Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From where does the rack & pinion get its fluid? Is it from the power steering system?

If you have a leak in the rack & pionion where all the tubes and hoses connect to it, will the rack & pinion system maintain sufficient fluid if you keep the power steering reservoir full?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stomper; however, I wasn’t thinking of the rack & pinion on an ST but rather my old (2006) Focus.

I was under it the other day and it’s clearly leaking some type of fluid - it looks like reddish.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thanks Stomper; however, I wasn’t thinking of the rack & pinion on an ST but rather my old (2006) Focus.

I was under it the other day and it’s clearly leaking some type of fluid - it looks like reddish.

I believe that would just be your power steering fluid.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Depends on how bad the leak is. If you keep it topped up, you can probably leave it for a little while, though a high pressure line leak would be more of a problem. Alternatively, you could empty the system, take the power steering pump off of the belt, and drive without it. It also works as a primitive tire pressure gauge. You will want to plan your parking so that you only have to turn the steering with the tires rolling, but it shouldn't be too bad (I did this for a few months with a first generation Subaru Legacy). Keep in mind that it's probably not the best long term solution if you plan to repair the power steering later as you could get some internal corrosion without fluid in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts