Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Jay and I just registered to this forum. I have had a bit of a horror story with a Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT (2017), and since a Ford Focus ST is something I'm interested in I'm really considering trading in my Honda. My question will be at the end, but this info might help some of you, I hope so anyway.

Here is a short synopsis of my situation, and I don't want this to be a "bash Honda" thread, but here goes. I drove the Civic for 9,000 miles and it was a great car. Shifted well with the paddle shifters, great power, great fuel economy. Then I got a letter for a recall, a simple coolant joint on top of the motor.

I took the car in and it took about an hour. Within days the car's gas mileage dropped, power went down, shifting patterns changed, throttle response way down, the list goes on. Since then I've found out the readiness codes aren't set, there is a check engine light that flashes 5 times on start up that proves that - and they won't set (it's been 2000 miles). I've had it to the dealer (or tried to get them to look at it) about 12 times. I had to do all research to find out what's wrong with it, I"ve been working hard on it.

I'm now talking to Honda of America and EVEN THEY are giving me the runaround and won't let me see the service rep for the area, saying he's already been around for the month etc.

I think I will eventually get to see them (maybe) but it's been since November 8th, that's about 2 1/2 months that I've had this issue. My question is who here has dealt with Ford nationally? (I know dealers can vary). Were they good to work with? Do they honor warranties? Will they actually help with issues? lol. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks so much!

Jay

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I've had my ST since new in 13, I have been back to the dealer for maybe 2 visits.
Both times have been fine, standard recall work, they did for a while have a recall that a few cars in this group had a big problem with and they were on a marthon issue of getting anything worked on.

The ST is a great platform and if you respect it you shouldn't have issues.
They closely model the Mazdaspeed 3 platform and have a couple of the same issues.

All in all though I've had my ST since 13 and as for quality or performance concerns I've not had any.
I would suggest this car to anyone who wants a daily driver they can have some fun with.

I hope things work out well with your Civic though or at least they take care of you on it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Back home, there are 3 Ford dealerships. They are all completely inconsistent with their service and attention to the customer.

One dealer I was looking to purchase from had a terrible staff.

One dealer I had my battery replaced under warranty didn't feel it was important to re-install the battery cover when they were done. This was after they tried, two times, to tell me I had to pay for a battery that was under warranty after telling me over the phone I was covered.

One dealer I had taken my ST to for warranty work (leaking axle seals) and they provided stellar customer service. Got me in a rental, kept me up to speed with the repairs and didn't **** me around about the process. They informed me I had a door lock recall as well, which they told me they already ordered the parts for. When I brought the car in for that, they again put me in a rental and provided quick and hassle free service.

It really just depends on who is running things at the dealer. These places are all within an hour distance of each other.

The Honda dealer in the area was great as well. My GF bought a Civic from them and they've given no issues when the car is being serviced.

That being said. Plenty of people have had terrible service with Ford (surf the forum some). And plenty of people have terrible service with all manufacturers. People don't often praise quality service, so the bad stands out much more.

I strongly suggest you drive an ST. The Hondas are great cars but don't have the edginess of the ST.. if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my ST since new in 13, I have been back to the dealer for maybe 2 visits.
Both times have been fine, standard recall work, they did for a while have a recall that a few cars in this group had a big problem with and they were on a marthon issue of getting anything worked on.

The ST is a great platform and if you respect it you shouldn't have issues.
They closely model the Mazdaspeed 3 platform and have a couple of the same issues.

All in all though I've had my ST since 13 and as for quality or performance concerns I've not had any.
I would suggest this car to anyone who wants a daily driver they can have some fun with.

I hope things work out well with your Civic though or at least they take care of you on it!

Cheers!
Thank you for the information. Yeah the Civic has been a headache. Here is something really weird, you hear these stories but it actually happened to me today. Honda of America calls me yesterday to set up an appointment for my meeting the service rep in 2 days. I was to drop my car off today. I went to the dealer and decided to check to see if the light was still activating (it has been for 2 1/2 straight months). I check it...and you can guess it...it was gone... UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm now going to have to cancel my appointment and hope it doesn't come back on. This was so weird it was downright eerie. It has been sub zero for the last few days so maybe that had something to do with the codes resetting. It's either good news or bad, not sure yet. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back home, there are 3 Ford dealerships. They are all completely inconsistent with their service and attention to the customer.

One dealer I was looking to purchase from had a terrible staff.

One dealer I had my battery replaced under warranty didn't feel it was important to re-install the battery cover when they were done. This was after they tried, two times, to tell me I had to pay for a battery that was under warranty after telling me over the phone I was covered.

One dealer I had taken my ST to for warranty work (leaking axle seals) and they provided stellar customer service. Got me in a rental, kept me up to speed with the repairs and didn't **** me around about the process. They informed me I had a door lock recall as well, which they told me they already ordered the parts for. When I brought the car in for that, they again put me in a rental and provided quick and hassle free service.

It really just depends on who is running things at the dealer. These places are all within an hour distance of each other.

The Honda dealer in the area was great as well. My GF bought a Civic from them and they've given no issues when the car is being serviced.

That being said. Plenty of people have had terrible service with Ford (surf the forum some). And plenty of people have terrible service with all manufacturers. People don't often praise quality service, so the bad stands out much more.

I strongly suggest you drive an ST. The Hondas are great cars but don't have the edginess of the ST.. if that's what you're looking for.
Great stuff, thanks. Yep from what I'm seeing it's all manufacturers, and dealers vary greatly. I do love the performance of the ST, but if you see my post above, my light inexplicably went off today in the Civic, the very day they were supposed to try and do something about it. After 2 1/2 months if finally goes off on the day of the appt. Super weird. So if it stays off (it seems to be driving better today as well), I'll probably lay in the bed I made and keep it. If I trade for a ST at this point I'm estimating I'll take at least a $7,000 bath in losses and paying off old interest and getting new interest. I'm a little jealous of you ST guys though, I know I'd love that little car!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi all, my name is Jay and I just registered to this forum. I have had a bit of a horror story with a Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT (2017), and since a Ford Focus ST is something I'm interested in I'm really considering trading in my Honda. My question will be at the end, but this info might help some of you, I hope so anyway.

Here is a short synopsis of my situation, and I don't want this to be a "bash Honda" thread, but here goes. I drove the Civic for 9,000 miles and it was a great car. Shifted well with the paddle shifters, great power, great fuel economy. Then I got a letter for a recall, a simple coolant joint on top of the motor.

I took the car in and it took about an hour. Within days the car's gas mileage dropped, power went down, shifting patterns changed, throttle response way down, the list goes on. Since then I've found out the readiness codes aren't set, there is a check engine light that flashes 5 times on start up that proves that - and they won't set (it's been 2000 miles). I've had it to the dealer (or tried to get them to look at it) about 12 times. I had to do all research to find out what's wrong with it, I"ve been working hard on it.

I'm now talking to Honda of America and EVEN THEY are giving me the runaround and won't let me see the service rep for the area, saying he's already been around for the month etc.

I think I will eventually get to see them (maybe) but it's been since November 8th, that's about 2 1/2 months that I've had this issue. My question is who here has dealt with Ford nationally? (I know dealers can vary). Were they good to work with? Do they honor warranties? Will they actually help with issues? lol. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks so much!

Jay
Welcome, and good luck in your search.
I chose Ford because of their great customer service I received in the past. Every car brand has it's problems, but I have found Ford's customer service to be Great.
I was considering a Chevy and Honda. My sister has a Honda, and has had similar problems you are experiencing. A friend's mom had a Chevy, and when needed repairs, she was SOL, even with a new warranty.
Hope that helps.
This forum even has a Ford Rep available. How's that for Cust. service?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sounds like you're a candidate for a Lemon Law claim. Look into that to see if it applies.

As for Ford's customer service, it depends on the dealer from what I've read. Some are cooperative, others see mudflaps and flag the car for void warranty. There's regional sub forums on here if you want to ask in there about your local dealers or find a local ST Facebook page if you're seriously interested. Honda's are known well for low end torque so you would love this car if you liked the civic when it ran well. The ST has been around a bit now and, at least in my eyes, has grown out of a lot of it's growing pains. The earlier models succumbed a lot to bricking for recall servicing and things like the hatch opening while driving and otherwise annoying things. From what I've seen and read, model year 2016 and newer seem to be pretty solid. 13-14 were the first years and 15 was a facelift with some electronic additions. I have a 17 with 12k and no issues as of yet. I'm sure there's someone out there who claimed a lemon law on a 16 or 17, but I'm just saying what I've noticed while reading on here. So my take is, if you go through with it and buy new, you likely won't have many or any issues like your having now.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
235 Posts
Man, it can go any way with any manufacturer/dealer, as mentioned by others. I've had great support from Chevrolet and average to above average support from Dodge. Now I love my ST, which is my first Ford, but here I am on the third month of waiting for a new steering rack for warranty replacement and I've gotten not a word on it from Ford. The dealer (I did not buy the car locally) has been decent but I am far from satisfied overall and this is for a part on a car that is still in production, so they won't even pull a part from the line, and they leave a current owner (me) hanging in the breeze with not even an estimated production date for the replacement.
In fact this reminds me to head there tomorrow to see if there is any progress and lean on them some more.
For what it's worth I used to buy cars (always new) at a dealer group in Virginia that sold all of the Big Three and the service manager told me Chevrolet was the most lenient on warranty work and parts approval of the three.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you're a candidate for a Lemon Law claim. Look into that to see if it applies.

As for Ford's customer service, it depends on the dealer from what I've read. Some are cooperative, others see mudflaps and flag the car for void warranty. There's regional sub forums on here if you want to ask in there about your local dealers or find a local ST Facebook page if you're seriously interested. Honda's are known well for low end torque so you would love this car if you liked the civic when it ran well. The ST has been around a bit now and, at least in my eyes, has grown out of a lot of it's growing pains. The earlier models succumbed a lot to bricking for recall servicing and things like the hatch opening while driving and otherwise annoying things. From what I've seen and read, model year 2016 and newer seem to be pretty solid. 13-14 were the first years and 15 was a facelift with some electronic additions. I have a 17 with 12k and no issues as of yet. I'm sure there's someone out there who claimed a lemon law on a 16 or 17, but I'm just saying what I've noticed while reading on here. So my take is, if you go through with it and buy new, you likely won't have many or any issues like your having now.
I looked at Lemon Law, and still might consider it, but the issues started after I had a coolant joint recall done. So a dealer started the problems most likely. Still might qualify for lemon law though.

Yeah, one of the big things missing from the car post "recall fix" is torque. It takes forever to get power to the ground, and sometimes the rpm needle goes backwards and engine lugs when accelerating, especially when using the paddle shifters (right in the meat of the rpm range 3000-5000 rpms).

Today on the interstate the car read 32.5 mpg (it used to get around 42-44 on the highway), and actually DROPPED to 32.1 on with normal driving (no steep inclines etc.). Unreal.

As for the ST, yeah, that torque is amazing I'm sure. I mean 270 foot pounds is insane, that's really a big seller for me on the ST.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, it can go any way with any manufacturer/dealer, as mentioned by others. I've had great support from Chevrolet and average to above average support from Dodge. Now I love my ST, which is my first Ford, but here I am on the third month of waiting for a new steering rack for warranty replacement and I've gotten not a word on it from Ford. The dealer (I did not buy the car locally) has been decent but I am far from satisfied overall and this is for a part on a car that is still in production, so they won't even pull a part from the line, and they leave a current owner (me) hanging in the breeze with not even an estimated production date for the replacement.
In fact this reminds me to head there tomorrow to see if there is any progress and lean on them some more.
For what it's worth I used to buy cars (always new) at a dealer group in Virginia that sold all of the Big Three and the service manager told me Chevrolet was the most lenient on warranty work and parts approval of the three.
I'm sorry to hear that man. It really sucks to have a new car with warranty and still not get things to work properly.

You should go to the head of the line, not the rear of the line when you've already purchased a car. But instead they keep focusing on people who haven't given them money yet.

I'm going in tomorrow to meet with the service rep even though my check engine light went off - and this is only because I called Honda America for 2 weeks to get things moving. I hope they will listen to me now that my "proof" disappeared overnight!

I really appreciate the help and input - if they won't fix it I'm not sure I will keep something I'm not satisfied with - which means a may take it straight to a ford dealership and swap for an ST. lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Remember that just because the check engine light went off it doesn't mean that there aren't "hidden" codes in there. Hopefully there are so you can negotiate a solution with the rep.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember that just because the check engine light went off it doesn't mean that there aren't "hidden" codes in there. Hopefully there are so you can negotiate a solution with the rep.
Good luck!
Thanks man. Well, today's update is the Service Rep was supposed to be there today (he only comes in once a month or so). I took my car in yesterday and they gave me a brand new 2018 accord to drive, how nice of them, and they were to call me as soon as he arrived at the dealership today. I told them any time before 3:30pm would work for me.

It's 3:10pm and they haven't called. Pushing me off again I suppose, unless they found the solution and are furiously at work on it (doubtful). Unbelievable. lol.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I've been following your thread Count and I feel really bad for you. If you decide to ditch the Civic, you'll be pretty happy with the ST. It's an insanely fun car to drive. With the ST3 package I have all of the accessories I really wanted in a car as well. Oh and something not to be overlooked...the ST comes with real gauges rather than a digital display. It has a real emergency brake as well.

I wish you all the luck with your Civic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been following your thread Count and I feel really bad for you. If you decide to ditch the Civic, you'll be pretty happy with the ST. It's an insanely fun car to drive. With the ST3 package I have all of the accessories I really wanted in a car as well. Oh and something not to be overlooked...the ST comes with real gauges rather than a digital display. It has a real emergency brake as well.

I wish you all the luck with your Civic.
Thank you my friend. This experience has not been pleasant, but I just try to be appreciative of all that is good in my life and not let it get to me.

For an update, the dealer still hasn't called me as of Saturday evening. I'll just drive this Accord (it's super nice) normally until they call me I suppose. I'm going to try and make the best of it. My grandma used to say "It's better to be the cheated than the cheater."

I agree with this, I feel much better being taken advantage of than taking advantage of someone else. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Of course Id rather that nobody was taken advantage of! Thanks for all of your support, and I'm sure I'd love the ST, with it's real emergency brake lol!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thank you my friend. This experience has not been pleasant, but I just try to be appreciative of all that is good in my life and not let it get to me.

For an update, the dealer still hasn't called me as of Saturday evening. I'll just drive this Accord (it's super nice) normally until they call me I suppose. I'm going to try and make the best of it. My grandma used to say "It's better to be the cheated than the cheater."

I agree with this, I feel much better being taken advantage of than taking advantage of someone else. I wouldn't be able to sleep. Of course Id rather that nobody was taken advantage of! Thanks for all of your support, and I'm sure I'd love the ST, with it's real emergency brake lol!
Is it the new Accord Sport? If so, let me know how it is. Numbers were very similar to the ST but the torque peaks at 1500RPM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it the new Accord Sport? If so, let me know how it is. Numbers were very similar to the ST but the torque peaks at 1500RPM
No, this is a loaded Accord, but it's the 1.5L CVT. It's smooth and has good torque down low, but it's considerably heavier than my Civic Sport with the same 1.5L engine. Still, this car shows me that something is for sure up with my car, this car feels nearly as quick and much smoother. My car pre-issue was considerably quicker than this car and had a lot more low end torque (I guess because of the weight differential and some tuning differences).

For now they still have my car and I've heard nothing - maybe, just maybe they are fixing it. Wouldn't that be nice, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts