Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my new NTO5's about a month ago. I got one light track weekend on them, and afterwards picked up a screw about 3" in from the sidewall into the surface of the tread. Screw was small in size, and was patched from the inside and not plugged.

Should I buy a new tire for racing? I'd still probably just keep the patched tire for whatever, but If I don't have to spend $165 for a new tire I'd be happy.

I reach sustained speeds of 110-120 for about 30 seconds, the rest of the track i'm on I spend most of the time at 60-80 through the longer corners and slower the rest of the time.

·
Registered
393 Posts
you're good to go. patch kits are way more stable then plugs. honestly when i use to work at a tire shop i'd use a plug/patch combo for extra hold. That being said if you have to patch it again then retire the tire. As long as it was installed right you shouldn't have any reason to worry.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I currently work and have worked in the Tire/Wheel industry for over 14 years and you have nothing to worry about as long as it was done to RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) standards. With that being said you do want a "plug" in the tire. Though the correct "plug" is not the conventional plug you buy at Autozone. The "plug" in an RMA guideline is used to fill the hole after it is drilled out with a carbide drill bit. The rubber filler plug prevents water/moisture from getting into the steel belt package and rusting the tire from within. Then the patch is applied from the inside to prevent air from leaking out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Discount Tire is who patched it. Not sure what their process is. Manager there stated that their patches shouldn't affect the tire in any way, other than that it drops the speed rating by a letter. NTO5's are W rated(160mph), so whatever is next under that. I think the next tier is 143 mph?

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discount Tire is who patched it. Not sure what their process is. Manager there stated that their patches shouldn't affect the tire in any way, other than that it drops the speed rating by a letter. NTO5's are W rated(160mph), so whatever is next under that. I think the next tier is 143 mph?
They follow RMA guidelines so you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you're using an NT05 you're not "racing". I am guessing you're doing HPDE. You more than likely won't see the same abuse on the tire compared to a tire used during an actual racing event, even though it feels that way to you. I have used a plug in a racing slick in the past and while not my first choice it was what I had and worked fine. You should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Ya, just like said above, you should be fine. I had a new set of star specs. a week after getting them I picked up a nail. I ended up just going to the parts store, bought a plug kit. I didnt even plug/patch or anything. I dunked in a tank to make sure it didnt leak. I ended up autoxing a whole season on that tire, and won that season as well, and did 4 HPDE events with no issues-- my headgasket, well that was another story.lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're using an NT05 you're not "racing". I am guessing you're doing HPDE. You more than likely won't see the same abuse on the tire compared to a tire used during an actual racing event, even though it feels that way to you. I have used a plug in a racing slick in the past and while not my first choice it was what I had and worked fine. You should be good to go.
Correct, HPDE and an SCCA Standing Start shoot-out event. Never wheel-to-wheel, just against the clock.

Thanks all. Makes me feel better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts