Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

· Registered
2018 Focus ST3
269 Posts
If you have some power goals or spoil characteristics in mind, I'm sure many people here can recommend a good turbo.

I vote for the pulsar version of the G series. It's newer, spools fast, flows a lot up top. It's the newest gen, improves on the GTX series.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you have some power goals or spoil characteristics in mind, I'm sure many people here can recommend a good turbo.

I vote for the pulsar version of the G series. It's newer, spools fast, flows a lot up top. It's the newest gen, improves on the GTX series.
I'm looking at being capable of being able to surpass that 400whp mark should I choose to build the motor in the future. But also being fun to drive and spool alright in the mean time. See and I was looking at the 25-550 also.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
I'm looking at being capable of being able to surpass that 400whp mark should I choose to build the motor in the future. But also being fun to drive and spool alright in the mean time. See and I was looking at the 25-550 also.
So many people do this and shouldn't in my opinion. The cost of a turbo vs the cost of an engine build is small. Buy the turbo for the stock engine, then sell it and buy a different turbo for a stroker.

That being said, g25 550 is great for stock engine and mild builds. Not sure if it comes IWG though.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So many people do this and shouldn't in my opinion. The cost of a turbo vs the cost of an engine build is small. Buy the turbo for the stock engine, then sell it and buy a different turbo for a stroker.

That being said, g25 550 is great for stock engine and mild builds. Not sure if it comes IWG though.
Font Rectangle Technology Electronic device Screenshot

· Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Definitely with IWG. Saves you money (which is the point of doing the Pulsar turbo anyway, right?

· Registered
61 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can't install g25 550 with IWG due to its position.
Anyway boost control is better with external wastegate. IWG springs sometimes go soft with time (I guess do to heat) having problem creating desired max boost.
I had this problem with my actuator (stock and aftermarket) before I installed g25 550.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

· Registered
2018 Focus ST3
269 Posts
Went with the iwg variant. As @TurboGT pointed out, the whole point of this was to save money. So, @jwuonog a custom down pipe would be needed? The depo one I have will not work for sure with the iwg 25-550?
But I believe a custom downpipe would be required because of the way the turbine outlet faces.

Leg Automotive tire Bicycle part Human leg Auto part

Notice how the downpipe mates to the stock turbo.

You wouldn't need the v band downpipe adapter, but you'd have to pay a fabricator to make a 3" downpipe.

· Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
Went with the iwg variant. As @TurboGT pointed out, the whole point of this was to save money. So, @jwuonog a custom down pipe would be needed? The depo one I have will not work for sure with the iwg 25-550?
I mentioned via PM that you'd have to have it modified, assuming the ATP vband outlet adapter I linked doesn't work at all on the IWG housing.

· Registered
61 Posts

I don't see why the IWG variant wouldn't fit... but a custom downpipe would be needed as opposed to using the atp adapter.

Plus, EWG dump sounds are the best!
Because of the way the wastegate linkage is connected. The way actuator sits on this photo, I'm not sure that there would be room for it. It would be positioned between turbo and engine block. You can move the actuator around a little bit but I don't think it's enough. I didn't want to take any chances so I went with EWG.
Anyway, there must be a reason why nobody sells IWG kit (at least I haven't seen one) :)

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Because of the way the wastegate linkage is connected. The way actuator sits on this photo, I'm not sure that there would be room for it. It would be positioned between turbo and engine block. You can move the actuator around a little bit but I don't think it's enough. I didn't want to take any chances so I went with EWG.
Anyway, there must be a reason why nobody sells IWG kit (at least I haven't seen one) :)
Worst comes to worse, I'll send them the back half back and swap it for ewg exhaust side.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
But I believe a custom downpipe would be required because of the way the turbine outlet faces.

View attachment 400891

Notice how the downpipe mates to the stock turbo.

You wouldn't need the v band downpipe adapter, but you'd have to pay a fabricator to make a 3" downpipe.
OK, so on the atp kit it uses the downpipe adapter. Obviously, that's an ewg model. But, if I have to go the route of swapping to an ewg housing, I would be able to use the downpipe adapter, no? Btw Pulsar did tell me that dimensionally the turbos are identical to garrett.

· Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
OK, so on the atp kit it uses the downpipe adapter. Obviously, that's an ewg model. But, if I have to go the route of swapping to an ewg housing, I would be able to use the downpipe adapter, no? Btw Pulsar did tell me that dimensionally the turbos are identical to garrett.
Yes you could use that adapter with the EWG hotside

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Alright. So, decided to change it up and avoid the hassle of going with iwg failures (off brand) and not even fitting at all.

What I've come up with as far as what is needed for just the turbo kit itself (excluding wg and dump tube) is as follows.

Pulsar ewg g25-550 - $1049 (I optioned it with t51r mod, .72ar w/o iwg, forward rotation)

Junits ewg Elbow - $450

ATP turbo downpipe adapter - $125

3" to 3" 90° silicone elbow - $43 (cheaper available?)

Peiced together line kit (atp parts) listed in page one of this thread - $159

Manifold gasket - $8

2 x quick tap boost source fittings - $20

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Alright ladies and gents. Everything has been ordered. I know there are some people looking at this thread from fb st groups to see if this is an all inclusive list. I will report back to you with my findings. Some stuff (Manifold gasket and turbo elbow) is back ordered. So it may be a couple weeks, yet.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
View attachment 400843

These are the lines you will need. Look at pictures/video of atp turbo install if you are not sure. I would recommend getting an 18" coolant feed line instead of 12". It helped me a bit with clearance.
I ordered from the list you provided below this image. Since you were so kind to provide links. On the picture list from atp, it says (2) 14mm to 6AN male to male fittings, did I need to order two? Or...?

Also just noticed, there isn't a bajo fitting listed in the links for the coolant line. Not needed in the list you provided?

· Registered
2018 Focus ST3
269 Posts
21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.