Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Yes, but you need a Cobb AccessPort or similar tool to read the percentage of oil life left.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Is it based off of an actual test type measurement or is it purely based on time/distance?

Would be interested to know as time/distance would be useless to us BT guys as the running temps are much higher.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is it based off of an actual test type measurement or is it purely based on time/distance?

Would be interested to know as time/distance would be useless to us BT guys as the running temps are much higher.
most likely its based on time\distance you do, im guessing though.... thats how it was done with my 2011 cooper S.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes, it is based off time/distance. I changed my oil and opened up oil life and it did not change. I did the oil reset and it said oil life was 100%

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
just ignore it. it is a useless calculated number/answer. it is usually wrong. it is at about 30-40% everytime i change my oil at 5k miles. no way in hell i will ever go over 5k mile oil change. I use amsoil Z-rod 10w-30 if you are curious.

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
Yes, it is based off time/distance. I changed my oil and opened up oil life and it did not change. I did the oil reset and it said oil life was 100%
the calculation uses, engine rpm, run time, calculates percentage differently at idle time vs different rpm. very rough % number in the end. obviously different oils have different wear times as well. so NEVER EVER look at this item on the dash board.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Run Vehicle Health Report, at least on my '15. Gives me a % of oil life remaining. I'm not sure if it's at all accurate, so I use 5k as the oil change interval.

·
Registered
768 Posts
no way in hell i will ever go over 5k mile oil change

Why?

I use amsoil Z-rod 10w-30 if you are curious.
And dear god, why? An oil with high zinc like that is not ideal for modern engines. It's designed for flat tapper cams and such. High zinc will wreak havoc on your converter (if you have one). Very curious to hear who or why you got turned on to this oil for this engine.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/114337-regular-maintenance.html

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
why, because, I consider it cheap ass insurance. no reason not to do it at 5k mile. I have 96,000 miles on the car. I have around 1000 laps around sandia motor speedway. still dosnt make noise, doesnt burn oil, doesnt have any issues, been stage 3 for 92k miles. the additive package helps cushion all bearing surfaces. I beat the hell out of my car, never had a catch can for 94,000 miles and i have very minimal valve coking. I personally don't care what maintenance intervals the dealers give out. They are in the business to sell more cars. they build in failure modes. they want your car to only last long enough, not for 20 years.

all 12 oil tests I have done have came back perfectly. the zinc is a great option for all boosted engines. i am confused why all you people freak out about the Cat getting clogged. I have not seen even 1 person who can prove their cat is clogged with zinc. Even if it gets clogged at 200,000 miles, who cares. the benefits of the additive package out weigh buying a cat every 200K miles.

Why?

And dear god, why? An oil with high zinc like that is not ideal for modern engines. It's designed for flat tapper cams and such. High zinc will wreak havoc on your converter (if you have one). Very curious to hear who or why you got turned on to this oil for this engine.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/114337-regular-maintenance.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts