Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which method did you use to get the housing apart? Putting it in a vice by the spring, and pulling up is an abject joke! I saw the 1/4" drive extension method, tried it but still no luck. How hard can I smack the plastic, as it seems like it's going to break. I'll be up sh**s creek if this thing snaps as nobody stocks a replacement.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I did 1/4 drive socket. Put the top part in the vice with a rag wrapped around it to keep the bottom from flying across the garage when it came apart. Worked great for me.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did 1/4 drive socket. Put the top part in the vice with a rag wrapped around it to keep the bottom from flying across the garage when it came apart. Worked great for me.
Thanks, just got it done. I don't have a vice in my garage, so I used an adjustable wrench. Took it out to the back deck, and C clamped the wrench to the rail on the deck. 1/4" socket extension bar, a couple of not too heavy whacks and voila! Now I've got to go for a spin, and see how it feels.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Thanks, just got it done. I don't have a vice in my garage, so I used an adjustable wrench. Took it out to the back deck, and C clamped the wrench to the rail on the deck. 1/4" socket extension bar, a couple of not too heavy whacks and voila! Now I've got to go for a spin, and see how it feels.
hows it feel already?! :smile:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used a punch with a diameter slightly smaller than the hole on the base. Lightly tapped until the top piece came out. The clutch feels so much better. Easier to find the pick up point where it engages. Also, this spring was better than my modded spring (cut coils off stock spring) as there isn't as much play in the pedal. Or, at least it's not as noticeable as before.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Which method did you use to get the housing apart? Putting it in a vice by the spring, and pulling up is an abject joke! I saw the 1/4" drive extension method, tried it but still no luck. How hard can I smack the plastic, as it seems like it's going to break. I'll be up sh**s creek if this thing snaps as nobody stocks a replacement.
I don't have a vice so I stuck it in a dresser drawer and pulled. It was a *****, but it worked fine.

IMO, This is one of the best mods you can do for the car. It feels pretty much like removing the spring completely but the clutch returns to the correct position rather than sagging.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I don't have a vice so I stuck it in a dresser drawer and pulled. It was a *****, but it worked fine.

IMO, This is one of the best mods you can do for the car. It feels pretty much like removing the spring completely but the clutch returns to the correct position rather than sagging.
We love your opinion :)

TJ

·
Registered
445 Posts
I actually used a hemostat to pinch it closed and push it through into a deep well socket.

IMO... Ford just needs to put this [Steeda] spring in at the factory rather than making it an aftermarket mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hows it feel already?! :smile:
Took it out for a rip today. Seems like my launches are much smoother, and overall the pedal is a little easier to engage. Also did the Torque Solutions shifter base bushings & ST Brake flasher. So I got a few things done this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually used a hemostat to pinch it closed and push it through into a deep well socket.

IMO... Ford just needs to put this [Steeda] spring in at the factory rather than making it an aftermarket mod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I initially tried to do the same with some long needle nose pliers. Too bad I didn't have a hemostat lying around, would have saved me all the hammering!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts