Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've gotten the torque solutions shift arm, shifter bracket bushings,and just put in the cable end bushings (both) and shifts are definitely much better. Question is why do I still have some play in the shifter most noticably in neutral? I mean I can move it front and back like almost sn inch and it seems the play is coming from where the shift arm connects to. Is this normal or is that worn out ? I can move the shift arm itself quite a bit under the hood too and I'm sure this is why I'm having trouble with 3rd gear at times. Could it be the cable itself? Thanks for your input and I could try and put a video up or something unless y'all know what I mean already.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
So I've gotten the torque solutions shift arm, shifter bracket bushings,and just put in the cable end bushings (both) and shifts are definitely much better. Question is why do I still have some play in the shifter most noticably in neutral? I mean I can move it front and back like almost sn inch and it seems the play is coming from where the shift arm connects to. Is this normal or is that worn out ? I can move the shift arm itself quite a bit under the dash too and I'm sure this is why I'm having trouble with 3rd gear at times. Could it be the cable itself? Thanks for your input and I could try and put a video up or something unless y'all know what I mean already.
Check your cables. I had the same problem after I put my cable end bushings in.Somehow the cable must not have been locked into the bracket all the way and it popped out. I would occasionally grind third didn't know why. And I didn't have the shift arm installed yet how surprised I could even get it into third or fifth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Made sure the cables were locked back into the bracket so it wasn't that lol. I'm meticulous with when I do things and make sure it's back to exactly how it was but it's done this before i started the mods. I actually modded to try and fix this exact issue and have taken it into Ford with them saying it's fine (classic response)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Made sure the cables were locked back into the bracket so it wasn't that lol. I'm meticulous with when I do things and make sure it's back to exactly how it was but it's done this before i started the mods. I actually modded to try and fix this exact issue and have taken it into Ford with them saying it's fine (classic response)

Sounds like you may have to pull shifter apart see what's going on in there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made sure the cables were locked back into the bracket so it wasn't that lol. I'm meticulous with when I do things and make sure it's back to exactly how it was but it's done this before i started the mods. I actually modded to try and fix this exact issue and have taken it into Ford with them saying it's fine (classic response)https://www.focusst.org/forum/
images/blk-smilies/crazy.png

Sounds like you may have to pull shifter apart see what's going on in there.
as in pull the center console out?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Something is definitely amiss. You should not need to pull the center console, but will need to open it up enough to get to the shifter like hen you did the bushings. If it’s not in the shifter, pull the air box and check the other end of the cables.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Something is definitely amiss. You should not need to pull the center console, but will need to open it up enough to get to the shifter like hen you did the bushings. If it’s not in the shifter, pull the air box and check the other end of the cables.
it's not the cables they are all fine it's at the shift arm connection whatever that thing is that the shift arm slides on to and is bolted down to the thing that has the slide pin in it that you knock out. That thing is where the play is coming from.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it's not the cables they are all fine it's at the shift arm connection whatever that thing is that the shift arm slides on to and is bolted down to the thing that has the slide pin in it that you know out. That thing is where the play is comt from.
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean by that description. Are you referring to the shift arm that mounts to the transmission? If so, there should be no play between the shifter arm and the shaft that it mounts to.

I doubt there is something wrong with your cables themselves. But checking the ends while moving the shifter about a bit should help you to see where the play is coming from.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
These types of situations are challenging to diagnose without seeing it. If you're able to shoot a video so we could see the play you're experiencing along with the shift arm play, we may see something that stands out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These types of situations are challenging to diagnose without seeing it. If you're able to shoot a video so we could see the play you're experiencing along with the shift arm play, we may see something that stands out.
I'll do that yeah

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The end cables do provide some deflection. That will always cause slop in the shifter. I'm about to replace mine with a set I picked up for $16. That looks like the only thing causing that.

There's one video on the deflection. There are better ones with actually shifting, but it gives you the basic idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The end cables do provide some deflection. That will always cause slop in the shifter. I'm about to replace mine with a set I picked up for $16. That looks like the only thing causing that.

There's one video on the deflection. There are better ones with actually shifting, but it gives you the basic idea of what's going on.
I just did those exact bushings this is after that

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was actually wiggling the torque solutions shift arm under the hood that's where the play is I believe or my cable is f'd up idk lol.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah those ones off eBay paid 16 for mine too

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yeah those ones off eBay paid 16 for mine too

Is the hole in the transmission housing where the shaft with the shift arm connected to it comes through worn out.Is it rotating in the housing like the play is inside the transmission.or is the shift arm itself moving on the shaft and you need to tighten the bolt down a little tighter to squeeze it. Those are the only three scenarios that I can see it being

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not sure how tight that things gotta be on there but it's pretty tight. It's play from the shaft both up and down a bit and it moves alot when you mess with the arm which gives me that play at the shifter. If that's worn how does that work about replacing it warranty? And what is it ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure how tight that things gotta be on there but it's pretty tight. It's play from the shaft both up and down a bit and it moves alot when you mess with the arm which gives me that play at the shifter. If that's worn how does that work about replacing it warranty? And what is it ?
Hey bro, I am having the same issues as you and have done similar if not the same steps you have done to fix it. I have replaced every mod that you have replaced on your car including the shifter inside the car. I haven’t found a fix yet, but I believe the issue is inside the transmission. I think it has something to do with the shift arm and shift forks inside the transmission. I don’t know this for certain, but I’m about 75% sure this is the cause of our frustration. Hope this helps. Please let me know if this works for you or if you find something that does. The struggle is real my dude.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is completely normal apparently, don’t think there’s any way of getting rid of it unfortunately. I haven’t done the cable bushings yet, was going they would get rid of that last bit of wiggle, but looks like no.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts