Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[Q] Inherited Limited Slip Differential?

Hello people, a very new ST owner here.

Long story short, I bought a 2014 Focus ST from a second owner who has no clue about the mods in the car which was done by the first owner. I inspected the car and this is what I know from my very limited knowledge about the car.

It has an MBRP catback, Injen CAI, Cobb RMM and stock shifters. I also hear turbo whine on acceleration and turbo flutter on lift off.

Now, I have heard a lot about the torque steer in this car from all the reviews on youtube, but in my car, despite flooring it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, I don't see any torque steer.
Is there a way I can find out without much trouble? My guess would be that put it on a lift and rotate on of the front wheels and watch the movement of the other?

Also, my car is gonna hit 100,000 km (about 62k miles) and it will have it's last free service at Ford dealership. If there's an LSD, does it have a different maintenance procedure? As in, will the differential need a oil change or so?

Honestly, I am a little shy about asking questions in fear of sounding stupid.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Does it leave two tire marks when spinning the wheels on a hard launch (burnout)?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta lay a rubber patch to freedom!

·
Registered
220 Posts
On the back of the engine (right behind the oil pan) you will see the rear motor mount. Check the upper mounts as well (trans and engine). The trans mount is under the airbox and the upper motore mount is on the passenger side under the hood. Behind the passenger front wheel well is where you will find the BOV (stock/aftermarket). Yours is more than likely aftermarket. Check under the car too and see if you have a purple or black bar connecting to either lower control arms on the front subframe. You make have a TB traction bar installed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fluid maintenance is the same as a stock differential in most cases. Unless you had a clutch type LSD.

You can tell you have an LSD by physically opening your Trans or driving to better understand the driving characteristics. Torque steer is pretty easily identified, especially at launch.

With an LSD I would say that turn in is sharper when on the gas vs understeer or the tires screaming for grip and then scrubbing

·
Registered
414 Posts
torsten acts open if a wheel is off the ground. can’t do it on a rack. tq steer is squashed necessarily by an lsd. it could be the tune or the tires. what tires does it have?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jack up the front of the car so both front wheels are off the ground. With the gear lever in neutral, spin one of the front wheels. If both wheels spin in the same direction, you have an LSD installed. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, then no LSD.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jack up the front of the car so both front wheels are off the ground. With the gear lever in neutral, spin one of the front wheels. If both wheels spin in the same direction, you have an LSD installed. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, then no LSD.
yeah again, torsen diff acts open if both or one wheel is off the ground. it needs a torque differential to be engaged. open diff and torsen will both spin the opting tire backwards when up in the air.

go around a corner and floor it and if the inside tire lights up no lsd.

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah again, torsen diff acts open if both or one wheel is off the ground. it needs a torque differential to be engaged. open diff and torsen will both spin the opting tire backwards when up in the air.

go around a corner and floor it and if the inside tire lights up no lsd.
I have a MFactory LSD on mine and both tires spin in the same direction when in the air....

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have the mfactory lsd and mine do not

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
I have a MFactory LSD on mine and both tires spin in the same direction when in the air....
i have the mfactory lsd and mine do not
I also have an Mfactory, that I installed myself, and iirc to my surprise the tires do in fact spin opposite directions in the air. It's the torsen. It's weird, lol

Front end drifting in turns is a good indicator, lol

·
Administrator
13,359 Posts
Must be some voodoo magic on mine..... or I'm just getting old and senile LoL
Im going to get mine off the ground and double check soon enough, we both may be heading down that forgetful path, lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts