Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have two questions that are bugging the crap out of me and I cant seem to find any good pictures or solid info online about how this install routing should work, or what direction the check valve should be pointing.

First, the more important question - what way should the check vale arrow be pointing? It came pre installed on the tubing but after ~500 miles the lines and can are bone dry (when I pulled the symposer off there was oil on it, so I know there was oil in the intake at some point...) so I am worried it may be installed backwards.

Currently it is on the hose that connects to the back on the intake mani and the arrow on the valve pointing TOWARDS the catch can. Is this correct??

Second question is if anyone has pictures of how they mounted this thing in the upper mounting location? I bought the upper mount kit and eventually gave up because I could not figure out how to route the hoses without kinking the, I emailed JBR and they came back with some tips so I tried again today, and failed - put it back where it was with some brass fittings and more fuel line used to extend the hoses far enough to get to the lower mounting location. This location works I just would like to mount it up top if I can :)

Pictures:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thank you! I cant seem to find anything to confirm these questions...even on sites like boomba where they sell check valves for this reason they have nothing indicating the install direction :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
the air flow thru the pcv system should be like this. engine/crankcase ->pcv valve -> catch can -> intake manifold. In 95% of driving, there is a vacuum in the intake manifold, so it will be basically sucking air in at that point.

With that in mind, if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like the check valve is backwards. You want flow from can to intake mani but NOT from intake mani to catch can. If it's oriented like that, air won't be circulating in cruise/idle conditions and under WOT it's probably pressurizing the can. Only reason the crankcase isn't getting pressurized (and blowing out your dipstick) is because the factory pcv valve is preventing that backflow into the crankcase.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, that is what I was afraid of. I contacted JBR and will see what they say, the valve came pre installed from them...fuuuuuuuu....

What I can find digging echos what you stated, I think I will head out to the garage and reverse the damn thing, and get some pics while I am at it as proof for JBR.

At least the stock PCV valve saved my crankcase from getting pressurized so there shouldnt be any damage or possible damage issues, would you agree?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also stock PVC system suuuucks. If you get some monies saved up I encourage you replace it.
Yes, just need to flip the valve around, dissapointing that it was on in reverse in the first place...Hoping I have some of that pipe tape around to fix this correctly...grrrr And wouldnt this valve (when installed right lol) fix a lot of the issues regarding the stock pcv system?

Here is a pic, got it out....grrr

http://imgur.com/a/7k6Pb

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great, and now I find some diagrams suggesting that the direction is correct, these stage 2 and 3 kits show the arrow pointing towards the can....AHHHHH FUUUU

https://damondmotorsports.com/colle...oil-catch-can-kit-stage-2?variant=10527742212

Edit, that, and the below are for speed3's but they should be similar enough - however now THESE directions show it pointing towards the intake mani...
It pointing towards the intake mani makes the most sense to me, so off I go to reverse it...

https://damondmotorsports.com/blogs...-1-location-3-oil-catch-can-kit-install-guide

·
Registered
613 Posts
The arrows pointing to the cans... those are cans connected to the valve cover or intake. Different situation. Flip your check valve. I'll draw out a picture of pcv system operation on my pc in a bit

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just threw together a few quick paint diagrams for you. Bottom line, you only want airflow to ENTER the intake mani, never EXIT. The clean air line between valvecover and intake is different, you're never going to have high vaccum or big boost in either of those locations. The only time you'd put in a catch can on that side is if you're trying to limit flow to only one direction, for whatever reason (usually in the more complex solutions).

edit: teflon tape is better than nothing, but that stuff is actually made to reduce friction, not seal up threads (depends on the type of fitting i guess). But what you probably want is actually a thread sealant. Permatex makes a good sealant, it's in a small white bottle/container sold at auto stores.

cc cruise.png

cc wot.png

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you!

That basically answered my question as this system is going between the PCV and intake mani, so the valve was indeed reversed from JBR :( I flipped is around to that the arrow is now pointing towards the intake mani, not the can.

As for the tape, I just noticed that they used it and figured it would be ruined once I undid the connection so wanted to put it back the way it was, thanks for the tip on the sealant though :)

I will feedback what JBR says when they get back to me.

·
Registered
768 Posts
And what's so horrible about the stock PCV valve? you guys that commented how bad they are, you had one fail? Fail how? What did it do wrong and what were the fallouts?

·
Registered
613 Posts
And what's so horrible about the stock PCV valve? you guys that commented how bad they are, you had one fail? Fail how? What did it do wrong and what were the fallouts?
who said they are bad? If it gets stuck closed, you will run into same situation as OP did originally. No suction on the crankcase, no fresh air being circulated thru the engine. If you pulled the oil fill cap with the engine running, you'd probably notice some oil vapor/'smoke' coming out. It it gets stuck open/leaks badly then you''ll be compressing the crankcase in boost. If it's bad enough you'll blow dipstick out and/or oil seals. If it's not as serious it could probably contribute to lots of oil and crap coming out the valvecover <--> intake vent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I installed my JBR OilCatchCan a little over a week ago without issue and the hoses came with the OEM end-piece fittings so that the direction, attachment (and line placement) for the hoses (and check-valve (CV)) couldn't be installed wrong. I wonder if your lengthening the hoses perhaps created an issue with the check-valve... I did the under the airbox install from the get go and before ordering I confirmed with James about the CV and when it arrived it was installed correctly, it all went in without a hitch.

Hope you have all your issues squared away now
! The OCC is a smart move.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts