Ford Focus ST Forum banner

821 - 836 of 836 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still have logging in issues so I will answer everything here whilst it is working.

It all depends on the current HP of your car, if it is below 4-5/500, direct port is unnecessary. Just run a pair of jets at the exit of the intercooler. As you mentioned, small jet is prone to clogging if non d-min water is not used. Also if your system is a non aquamist system. We have no less than three inline filters between the tank and the direct port jet.

You can visit the aquamist-direct.com site to check the latest price of the DP bundle.
This post had me second guessing going straight to the HFS4v3.1...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm FBO with BT sitting at 347hp and 397 tq with only 92 pump gas and the nearest ethanol pump is 3 hours away. I don't have any cooling issues living in a somewhat cooler area. How much power can I expect from an Aquamist WMI kit?

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
I have a question for you guys, how popular is the big turbo conversion of this platform. Basically try to gauge the fuelling above and beyond 400hp where the stock injectors are maxed out and alternative fuelling method is needed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Based upon the number of competitors selling them, I'd say they are popular. And we are octane limited, not just fuel delivery. Mixing E85 is a solution (for those who have availability of it at the pump) for the octane issue, but that exasperates the fuel supply need.

Basically, if you are going past 335-350 HP, depending on the quality of your pump fuel, you need to solve octane & fuel supply. And virtually all of the big turbo kits on the market, even the smaller ones, would benefit from better charge temps and more octane.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not multiport, but go for HFS4, designed for direct injection engines.
I’m not sure I understand the difference and or advantages for the HFS4 over the HFS3 from the web site. Could you explain please?

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
The HFS4 is more efficient in decoding the Di injectors signal waveform than the HFS3. The technologies of DI injectors as it has been constantly tweaked by car makers, in search of improving the emission and fuel economy. Bosch and Siemens are the two major innovators in this field.

As the Aquamist systems delivers water/meth based on flow flow instead of boost pressure. We believe this is a better way to track engine load. The HFS3 uses the same principle but is designed for reading the conventional manifold fuel injection systems, which is less complex.

The Focus engine has undergone this transformation several years ago, and continue to evolve. So for this reason HFS4 is preferred than the HFS3 because the decoding circuit is evolving with the latest di engine.

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Based upon the number of competitors selling them, I'd say they are popular. And we are octane limited, not just fuel delivery. Mixing E85 is a solution (for those who have availability of it at the pump) for the octane issue, but that exasperates the fuel supply need.

Basically, if you are going past 335-350 HP, depending on the quality of your pump fuel, you need to solve octane & fuel supply. And virtually all of the big turbo kits on the market, even the smaller ones, would benefit from better charge temps and more octane.
Thank you for the information.

I believe wmi system is a good solution to address some of the issues you mentioned. Apart from wmi, what are the alternative to fuelling power beyond 450-500hp+ ? Other than fitting a set of Di injectors from another more powerful OE engine. Has any aftermarket supplier offered a second fuel rail (manifold type)?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thank you for the information.

I believe wmi system is a good solution to address some of the issues you mentioned. Apart from wmi, what are the alternative to fuelling power beyond 450-500hp+ ? Other than fitting a set of Di injectors from another more powerful OE engine. Has any aftermarket supplier offered a second fuel rail (manifold type)?
Yes.... there are a couple. I'm not aware of the upper limit because it is generally recognized that once you are >400-450HP you need to get an engine built. The way I see it there are a few power levels that make sense for this platform.

* Up to 300 HP on the stock turbo with all the "bolt-on" mods you can throw at the car. You don't need WMI for this level, especially if you have E85 available at the pump.

* 300-350 HP : Available with a turbo upgrade and still on stock fuel. Good pump fuel allows you to push the upper-end without fuel modifications. WMI makes sense for these power levels because fuel quality alone will limit you and charge cooling will help too.

*350-400 HP : You really start needing WMI or at least an additional throttle body fuel injector added and/or E85. You are reaching the limits of the stock clutch and the OEM engine at the upper limits. A lot of people target this range because it is still cost effective and WMI is really a worthwhile tool in this range. I think your market is largest for those in this power range.

* > 400-500 HP : If you are targeting power levels in this range you better bring the checkbook. At this point you need to build an engine, replace the clutch, 4-port fueling, etc..etc... There are those running these levels on the stock engine but there is plenty of history of them blowing. A good tuner, WMI, luck and 4-port fueling are all needed.

It is a front wheel drive platform and a budget performance car. Most people with money to burn are going to choose another vehicle besides this to go for really high power levels. But there are plenty of people who want to bolt on a bigger turbo and get an extra 100 HP from the stock engine.

Note... all of those numbers are wheel horsepower.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Big changes, hopefully we sort it all out.

I recently came across what seems to be a good deal on an aqua mist S2 with the MF2 mappable injector. Says it's new in box race version apparently. Would this work on my ST without too much trouble? would it be easy to install? I plan on tapping into my washer fluid tank. And since it's mappable injector do I have to have it tuned. I didn't plan on tuning for math. Just running it for the cleaning, cooling and anti-knock benefits?

821 - 836 of 836 Posts