Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running the pumaspeed heavyduty 3port boost control solenoid?
Figure if i have to replace it might as well upgrade.
Think the factory one i have is causing my boost and throttle closure issue.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looks to be like a well made unit. I would call and see it the stock unit has the same plug or is there a way to make it work. Why do you have to replace the stock unit?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking either my factory boost control solenoid has a issue,or my boost tap location on the turbo coupler is not good.
Everything boost and throttle wise was ok earlier this year according to my logs,but i replaced the turbo coupler in may along with adding my breedt im and cp-e catless dp.Now i have a boost issue that in turn is closing my tb blades.Here is a brief datalog i did yesterday.
datazap.me | redfocusst | 2863r turbo boost solenoid issue

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well upon trying to figure out a boost issue i found the cap on my t fitting was coming apart.
cap on boost controler t failed.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Changing boost solenoids is not just an easy swap, and you need to make sure your tuner supports it and will tune for it.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking that may have been an issue.
Yea i would say so.After taking the t fitting out and just running the hose direct from my boost solenoid to the boost tap did a 3rd gear datalog,boost was looking normal 25-26.4lbs till i had a boost spike of 28.77lbs @ 4,700 rpms which triggered my ga.Also had some abnormal throttle closure from 4,700-5,600 rpms.Waiting to hear back from my tuner.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out my factory boost solenoid is fine.Looks like the cheap rubber vacuum cap coming apart was the issue.
That should not happen again as i have installed some mcmaster-carr high temp silicone vacuum caps,one on my t-fitting to boost controller and 2 on the oem bpv solenoid that is not used anymore.
mcmaster-carr high temp silicone vacuum caps.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts