Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Boomba two piece rear mount, and boosted design shifter bushing and finally installed them Saturday. Well funny story...

Background: I was on the verge of loosing my mind. The car is a 2016 bone stock ST2 with 32,5xx miles. for the last several thousand miles, I had noticed that when letting out the clutch in first gear the car would buck no matter what I did. This is my fifth manual car and i was lost. I thought it was slipping, but haven't heard many instances of that compared to a GTI. Then, I nearly always match rev and downshift in all circumstances minus the car being cold on a winter morning. I started to notice the car was jerking front and back noticeably. My fiance eventually even commented on how obvious it was.

So, I pull the existing OEM mount out Saturday and there is a massive chunk missing... I don't have pics and won't be able to get any until this weekend. I was amazed. It was about the diameter of the bolt, which may have been allowing the mount to move an extra 1/2" or so.

After driving with the mount for a few days in the extreme cold (it's proven to be the worst winter yet in a long time in the Boston area -15 the other day at the job site) the swaying, and "slipping" is totally gone. The Boomba mount on the other hand is fantastic. You cannot keep any change in the car, and there is definitely an increase in vibrations up to 2500 rpm's. I personally don't find it annoying. I'm sure warm weather and 1k miles will substantially lower the new noise levels. As a reference, my finace notices it and says it is not bad or unbearable.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
I got the Boomba two piece rear mount, and boosted design shifter bushing and finally installed them Saturday. Well funny story...

Background: I was on the verge of loosing my mind. The car is a 2016 bone stock ST2 with 32,5xx miles. for the last several thousand miles, I had noticed that when letting out the clutch in first gear the car would buck no matter what I did. This is my fifth manual car and i was lost. I thought it was slipping, but haven't heard many instances of that compared to a GTI. Then, I nearly always match rev and downshift in all circumstances minus the car being cold on a winter morning. I started to notice the car was jerking front and back noticeably. My fiance eventually even commented on how obvious it was.

So, I pull the existing OEM mount out Saturday and there is a massive chunk missing... I don't have pics and won't be able to get any until this weekend. I was amazed. It was about the diameter of the bolt, which may have been allowing the mount to move an extra 1/2" or so.

After driving with the mount for a few days in the extreme cold (it's proven to be the worst winter yet in a long time in the Boston area -15 the other day at the job site) the swaying, and "slipping" is totally gone. The Boomba mount on the other hand is fantastic. You cannot keep any change in the car, and there is definitely an increase in vibrations up to 2500 rpm's. I personally don't find it annoying. I'm sure warm weather and 1k miles will substantially lower the new noise levels. As a reference, my finace notices it and says it is not bad or unbearable.
Not surprising, to me anyway, that the factory mount failed. Even the upgraded one that Ford is using now is weak. The vibs are going to be extra bad right now since this is a stiff mount to begin with and it is cold. Once the mount breaks in a bit and the weather warms up the vibs will decrease.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not surprising, to me anyway, that the factory mount failed. Even the upgraded one that Ford is using now is weak. The vibs are going to be extra bad right now since this is a stiff mount to begin with and it is cold. Once the mount breaks in a bit and the weather warms up the vibs will decrease.
I guess I was more surprised because I didn't realize the stock mount was that weak.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm in NE Ohio and while we're not quite as cold as Boston it's been around 0deg when I leave for work in the morning lately.
A couple of times now my shifter has felt a little strange right before engaging in gear. Like it hesitates and stops for a split second right before actually meshing. It will do it on all 6 gears. I only have 3500miles on my car and it's only done it a couple of time but both times were when it was extremely cold. But it doesn't do it every time it is extremely cold.

I'm debating whether I should buy some solid shift cable and shift mount bushings to maybe help with this. But I can't help but think the rubber bushings are there for a reason. Like the product engineers wanted everything to have a little bit of compliance. I know some of the reason might be NVH related but it could be more than that too. Hmmmmm, what to do haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm in NE Ohio and while we're not quite as cold as Boston it's been around 0deg when I leave for work in the morning lately.
A couple of times now my shifter has felt a little strange right before engaging in gear. Like it hesitates and stops for a split second right before actually meshing. It will do it on all 6 gears. I only have 3500miles on my car and it's only done it a couple of time but both times were when it was extremely cold. But it doesn't do it every time it is extremely cold.

I'm debating whether I should buy some solid shift cable and shift mount bushings to maybe help with this. But I can't help but think the rubber bushings are there for a reason. Like the product engineers wanted everything to have a little bit of compliance. I know some of the reason might be NVH related but it could be more than that too. Hmmmmm, what to do haha
In the extreme cold, sloppy shifts are normal until that transmission fluid can get up to operating temp. I know all about it, this morning it was -6*F here in central PA. Coldest day of the last 2 months easily. My car drove like garbage lol, my hands were freezing to the leather wheel (I need gloves or something lol) and the heated seats took way too long. I hate winter.

OP, regarding the mount I've seen a few stock mounts crumbling from spirited driving, especially spirited driving in the cold when they are brittle. This Boomba will serve you much nicer, just give it a few hundred miles to break in and expect minor NVH until it's broken in from being so hard in this stupid cold weather. My Cobb mount is great, but I'd have gone with Boomba should I had to choose again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ha try -32 celcius...I got you all beat up here in winterland. My shifts are so sloppy at these temps, I've almost got no 1st gear and jump right to 2nd, as my wheels are looking for traction. I have the Cobb RMM in mine, sorry Boomba it came on the car already.
My question is why the hell does Ford use such crappy stock mounts? It's the first mod everyone suggests for these cars so you'd think they'd have figured it out. Honestly some of these aftermarket parts I wonder why are not already stock on our cars.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Ha try -32 celcius...I got you all beat up here in winterland.
Yeah no thanks, you can keep it. This is bad enough :eek:

I have the Cobb RMM in mine, sorry Boomba it came on the car already.
Same. Was happy to see the receipt for it in my folder when I bought mine used. I'll live with it instead of getting another motor mount lol.

My question is why the hell does Ford use such crappy stock mounts? It's the first mod everyone suggests for these cars so you'd think they'd have figured it out. Honestly some of these aftermarket parts I wonder why are not already stock on our cars.
I almost wonder if they just do it to see if owners break things and pay them money. It's such a huge issue that dealerships are usually fully aware of it when you ask them about it...and they reply "why are you slamming into 2nd gear? If you don't do that then it won't happen." As though it isn't a hot hatch.

·
Registered
224 Posts

On the flip side we got a Chinook and it was +4 yesterday (+18 in direct sun) Lot's of migraines happening now because of how dramatic of a change. I actually like the -20 weather because then I can wash the car and it stays clean, instead of how filthy it is now. It's not a white car right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost wonder if they just do it to see if owners break things and pay them money. It's such a huge issue that dealerships are usually fully aware of it when you ask them about it...and they reply "why are you slamming into 2nd gear? If you don't do that then it won't happen." As though it isn't a hot hatch.
It's funny you mention dealerships breaking things. I actually had the lower portion of my belly pan missing, and of the torx screws were replace with hex bolts... I am now due for an oil change and had been wanting to go full synthetic. After seeing the belly pan issues, I will be replacing the oil myself this weekend. Any one in the cold weather region have a specific oil NOT to use due to poor cold weather characteristics? I'm only focused on the API SN cert and not the bs cert Ford uses.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

On the flip side we got a Chinook and it was +4 yesterday (+18 in direct sun) Lot's of migraines happening now because of how dramatic of a change. I actually like the -20 weather because then I can wash the car and it stays clean, instead of how filthy it is now. It's not a white car right now.
Your car might not be white right now, but mine is. It's disgustingly painted white with road salt. It's too goddamn cold to wash it since the water will instantly freeze to my car lol waiting for a day above freezing to wash it at the local auto bay.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Your car might not be white right now, but mine is. It's disgustingly painted white with road salt. It's too goddamn cold to wash it since the water will instantly freeze to my car lol waiting for a day above freezing to wash it at the local auto bay.

Down the street from me is a "Lazer" touchless wash; it has an undercarriage spray that you drive over as you enter and it stays on as long as the car in the sensors. I buy the cheapest wash, pull through the under carriage spray as slowly as possible stopping every foot or so and then just drive through the wash so I don't get all the nasty chemicals sprayed on the car the touchless wash uses. Then drive home to wash by hand. It does a great job of getting the salt off the underside, but probably confuses the computer for a minute.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Down the street from me is a "Lazer" touchless wash; it has an undercarriage spray that you drive over as you enter and it stays on as long as the car in the sensors. I buy the cheapest wash, pull through the under carriage spray as slowly as possible stopping every foot or so and then just drive through the wash so I don't get all the nasty chemicals sprayed on the car the touchless wash uses. Then drive home to wash by hand. It does a great job of getting the salt off the underside, but probably confuses the computer for a minute.
Hahaha I get judged by some of my buddies who don't understand anything about the harsh chemicals when I go to the crappy cheap car wash over the brand new ridiculous and fancy one, because the $5 wash at the local one sprays the underside and doesn't throw chemicals all over my car..now I still will let it do the normal soap spray and rinse, but none of that bug remover or "wax" garbage...or the rainbow stuff. I would drive through it after the underspray if I could, but the door stays closed on the other side.

The fancy one has the cheapest option of $7 with no underspray, then a $10 underspray option with some "ultra shine" formula at the end, then a $12 package with a dry at the end...no thanks.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad to hear our mount solved all the issues you were having! Thank you for choosing Boomba!
I completely forgot.. it came with a nut in the package and after I installed everything I realized I still had the nut. I never saw where it went and I watched your video and used the pdf instructions. Any idea if my car will randomly combust? Also, for the record I went with anodized blue incase anyone wants to jack up my car to see it hahaha

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
I completely forgot.. it came with a nut in the package and after I installed everything I realized I still had the nut. I never saw where it went and I watched your video and used the pdf instructions. Any idea if my car will randomly combust? Also, for the record I went with anodized blue incase anyone wants to jack up my car to see it hahaha
The nut is optional. Some people request that we include it to be used on the horizontal bolt if enough of it pokes through but we've learned it is not necessary at all.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Ha try -32 celcius...I got you all beat up here in winterland. My shifts are so sloppy at these temps, I've almost got no 1st gear and jump right to 2nd, as my wheels are looking for traction. I have the Cobb RMM in mine, sorry Boomba it came on the car already.
I blame you for this, tomorrow is supposed to have a real feel of about -20*F/-28.9*C here... I'm going to curl up and die. LOL

·
Registered
224 Posts
I blame you for this, tomorrow is supposed to have a real feel of about -20*F/-28.9*C here... I'm going to curl up and die. LOL
Awww you will survive, if I can you can. Your BOV will love the cold, and the heated seats are made for this.

Reactions: BCE22
1 - 18 of 18 Posts