Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
How is this possible? You are saying that your charge temps were say, 30 degrees and ambient temp was 35-37? It's not possible to have charge temps below ambient, IC is just a heat exchanger
Because the movement of air, think wind chill against your skin, the air temp is ambient but the wind speed makes it colder. I'll post up some datalogs showing the difference when I get home if I remember.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nope. Inanimate objects do not suffer the consequences of wind chill nor heat index. That's only for us and the animals. If it's 30° outside with s wind chill of -10°, your car thinks it's 30°.

What is likely plausible is a Venturi effect inside the IC. Gobs of air from the charge pipes has to accelerate to enter the smaller tubes that run the span of the cooler. As the air accelerates in this part, remember velocity increases (to go through the smaller restricted area) pressure decreases. Temperature is proportional to pressure; pressure decreases, temperature decreases. That would account for colder than ambient temps on the other side. Anyways, just s guess, but much more plausible than wind chill.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
^^^THIS is what I need! LOL
Biggest perk of working here(besides the obvious cash for parts) and getting parts wholesale priced from ford.

Reactions: DailyDriver

·
Premium Member
13,959 Posts
It doesn't even look like yours is on jack stands. Does it have to be off the ground to pull out the AGS?
Nope. I did everything without jack stands. It is easier to put the bumper cover back on with the front slightly in the air.

Sent from another garage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I forgot to reply yesterday and say that I actually tried this on the way home and my 3.5" was reading a degree below ambient but the last 3 miles after that was a lot of uphills and stuff and it ended up going up to ambient or half a degree above it for the remainder so I didn't get a pic. Glad you were able to! lol

Edit: is that "Ambient Air Temp" different than the Intake Temp? Or is that still reading the same as the dash? It might be the wrong setting you selected

·
Registered
201 Posts
Technology Electronic device Vehicle Electronics Car Technology Electronic device Vehicle
The first picture was taken immediately after starting my car this morning, sitting in an underground parking for 12 hours.

The second was after a very spirited drive to work trying to heat soak the intercooler as best I could. Driving it under boost so long that my learned octane rating dropped .2 (thanks for that by the away, been working on that for a week)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im sure ambient and intake air temp are different, apologies for multiple posts with pics, my phone was copping attitude over posting pictures.
I'll swap over to intake air temp on my way home and see what I see.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
View attachment 203705 View attachment 203713
The first picture was taken immediately after starting my car this morning, sitting in an underground parking for 12 hours.

The second was after a very spirited drive to work trying to heat soak the intercooler as best I could. Driving it under boost so long that my learned octane rating dropped .2 (thanks for that by the away, been working on that for a week)
It looks like it got to -.71 then went back to -.70 so I think whatever station you are using isn't letting it climb and max off. I'd try another station. I can easily get my car to -1.0 in my 30 mile trip home from work if I fill up with good gas. Just do WOT pulls in 4th and it climbs quick

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Im sure ambient and intake air temp are different, apologies for multiple posts with pics, my phone was copping attitude over posting pictures.
I'll swap over to intake air temp on my way home and see what I see.
You can post all the pics you want, but it's still not going to make be believe your IC is so awesome it defies the laws of physics.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can believe whatever you choose, I do not have all the answers and admit the possibility of being wrong, I am just sharing the data that I have. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Just now with a 3rd and 4th gear pull, around mid 50's outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
A guy told me that after a few years ill see why the depo is bad. and im wondering what does he mean? i have the depo 3.5

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
raced a buddy on the way to work saw my charge temps hit 132* lmfao, needs to be Thursday so I can have my new cooler already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 69 Posts