Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need to schedule an oil change, and while they're at it I'm going to ask them to update my Sync 3.

Do I need to uninstall my AP? I don't know anyone at my dealer, so my thought is yes...?

Will running the stock tune with all my mods mess with anything?

·
Registered
660 Posts
So, I need to schedule an oil change, and while they're at it I'm going to ask them to update my Sync 3.

Do I need to uninstall my AP? I don't know anyone at my dealer, so my thought is yes...?

Will running the stock tune with all my mods mess with anything?
I think you are probably being paranoid. They shouldn't look at anything for an oil change. Just remove your AP and the wire so they don't see it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Although it shouldn't matter in this instance, to be safe it's always best to uninstall the AP in my opinion before taking it to a dealer. As for the mods with a stock tune, it won't hurt anything, you just won't see any gains from those during the time it's on the stock tune. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
would if they flash something when they do the Sync update and nuke your tune... best to uninstall just to be safe.
Am I wrong or is the sync update performed on the radio itself and has nothing to do with the ECM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Am I wrong or is the sync update performed on the radio itself and has nothing to do with the ECM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
100% completely different ends of the spectrum but again safe and not sorry ... installing a tune isn't that painful but loosing a tune if the dealer flashes your ECU would be painful and cost you money to have COBB reload a tune.

technically speaking an oil change and a SYNC update shouldn't ever mess with a tune, but I would worry if a tech got curious and plugged into the ECU

·
Registered
371 Posts
I used to just unplug my AP then re-flash my tune after they would get done. They even did the hatch fix with no issues. But I do not see an issue with going to stock tune, then just reinstalling tune after service.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thanks for the responses, it's as easy as just uninstalling my tune, correct?
Yeah, connect the Accessport and uninstall, then after the service is done do a re-install.

Reactions: Ginger_snaps4

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Always wondered, is there any downside to be uninstalling and reinstalling all the time?

Be interesting to know if anyone computer oriented in the know can answer this. Are we not re writing an entire file structure every time we flash and unflash? Depending on the type of storage used & whether there is extra space for corrupt data blocks, isn't eventually running into a situation where that storage device fails from too many re-writes inevitable? Just saying because I doubt a person can simply "pop a new hard drive" into their car's ECU, but I am partially hoping I am wrong about that. Maybe I am the first to worry about this, just seems the car (presumably ECU) makes alot of noises during the flashing process. Thoughts, anyone?

But I am sure many of you have ran hundreds of flashes without an issue right?

·
Vendor
104 Posts
Car ECU is Flash Based, much like a thumb drive. Essentially Only changing the tables the car reads, not the entire thing. Can it fail? Of course. Will it, more than likely not.

Catted DP on stock tune is hit or miss, if the O2 is spaced, probably not. Most AM catted downpipes are just meant to keep the smell of raw fuel away, not to prevent CEL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts