Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everybody! I recently purchased a 17' Kona Blue in March. I've been lurking for awhile and trying to take in as much info on my car as I can. I recently purchased the Depo intercooler and I decided to wait to throw it on until I get an Accessport with Stratified Tune. Now would it be wise to also go with the step colder plug with just these two mods? I probably wont go any further except maybe a cold air but I'm still 50/50 since i see a lot of people just run a green filter. I'm also in Cali, so any more modding will be a pain in the future. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That’s what I figured. I read the article by Stratified but I wasn’t sure if it was for fully bolted vehicles only.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think going one step colder plugs have made my cars run smoother. It could be just new plugs? I've installed one step colder plugs NGK and Denso on both my ST's and found both responded well. I actually plan to swap new plugs into the car every 15,000 miles. It's cheap and makes a noticable improvement.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes, go one step colder. Very simple and straight forward. Use Stratifieds recommended plug gap on that link to the blog

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can use stock plugs or step colder. Stratified recommends step colder, so that is probably what I would do. However, it is not at all a requirement.

Blog : Spark Plug Tech : Stratified Automotive Controls
Was going to post this same article. I asked them directly as well - so to clarify on the if its not needed until you are 'fully bolted' - no you do not have to be, if you drive the car and have fun with it you would be wise to bump to a step colder. Luckily you can read the plugs and tell if you are running to cold.

I run 1 step colder, ran them since I just had a drop in filter and a tune, now also have a FMIC and reading the plugs they look perfect.

Also - since you are sticking to bolt mods do yourself a favor and get a tune besides the COBB OTS maps - I have Stratified and am very happy with it, I tried the COBB OTS stage 2 map the other day just to see since I never even ran it - ummm... pathetic in comparison, car felt in limp mode vs the strat tune. :)

Check this out too:

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/ford-focus-st-modifications-guide-by-stratified-auto/

plug.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts