Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Focus ST. It recently started requiring me to press the push start 10+ times to get it to start. Any ideas what could cause this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I have a 2014 Focus ST. It recently started requiring me to press the push start 10+ times to get it to start. Any ideas what could cause this?
Your button's switch is malfunctioning or a short somewhere both sound like reasonable explanations. Do you abuse the button by hitting it hard or anything? I haven't ever heard of this happening, but it can easily happen just like any other button.

OR, are you meaning that the car is cranking but not starting and the button is working fine? In that case the starter or battery could easily be of issue

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your button's switch is malfunctioning or a short somewhere both sound like reasonable explanations. Do you abuse the button by hitting it hard or anything? I haven't ever heard of this happening, but it can easily happen just like any other button.

OR, are you meaning that the car is cranking but not starting and the button is working fine? In that case the starter or battery could easily be of issue
When I push the button I can hear a click, but the engine does not turn over. If I continually push the button it eventually starts.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. Is it the original?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Keyfob battery low? Car battery low?
It could be ignition switch on the clutch pedal.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Could also be the starter or the starter solenoid (often the solenoid is part of the starter) failing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It could be ignition switch on the clutch pedal.
You can tell if it's the clutch switch, because if the car doest see the clutch being pressed, it will tell you need to press it in the cluster.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think it is the switch because every time I press it the lights dim and there is a click. Seems to me like it might be starter or battery like some have said. It is just weird that it will eventually start after pressing several times.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I don't think it is the switch because every time I press it the lights dim and there is a click. Seems to me like it might be starter or battery like some have said. It is just weird that it will eventually start after pressing several times.
If lights dim then yeah, check the battery and terminals (maybe they are corroded).

Have your battery tested before you just throw another one in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Autozone does this for free, OP. I'd take it there and have them test it for you real quick then you'll know if you need another or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If lights dim then yeah, check the battery and terminals (maybe they are corroded).

Have your battery tested before you just throw another one in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Autozone does this for free, OP. I'd take it there and have them test it for you real quick then you'll know if you need another or not.
Had battery tested and it was good. Got a new starter that I am going to put in tomorrow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have to do the same thing with my lawn mower to get it started, but only have to push the prime button about 3-5 times... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts