Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep... That's right. I said Purple Drank tuning. This is a simple testimony of the service and experience I had with PD tuning.

I've searched this forum high and low for people who have had experience with Purple Drank or any other tuner for that matter, and I haven't been able to find much. I'm highly interested with the experience that others have had with tuning, tuners, and the overall process. Currently there seem to be a few major tuning companies that most people are going with these days. I'm sure you all know who they are.

I was originally tuned by Randy @ Mountune. The process was fairly straight forward and the tune was included with the AP. Revisions were sent anywhere from the same day to one week later. I'm sure there were times that the shop was busier than others. The problem I was having was negative ignition corrections. I went through hell trying to figure out what the problem was. We tried all sorts of things but none of the revisions would fix our problem. After several attempts it was stated that NVH or bad gas was the problem. I decided to go a different route.

After extensive research I decided to shoot PD tuning a message on their website. I received a call from Ryan Martin within an hour. We talked about everything I had been through and he assured me he could get me a map to fix the negative corrections the same day. After visiting the website once more and purchasing the tune, Ryan had my first map out to me within a matter of hours. I loaded the map onto the AP and installed it onto the car. My first drive yielded very low negative corrections and the car felt great. After driving 20 miles or so to allow fuel trim learning I performed a few data logs.

Over the next month I completed several revisions with Ryan. At first the maps were coming back the same day or the day after. Once he had his new baby the revisions took a little bit longer, but I was still able to complete at least 2 per week. He kindly let me know that things would be a little bit slower with the arrival of his newborn, and I completely understood. Even so he was diligent, responsive, always picked up the phone, and provided great service and advice along the way.

As for the tune - I see very low ignition corrections. Normally I don't pull anything beyond a -1 or -1.5. The car pulls very hard and very linear through the power band. Boost builds quickly and I don't have many spikes. If I keep shifts below 3.5k I don't get any rev hang, but anything above that may require some learning on how the car will shift throughout different gears. I've had my final revision installed for a few months now and haven't had any issues at all. Due to service visits I've needed to remove and reinstall the AP a few times and haven't had any issues with that either. I don't have any real concerns at this time.

The reason I'm writing this is to not just help PD tuning along their journey, but also to help those who are in the market for a tune and aren't sure who to go with. I can say that so far PD tuning has provided me with a safe & reliable tune that I haven't had any issues with. Here is the link to the website if you are interested in taking a look.

https://www.pd-tuning.com/

If you guys have any questions regarding the tune I received, the process, or anything else for that matter don't hesitate to ask. I purchased the "Standard" tune for $175, but if I did it again I would more than likely purchase the "Lifetime" tune instead for $300. This means you will be covered for the life of the vehicle regardless of how many parts you add to the car down the road.

Thanks for reading,

Bradley

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yep... That's right. I said Purple Drank tuning. This is a simple testimony of the service and experience I had with PD tuning.

I've searched this forum high and low for people who have had experience with Purple Drank or any other tuner for that matter, and I haven't been able to find much. I'm highly interested with the experience that others have had with tuning, tuners, and the overall process. Currently there seem to be a few major tuning companies that most people are going with these days. I'm sure you all know who they are.

I was originally tuned by Randy @ Mountune. The process was fairly straight forward and the tune was included with the AP. Revisions were sent anywhere from the same day to one week later. I'm sure there were times that the shop was busier than others. The problem I was having was negative ignition corrections. I went through hell trying to figure out what the problem was. We tried all sorts of things but none of the revisions would fix our problem. After several attempts it was stated that NVH or bad gas was the problem. I decided to go a different route.

After extensive research I decided to shoot PD tuning a message on their website. I received a call from Ryan Martin within an hour. We talked about everything I had been through and he assured me he could get me a map to fix the negative corrections the same day. After visiting the website once more and purchasing the tune, Ryan had my first map out to me within a matter of hours. I loaded the map onto the AP and installed it onto the car. My first drive yielded very low negative corrections and the car felt great. After driving 20 miles or so to allow fuel trim learning I performed a few data logs.

Over the next month I completed several revisions with Ryan. At first the maps were coming back the same day or the day after. Once he had his new baby the revisions took a little bit longer, but I was still able to complete at least 2 per week. He kindly let me know that things would be a little bit slower with the arrival of his newborn, and I completely understood. Even so he was diligent, responsive, always picked up the phone, and provided great service and advice along the way.

As for the tune - I see very low ignition corrections. Normally I don't pull anything beyond a -1 or -1.5. The car pulls very hard and very linear through the power band. Boost builds quickly and I don't have many spikes. If I keep shifts below 3.5k I don't get any rev hang, but anything above that may require some learning on how the car will shift throughout different gears. I've had my final revision installed for a few months now and haven't had any issues at all. Due to service visits I've needed to remove and reinstall the AP a few times and haven't had any issues with that either. I don't have any real concerns at this time.

The reason I'm writing this is to not just help PD tuning along their journey, but also to help those who are in the market for a tune and aren't sure who to go with. I can say that so far PD tuning has provided me with a safe & reliable tune that I haven't had any issues with. Here is the link to the website if you are interested in taking a look.

https://www.pd-tuning.com/

If you guys have any questions regarding the tune I received, the process, or anything else for that matter don't hesitate to ask. I purchased the "Standard" tune for $175, but if I did it again I would more than likely purchase the "Lifetime" tune instead for $300. This means you will be covered for the life of the vehicle regardless of how many parts you add to the car down the road.

Thanks for reading,

Bradley
My stroker setup is tuned by Ryan. Best tuner I have worked with on this platform. Wouldn't have anyone else tune my car. Great guy, great service, and an awesome tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never had personal experience with PD, but from my days on the mazdaspeed forums, I had never heard anything other than positive reviews. None of your experience is surprising.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts