Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newbie here. I took my ST for new tires. Rec'd damaged rims. Installer is telling me its curb rash and peeling. Not their fault. 100% not true. I think any peeling in clear coat is from crappy service while breaking down tire. No peeling anyway except coming directly from outside rim edge. Only issue was one rock chip. I washed the car before taking it in and I know what was or was not thereTalked to manager via phone and pictures, won't make appt to view damage in person . What do you think from attached pictures? Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
You can tell it’s not curb rash because the alloy isn’t gouged up underneath. When you hit a curb it will put deep gouges into the metal.

There is still a chance that the paint just chipped off over time, that’s harder to determine.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
17 years in the tire and wheel industry here, I'd say it's just the paint starting to chip off. Usually when using the tire bar they would leave indentations in something like that. Sometimes the rubber just touching the lip of the wheel from the dismounting/mounting process would peel paint off. With that being said I don't know which exact machine they were using. But like junits15 said, curb rash will leave gouges in the wheel, kinda like striations. So I really don't think it's curb rash, I've seen plenty of that.

EDIT: When using the tire bar it will only touch the wheel twice when removing the tire if they are doing it properly. The head of the tire machine is also plastic, that wouldn't cause it either. It really just seems like the paint/clear coat has been compromised. If it is that, there is nothing they would have been able to do to prevent it. But this is all speculation so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts