Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2014 ST2. The previous owner said he had done: Sound symposer delete, Roush CAI, 3" Catless downpipe, 3" "straight pipe".
There appears to be what I believe is a resonator (pictured below) as well. Correct me if I'm wrong still, learning.
My concern is that the car is a bit too loud, and over about 4,500RPM it sounds like a loud trumpet. I enjoy the deepness, gurgling and crackling but would like to avoid the "trumpet" sound at higher speeds.
I've seen mention of people using things like a Flowmaster Resonator to quiet their cars down a bit without losing too much character. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate your input.

·
Administrator
12,267 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2014 ST2. The previous owner said he had done: Sound symposer delete, Roush CAI, 3" Catless downpipe, 3" "straight pipe".
There appears to be what I believe is a resonator (pictured below) as well. Correct me if I'm wrong still, learning.
My concern is that the car is a bit too loud, and over about 4,500RPM it sounds like a loud trumpet. I enjoy the deepness, gurgling and crackling but would like to avoid the "trumpet" sound at higher speeds.
I've seen mention of people using things like a Flowmaster Resonator to quiet their cars down a bit without losing too much character. If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate your input.

View attachment 374788
Thats an additional flex section, not a resonator.

Looks very "budget ricer". You will have better results with off the shelf exhaust kit. Or you could try to doctor this straight pipe job up, but that can be a lot of fiddling around.

Can you get us pics of the entire exhaust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car came with an AP that has a custom tune by FatHouse fabrications. Don't have the actual numbers but butt dyno and comparison to a friend's ST the tune is quite good. It would be nice to find a solution that doesn't restrict the air too much so I can keep using the tune.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
your exhaust looks like its been chopped up properly. The big bendy part near the tips that is capped off is a J pipe. Those are designed to quiet a specific hertz range. Plenty of rust, some could be leaking.

If you want quiet, look for an aftermarket exhaust with a muffler and a resonator. A 2.5" setup will be quieter than a 3" exhaust and for most applications have the same performance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts