Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Is it okay to run E85 for a couple of minutes?

The E85 station near me has the two pumps at different places so I have to fill up on E85, start the car and move to a 91 pump. Or should I just estimate 91 needed and then drive off to fill the e85?

There's a gas station 16 miles away that has the two pumps right next to each other so its easy to do a mix.

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi guys,

Is it okay to run E85 for a couple of minutes?

The E85 station near me has the two pumps at different places so I have to fill up on E85, start the car and move to a 91 pump. Or should I just estimate 91 needed and then drive off to fill the e85?

There's a gas station 16 miles away that has the two pumps right next to each other so its easy to do a mix.

Thanks
Lol
It’s fine to move to a different pump unless your a madman and boost from pump to pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol
It’s fine to move to a different pump unless your a madman and boost from pump to pump.

Lol, yes, I'm not knowingly a madman! Good to know.

it should not take a couple of mins to drive from one pump to another(at the same station).
Yeah, it doesn't haha. I was probably accounting for some padding just in case of worst possible situation where I need to move from the E85 and wait for another pump.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Is the E85 uphill from the 91? You could coast to it. ;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
What percentage of each? Fill up the lower percentage first.
There is always some gas left in the tank.
Typically two gallons..
The new stuff mixes with that
Then when you fill with the larger percentage, being put in will cause a good mixing.
If the larger percentage goes in first.. The lower percentage may not mix fully when you pump it in.
So like 7 gal and 3 gal.
Do the 3 gal part first.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Typically two gallons..
Then when you fill with the larger percentage, being put in will cause a good mixing.
If the larger percentage goes in first.. The lower percentage may not mix fully when you pump it in.
So like 7 gal and 3 gal.
Do the 3 gal part first.
It will mix no problem. Ethanol and gas mix very well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the E85 uphill from the 91? You could coast to it. ;)
Haha, I wish. Unfortunately its pretty flat, but the thought about pushing it to the next pump has crossed my mind. I'll drive it for now, but if there's ever a station on a slightly slant, I'll let it roll.

Typically two gallons..
So like 7 gal and 3 gal.
Do the 3 gal part first.
Yeah I'm doing the 3 gal e85 first since that seems like what most people do.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
seriously, as long as you are not going crazy on the throttle, there would be no problem, however if it was me and I had to wait for the second pump, I wouldn't have the car running while I was waiting.

part of the reason I decided to go with the corn/dino mix was because I almost exclusively get gas from one gas stating next to my house, and they have E85 and 93 at the same pump.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
This thread reminds me of one of those brain teasers where you can only cross one animal at a time without them eating each other. lol. Why not fill up with your gasoline first then put in your Ethanol?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This thread reminds me of one of those brain teasers where you can only cross one animal at a time without them eating each other. lol. Why not fill up with your gasoline first then put in your Ethanol?
well the biggest reason is that since most people want to fill their tanks up all the way, its kind of hard to tell exactly how much fuel is left in the tank. its a lot easier to add the correct amount of corn, then top it the rest of the way off off with the dino.

I always do 4gal e85 then my 93
well that interesting... maybe my calculator is off but once my fuel light comes on, there is only room for ten gallons of fuel that can be added. and at that point it only takes 2.66 gal of corn and the rest 93 to get to E30. if you are putting 4 gal of E85 in when the light comes on, your total mixture would be around E40, even if you ran the tank dry and had to push the car to the pump you should only need a little over 3 gal of E85 to get to E30.

unless of course all gasoline in your area is 100% corn free. I would be careful to make sure that you are not getting too high of an ethanol ratio in your fuel as it requires the engine to need more fuel and at some point, your OEM fuel system will not be able to keep up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts