Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already done an overhaul of the audio system in my 2013 ST3 but I'm thinking about upgrading to the DSR1 to get rid of the annoying EQ settings from the factory amplifier. I currently have the outputs from the stock amplifier going to a box of resistors and then going to a LOC and then to my aftermarket amplifier. If I get the DSR1, I can just plug the DSR1 into the "input" factory wiring harness to replace the factory amp and then just run RCA cables to the amp right? I will no longer need to have the resistors or LOC, right?

·
Registered
629 Posts
correct. DSR1 completely replaces the factory amp. converts all the stock wiring into useable low-level RCA outputs. nothing else is needed.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. My main concern was getting rid of the resistors since the first few iterations of the Sony amp could cause tweeters to melt. If the resistors are no longer needed, I will definitely upgrade because getting rid of the majority of my amateur wiring will probably avoid future shorts.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Exactly, since the OEM amp is removed, there is no need for any resistors...

The T-harness will just plug in to the factory wiring and then run your RCAs directly to the DSR1. If you cut the factory harness to run it into the resistor box and the ran the amp out to the speakers, then you will have to repair the factory harness to get it back to OEM shape.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly, since the OEM amp is removed, there is no need for any resistors...

The T-harness will just plug in to the factory wiring and then run your RCAs directly to the DSR1. If you cut the factory harness to run it into the resistor box and the ran the amp out to the speakers, then you will have to repair the factory harness to get it back to OEM shape.

I cut the output wiring harness from the factory amp. But that shouldn't be needed anymore, right? The input wiring harness for the factory amp is still completely fine and then that gets plugged into the DSR1 and then the DSR1 goes directly to the aftermarket amp?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well I guess that's OK, the T-harness also has all the wiring that goes from the amp to the OEM amps output wires. You can just leave that the way it is.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess that's OK, the T-harness also has all the wiring that goes from the amp to the OEM amps output wires. You can just leave that the way it is.

Oh, is it just one harness? It's been a while since I've looked and my car's currently in the shop so I can't just go out and look...regardless, all I did was splice the outputs from the factory harness, wire them to resistors, then from the resistors to a LOC, then from the LOC to the aftermarket amp. I'm positive I didn't touch any of the input wiring--I would've had no reason to.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Well there is a couple of connectors but the T-harness is one part. You can leave the wiring the way you have it with the speaker wires going. G from your new amp to the OEM wiring, you just won't do anything the new speaker wires coming out of the T-harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts