Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm kinda new to these forums so if this is in the wrong place I apologize ahead of time and feel free to whoever to move it or remove it if necessary.

I just starting getting into cars and im trying to figure out whether or not it is ok to replace the Halogen Bulb in my 2017 Focus ST (st1) with LED Bulbs instead.

I was told to worry about reflector vs projector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hello, I'm kinda new to these forums so if this is in the wrong place I apologize ahead of time and feel free to whoever to move it or remove it if necessary.

I just starting getting into cars and im trying to figure out whether or not it is ok to replace the Halogen Bulb in my 2017 Focus ST (st1) with LED Bulbs instead.

Technically you will have greater light output, that is for certain.

The issue is that LED bulbs shoot light out totally different and are made to project forward, where as Halogen bulbs are reflected all around the bulb then the reflection is "aimed" forward to light up the road. Throw an LED bulb into the housing and it just shoots all over the place...so it blinds oncoming cars and isn't focused like it should be. Therefore, you run the risk of causing problems for everyone else and also the possibility that you actually see WORSE because the light isn't aimed in front of you properly. People still do it and survive just fine, but if you aren't running a projector housing it's just a bad idea.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Can it be done? Yes. Will it fit? Yes. Should you do it? That just depends on who you ask. I personally run LED because I don't like spending 600 on a set of cheap aftermarket lights, but I also don't care for the yellow halogens. The spread of light isn't as bad with LED as some other car headlights, but it's still spread quite a bit. It depends on the LED bulb you end up going with which will determine if it blinds oncoming traffic or is just a bit bright. You can google or use the search function as this topic has been discussed a ton in the past. Some people will agree with me, others won't. Read through some of the other threads and make a decision based on what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I appreciate it. I'll probably wait on it anyway until I can swap out the headlight housing later on.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I highly, highly recommend that you do not make any modifications to your headlights without doing it right. If you really want some amazing headlights it definitely costs a pretty penny. I'd start by reaching out to a real headlight modification shop like Lightwerkz or ONEighty NYC. Get a quote and see if it works for you. If it doesn't at least it will give you some ideas for modifications that you can do on your own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These guys are right...Dont do anything rash with them unless you know what your getting into. Im like you and didnt want halogens but I also felt the retro fitting option to put projectors in was a lot of work and risky. I just bought a whole new housing that is a direct fit replacement and has led drl and projector housing for any bulb. Much simpler and looks great. Automotive lighting Automotive design Headlamp Font Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
These guys are right...Dont do anything rash with them unless you know what your getting into. Im like you and didnt want halogens but I also felt the retro fitting option to put projectors in was a lot of work and risky. I just bought a whole new housing that is a direct fit replacement and has led drl and projector housing for any bulb. Much simpler and looks great. View attachment 299345
If you're insistent on changing them, something like this is the best option ^ notice the projector housing. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
These guys are right...Dont do anything rash with them unless you know what your getting into. Im like you and didnt want halogens but I also felt the retro fitting option to put projectors in was a lot of work and risky. I just bought a whole new housing that is a direct fit replacement and has led drl and projector housing for any bulb. Much simpler and looks great. View attachment 299345
Hi, would you share any feedback on how they compare to stock reflector? I tried quality led, hid, nothing works. Beam pattern is just awful. I’m back on Piaa extreme white 55w halogen. I think it looks best. I saw the headlight you bought online, and I’m hesitant to buy. There are reviewers complaining about condensation inside, seal problems, beam pattern. I would appreciate some good feedback
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
never heard of those issues..Good experiences dont post bevause they habe no need to so im not surprised someone didnt install it correctly probably

·
Registered
106 Posts
never heard of those issues..Good experiences dont post bevause they habe no need to so im not surprised someone didnt install it correctly probably
Did you see an improvement over the stock? I like how they look on the car. I’m just curious if they are better or worse than stock halogen, as far as beam pattern. And brightness.
Also how are the brights compared to stock? I drive early in am with headlights on. Functionality is a big factor for me. This seems a decent alternative to retrofit. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts