Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We have gas stations all over Oregon that have it, "Clear gas" aka non-Ethanol. I can pull up to a few stations and get damn near any flavor I want: 87, 91, 93, 100, 110 ... various other E mixes... all come at a crazy price... 100 is like $8+ a gal.

I have tested and played with many of them, not worth it, the car wants Ethanol, even says so in the manual, I know those things dont get opened anymore but... referring to stock tune. of course a tuner could tune your car for 100oct or even 93+E30 or whatever flavor

My best results are on 92+E15 . it "feels" faster and I get better MPG out of it. 100% 92 doesn't feel as punchy and I get worse MPG. ran many different flavors and much data logging and I will stick with my ethanol mix.

again on stock tune, just run pump gas and get the highest grade you can buy with ethanol added. your car will thank you and so with your butt dyno

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put 4 gallons of 91 octane pure gas in it. No meth or eth in. My gas mileage went through the roof. I typically run 24.5-25.5 but with this pure gas I?m sitting at 31.2
That could be due to the longer trip I took. But I was half city (35-40 mph zones, stop signs, etc) and half highway to my job, 70mph on cruise control.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The only time I ever put any gasoline containing alcohol was when I am on a long road trip, like when I drove 4,000 miles to and from the Octane Academy. Even then, I look for alcohol free.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I put 4 gallons of 91 octane pure gas in it. No meth or eth in. My gas mileage went through the roof. I typically run 24.5-25.5 but with this pure gas I?m sitting at 31.2
That could be due to the longer trip I took. But I was half city (35-40 mph zones, stop signs, etc) and half highway to my job, 70mph on cruise control.
1 time isn't going to give you results... you have to do it for 4-5 tanks at least. the cost will not make it worth it even if you you said is true and in my case it was not. I got worse MPG and less go out of clear gas.

I avg 30mpg on my daily drive and drive 42 miles one way to work. I can burn 2 tanks of a week. so I can run these tests rather fast LOL .

My fill ups are @ Shell 92+E15 I think, it might be E10.

Also if you are just referring to MPG then you better watch your skinny pedal usage and use the cruise control as much as possible as well as driving the same route. otherwise your test will be flawed in so many ways.

·
Registered
825 Posts
100% gasoline is no longer available around here.
Back in the early 2000's I could drive to a neighboring county and buy 100% gas.
With 100% gas my mileage was better by about 2 mpg. This in a car getting 20/22mpg.

The whole ethanol thing is a boondoggle. No longer needed, just we are stuck with it due to EPA and big Agra business interests.
THe ethanol thing started before the Canadian Shale got going...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Everything around me, I think, is mandated to be at LEAST 10% ethanol. The only places that might sell pure gas is boat marinas.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If I fly the 9,200 miles to Australia..
But will they let me bring back a couple of thousand gallons of gasoline in my 'take on' luggage?
haha miles, we use kilometers here. You should convert to the metric system it's amazing units are grouped and interchangeable.

To be honest it's not that great of a fuel. Looking at many 93 AKI logs it performs about the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been running 93 noneth in mine since I bought it in June. Twice I have used the 93 infected crap and the mileage does drop by about 3-5 mpgs. If you want fuel mileage go with noneth. If you want power, use the ethanol laced fuel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
haha miles, we use kilometers here. You should convert to the metric system it's amazing units are grouped and interchangeable.

To be honest it's not that great of a fuel. Looking at many 93 AKI logs it performs about the same.
Yes 98 RON fuel is about the same as our 93 AKI fuel. Rating a fuel based on its Research Octane Number makes it appear to be more knock resistant than it really is. That is why the US/CAN uses the AKI or (R+M)/2 method.

As for using E0 or pure gasoline...not worth the expense. If you can get it for the same price, it will offer a few percent improvement in fuel economy, but if you have to pay significantly more for it, it isn't worth it. With that said, I do use E0 fuel in my outdoor power equipment, since the ethanol is harder on rubber hoses and can cause the fuel to deteriorate more quickly.

Reactions: screzzy

·
Vendor
624 Posts
no thread needed. absolutely not! the ethanol has knock resistant properties, you'll make less power on the straight petrol 93 vs e10 93 because the knock sensors will be going wild.

·
Registered
344 Posts
no thread needed. absolutely not! the ethanol has knock resistant properties, you'll make less power on the straight petrol 93 vs e10 93 because the knock sensors will be going wild.
You do know that the AKI in 93 AKI stands for anti knock index right? so you are saying that if two fuels are tested with the exact same AKI rating but one has ethanol in it then you can run more timing on the one with ethanol as it is magical and tricks the testing procedure used to determine a fuels octane rating? or is it that you believe the octane rating to be a moot point and should base your fuel decisions on what % of ethanol is in it.

Also do you have any test data that shows two fuels with identical octane ratings but one with ethanol performing differently?

·
Vendor
624 Posts
Some shop I forget which, posted up about it on facebook, people were going to gas station and paying extra for ethanol free 93 and tuner was complaining because it makes the car more knock prone. Octane isn't everything most e85 is only 102->105 but it still out performas 116 octane race gas. Ethanol burns cooler which reduces cylinder temperatures during combustion and allowing for more pressure before detonation. E10 93 is a superior fuel to Petrol only 93 all day every day, ask any tuner.

Also if you want to do any home testing it's simple. Flash an OTS cobb stage 1 map for 93 octane, put in pure 93 petrol and log ign corrections for cyl 1/4 and log ignition timing for cyl 1/4 and do 3 wot pulls from 2,500 to 6500 rpm on each fuel. send me the 6 logs and I'll review them and show you where the knock sensors pulled timing under boost. Make sure to run the pure 93 down to 5 miles until E to ensure accurate results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts