Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just went big turbo as y'all prolly already know you have to change your charge pipe to an exhale kit. I got it installed today and started and drove it for the first time in weeks due to the delay from cp-e with the exhale kit. Anyways everything's all hooked up cars on no leaks puts like a kitten. I than started to prep for datalogging so I got all my parameters set and go to do my first 3rd gear full throttle pull I hear a loud tapping sound I'm like what the hell was that. I do my second third gear pull I hear it as soon as I hit the throttle and than nothing . I finish doing all 4 logs go home jack the car up and the hard pipe to the exhale kit is touching in areas that it shouldn't I go to see what it was that was causing the issue and I notice the radiator bottom brackets on both sides on the bottom or completely broken and they were made outta plastic what the hell Ford. Now I gotta figure out what the hell to do because it's tearing up my charge pipe and probably hitting my brand new HKS ssq as well. What can I do to fix this permanently besides putting the same old oem plastic mounts back in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The photos show the bottom two mounts to the radiator driver and passenger side both plastic studs being broken. The photos also show the problem that it is causing with the brand new exhale kit and BOV I'm almost positive the vacuum port to the BOV is getting it the worst. Will not be driving until I can figure out how to fix permanently would be my best option

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
View attachment 391165 View attachment 391166 View attachment 391167 View attachment 391168 View attachment 391169 View attachment 391170 View attachment 391171 View attachment 391172 View attachment 391173 View attachment 391174

The photos show the bottom two mounts to the radiator driver and passenger side both plastic studs being broken. The photos also show the problem that it is causing with the brand new exhale kit and BOV I'm almost positive the vacuum port to the BOV is getting it the worst. Will not be driving until I can figure out how to fix permanently would be my best option

Lmfao how did you pull that off? Obviously something improper was done during your Cold side pipe install. First time I've seen someone shear off both lower rad supports.

·
3,061 Posts
Lmfao how did you pull that off? Obviously something improper was done during your Cold side pipe install. First time I've seen someone shear off both lower rad supports.
My guess would be when he lowered the radiator support to get the pipe on, the rad came out of its locators, and he ran the lower support bolts back in with it like that. The only other option is if the car was wrecked.

Reactions: turboguy327

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
My guess would be when he lowered the radiator support to get the pipe on, the rad came out of its locators, and he ran the lower support bolts back in with it like that. The only other option is if the car was wrecked.
Thats my guess too, or there was improper flexing of the assembly against the lower rad mount somehow.

I usually like just hearing from the OP, cause I already have the theories in my head, lol.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
3,061 Posts
Thats my guess too, or there was improper flexing of the assembly against the lower rad mount somehow.

I usually like just hearing from the OP, cause I already have the theories in my head, lol.
The way he wrote the 1st post lead me to believe he didn't know it even happened, hence me throwing my 2 cents in.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
The way he wrote the 1st post lead me to believe he didn't know it even happened, hence me throwing my 2 cents in.
I like to enter their minds. Like watching a serial killer documentary.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Well **** OP idk if you can fix that short of replacing the whole radiator.

Those pins go into the end tanks of the rad right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
You guys are lowering the radiator support for this install? I just removed the plastic undertrays and was able to get mine in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was like that when I bought it. Now that the hard pipe is there you can hear it hitting

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't lower anything the plastic stud coming off the radiator had already been broken when I bought the car sorry I'm just now getting to this thread rubber bushings are shot as well gotta figure out where I can get those I guess the previous owner had hit something cause there's a little damage that was repaired on the bumper

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well **** OP idk if you can fix that short of replacing the whole radiator.

Those pins go into the end tanks of the rad right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes took a closer look today either I gotta replace the whole radiator or figure out how to fix the plastic stud points

1 - 14 of 14 Posts