wheels, I have taken 40lbs off the front and I can tell the difference in track and AutoX.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No no no no no.

This car already asks too much of the upfront rubber. Adding weight is the worst possible idea.

Between my FMIC, charge pipes, rotors, and wheels, I have taken 40lbs off the front and I can tell the difference in track and AutoX.
Granted, the stock FMIC is a flyweight (6 lbs), and since I just admitted a few posts back that I don't log data, I can't wow you with any numbers, but I could sure feel loss of power toward end of track sessions, so for an extra 16 lbs or so, I think I'll give it a try. The DEPO 3.5" is around 22 lbs, not 30-35 as I've read somewhere on this forum. I do need some lighter wheels, for sure, though.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Granted, the stock FMIC is a flyweight (6 lbs), and since I just admitted a few posts back that I don't log data, I can't wow you with any numbers, but I could sure feel loss of power toward end of track sessions, so for an extra 16 lbs or so, I think I'll give it a try. The DEPO 3.5" is around 22 lbs, not 30-35 as I've read somewhere on this forum. I do need some lighter wheels, for sure, though.
Havn't been able to heat soak that intercooler on track either.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is what I ended up with. Reduced the frontal area of the crash bar considerably using 2.5 " tubing. Also added a couple of top corner pieces after this picture was taken to seal off and allow the stock engine air intake to see some extra airflow. Sorry, Velossa Tech, just couldn't wait any longer.

View attachment 127833
did you cut the crash bar? and then replace with a tube? first off thats bad ass. Second, i'm looking to do the same thing, shroud wise and add ducts off the side of the shrouding by the intercooler. I think extra pressure will bleed into the ducts for brake cooling better than using the foglight holes. what do you think? also i think shrouding the underside of the intercooler would be beneficial as well.

what on earth did you cut the brash bar with?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
did you cut the crash bar? and then replace with a tube? first off thats bad ass. Second, i'm looking to do the same thing, shroud wise and add ducts off the side of the shrouding by the intercooler. I think extra pressure will bleed into the ducts for brake cooling better than using the foglight holes. what do you think? also i think shrouding the underside of the intercooler would be beneficial as well.

I don't think he cut it, looks like he welded on half of tube to give it a smoother edge? Idk looks good. I made mine out of kydex and it was super easy, cheap, and is effective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts

Crash bar wasn't that hard to cut; did it with an electric hi-speed cut-off wheel. Basically just cut away the top and bottom flanges and opened up the front so I could just slide a full round tube halfway into it (2" exhaust tubing IIRC). I would think that air would bleed off nicely from this area for brake cooling, but I just scoop some from underneath using the Kydex strips method. I tried to fit the side pieces tightly all the way up so that would help feed the engine air intake as well using just the stock piece because then I wouldn't need to hang a snorkel in there and steal airflow away from the radiator

·
Registered
414 Posts
IMG_5183.JPG This is what I ended up with. It's made out of kydex and aluminum, rivited together. Driving at palmer this week on Thursday, so we'll see how things go. I'm also getting revisions on a new turbo tune, so who knows how hard it'll be running. I do have some velox hood vents to install, that's going to make the whole system work better.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
View attachment 259881 This is what I ended up with. It's made out of kydex and aluminum, rivited together. Driving at palmer this week on Thursday, so we'll see how things go. I'm also getting revisions on a new turbo tune, so who knows how hard it'll be running. I do have some velox hood vents to install, that's going to make the whole system work better.
nafsucof, do you have any dimensions for your install? it'll be very helpful if i can get some numbers as a base to fab one. thanks!

101 - 111 of 111 Posts