Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear ST Forum,

I'm planning on buying an ST and contacted my local dealer from whom I bought another Ford Focus five years ago. We found a car that more or less fits my needs, but I would prefer to wait till August to buy the car because of upcoming travel, payments etc. The dealer tells me that the inventory on the ST's is always a bit tight, and it might dry up further in August. In other words, he may have to scramble a lot more then, than now, to find the car I want. Also, rebates that are available now may not be available in August.

However, I've also heard that in August dealers are desperately trying to get rid of cars before the new year's stock starts rolling in (the 2018s). There are also good rebates, sales, and offers before and around Labor Day.

Does anyone have a sense of the inventory of 2017 ST's (Northern California) and if there will be enough in August? Does anyone know about rebates - if they will be still available in August?

The dilemma I'm facing is whether to pull the trigger now, or wait till August and see what I can get then.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Dear ST Forum,

I'm planning on buying an ST and contacted my local dealer from whom I bought another Ford Focus five years ago. We found a car that more or less fits my needs, but I would prefer to wait till August to buy the car because of upcoming travel, payments etc. The dealer tells me that the inventory on the ST's is always a bit tight, and it might dry up further in August. In other words, he may have to scramble a lot more then, than now, to find the car I want. Also, rebates that are available now may not be available in August.

However, I've also heard that in August dealers are desperately trying to get rid of cars before the new year's stock starts rolling in (the 2018s). There are also good rebates, sales, and offers before and around Labor Day.

Does anyone have a sense of the inventory of 2017 ST's (Northern California) and if there will be enough in August? Does anyone know about rebates - if they will be still available in August?

The dilemma I'm facing is whether to pull the trigger now, or wait till August and see what I can get then.

Thanks!
Welcome

By pushing the "they might not be available in august" on you he is doing 2 things:

1- Trying to push you into buying one now so you don't change your mind
2- Technically telling you the truth

There will most likely be STs available, but not necessarily at THAT dealership. That is never guaranteed. And yes the rebates and sales are always really good around August because of the next year models moving in, so people got CRAZY deals on 2016s last year around that time. So that's a good idea and I'd recommend doing that. The rebates available right now we have NO WAY of telling if they will still be available in August, they probably won't be. However, there will be more. And they will most likely be better to sell them quicker.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome

By pushing the "they might not be available in august" on you he is doing 2 things:

1- Trying to push you into buying one now so you don't change your mind
2- Technically telling you the truth

There will most likely be STs available, but not necessarily at THAT dealership. That is never guaranteed. And yes the rebates and sales are always really good around August because of the next year models moving in, so people got CRAZY deals on 2016s last year around that time. So that's a good idea and I'd recommend doing that. The rebates available right now we have NO WAY of telling if they will still be available in August, they probably won't be. However, there will be more. And they will most likely be better to sell them quicker.
Agreed.

I made the "mistake" of waiting until November to buy my ST... the rebates were much better than waiting for the 17's to hit the ground. Unfortunately for me, because I wanted the ST3, I wasn't able to get Kona Blue.

My buddy works at the local dealership, and told me that the only ST3 he could find in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and NorCal was black.

Moral of this story is this:

Will there be ST's available in August? Most likely.

Will you be able to get the option package in the color you want? Maybe.

If you're absolutely set on the package and color, and can swing it now, do it.

If you're not dead set on one thing, and are willing to take what you can get, hold off and get the car in a few months, but whatever you do... Don't EVER let a sales guy push you into a deal your not financially comfortable with.

There are few things worse than getting up every morning and looking at the nice car you're driving knowing you have to work like a dog to pay the bills because you got jammed with a bad deal.

I'll climb off my soap box now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Buy one slightly used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.. My $.02

I see plenty of them for sale here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

I was going to buy new, and was like 100% set on doing it. Then, suddenly on cars.com I got on and saw one posted "7 hours ago" at a dealer 2 hours from me that was used that was an ST3 with 15,380 miles. Perfect shape with one single scratch on it, short shifter, RMM, wing risers, yellow fog lights, cobb intake (gold heat wrapped), the whole 9 yards. Got it for the equivalent of max rebates + a few thousand shaved off the top for a near brand new car (I will say though, it IS a 2014..so I lost the backup camera and the slightly more aggressive front end..but I was okay with it to get Performance Blue for that cheap). Buying used saves you more money than buying new with rebates, if you want to spend a few thousand just to prove the point of "this was MY car and ONLY my car" then go ahead man, if not then used is just as nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're flexible then I'd wait. I got mine in September with the employee pricing deal here in Canada. I always take deals with a pinch of salt but it was many 1000s off without trying to haggle. Mind you when I tried they would not budge. I even left to think about it... they where not trying the hard sell. They had two in stock and I needed a car quick (old car totalled in a flood).

The dealership was nice. They knew someone would buy it so I had that to contend with. If I wanted the employee pricing I could have blue or black fully loaded. That was my choice. That's what they had.

I ended up calling back and told them to hold the blue for me and signed the following morning.

Aug/sept is a great time to buy. You have to be flexible though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two months is no big deal, if the price is right and you can get the options/color you want what's the point of waiting?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Two months is no big deal, if the price is right and you can get the options/color you want what's the point of waiting?
Saving money.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They're trying to sell you a car now, but I don't think they're trying to deceive you, either. For instance, I live in central Kentucky with three or four Ford dealers within 35 miles of me and not one of them had the ST that I wanted. They did a dealer trade with a dealer in Beckley, West Virginia and had to go get it for me. If they have what you want I say get it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Reread the initial post.

He said he had some extra expenses between now and August that makes the timing questionable for him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts

That's exactly what I did. I bought my 2014 ST3 two years ago from our dealership. One of our techs bought it new when he lived in Maryland. I paid $19,000 for a car that sold for around $30,000 new.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Last Labor day weekend I went to a dealer with a print out of a used 2015 ST3 that I was going to look at right after talking at the dealership. I was offered a 2016 ST2 for $500 "under invoice". Ultimately I went with the higher trim but used car for less money. But what I am getting at is go to the dealer with options and make them fight for your business.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The answer from every dealer in the history of cardom to the question "Should I wait till..." is always "No".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts