Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok soooo let's say I wanted to Guinea pig a pulsar turbo. Anyone have experience with them? I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Being that it would just be a turbo and not the whole kit, these are the things I've gathered that I'd need? But I also saw the atp kits come with oil and coolant lines?
Automotive lighting Tableware Font Material property Automotive design

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Document

I'd be going most likely with the 2867R not sure which AR to go with, as there are a few more options than just selecting one of the atp kits built specifically for our cars. I know I need dual Vband but would I want .64ar or .82? And then last option is actuator... Is that the wastegate option?
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

Rectangle Font Electronic device Number Circle

Rectangle Font Circle Logo Brand

If this is the waste gate, I could just choose no actuator and do the 3p kit that I want to do right?

Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO

Thats the guy you want to talk to about piecing together a DIY cheap turbo setup.

Super Moderator
Did you find a source for the ATP elbow? :oops:

I would recommend the updated elbow designed and built by the community:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you find a source for the ATP elbow? :oops:

I would recommend the updated elbow designed and built by the community:

Isn't that the one I posted a pic of for 249? I messaged Michael about his. 馃憣

Registered
2018 Focus ST3
Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

These are the lines you will need. Look at pictures/video of atp turbo install if you are not sure. I would recommend getting an 18" coolant feed line instead of 12". It helped me a bit with clearance.

Registered
2018 Focus ST3
Also, I'm pretty sure the turbo comes with fittings already. You just need lines and the connections on the block side. I'd double check with Pulsar. They might have a different recommendation for their oil and coolant fittings.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, I'm pretty sure the turbo comes with fittings already. You just need lines and the connections on the block side. I'd double check with Pulsar. They might have a different recommendation for their oil and coolant fittings.
Looks like it does have fittings.
Font Number Document Circle

Attachments

Registered
2018 Focus ST3
Oil feed line:

This piece will go from your block to the line feeding oil to your turbo:

You will reuse your stock oil drain tube, but need this gasket and these stepdown studs and nuts:

These two pieces will go from your block, right next to the downpipe:

Coolant feed line:

Coolant return line:

On the other end of the coolant return line, you will connect this to the rubber coolant line near the driver's side:

You will also need 6" of silicone hose, 3/8" in diameter and a hose clamp. The hose will go around the barb above and then clamp into the plastic housing on the driver side.

Edit: (thanks to TurboGT for pointing this out)
You will also probably need this banjo fitting on the coolant fitting of the turbo that faces the block. The provided fitting might not give enough clearance for a coolant line to fit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oil feed line:

This piece will go from your block to the line feeding oil to your turbo:

You will reuse your stock oil drain tube, but need this gasket and these stepdown studs and nuts:

These two pieces will go from your block, right next to the downpipe:

Coolant feed line:

Coolant return line:

On the other end of the coolant return line, you will connect this to the rubber coolant line near the driver's side:

You will also need 6" of silicone hose, 3/8" in diameter and a hose clamp. The hose will go around the barb above and then clamp into the plastic housing on the driver side.
Wow bro. Thanks. This is super helpful. 馃憣

So, lines are figured out. I'd need the junits adapter and an ewg/dump tube. My depo downpipe will bolt up to either the 2867 or the 3071 (even if it's a knockoff like pulsar?) same with my mishi intake? Anything else I'm gonna need?

Registered
2018 Focus ST3
Silicone elbow. 90 degrees. Maybe some extenders and additional silicone straight sections. You'll have to play with it to get your intake to reach.

I think my 90 degree silicone coupler connects to the compressor inlet, then a 3" metal adapter, connected to another straight silicone coupler, then the intake pipe goes into that.

Someone can chime in and confirm...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silicone elbow. 90 degrees. Maybe some extenders and additional silicone straight sections. You'll have to play with it to get your intake to reach.

I think my 90 degree silicone coupler connects to the compressor inlet, then a 3" metal adapter, connected to another straight silicone coupler, then the intake pipe goes into that.

Someone can chime in and confirm...
But I can buy a generic 3" silicone elbow for that right? And maybe some 3" straight sections? I should also add, I already have the upgraded cold side with the hks bov

Registered
2018 Focus ST3
But I can buy a generic 3" silicone elbow for that right? And maybe some 3" straight sections? I should also add, I already have the upgraded cold side with the hks bov
Yup. You should be good to go. Plus a tune.

Post a lot of pics, I want to see this setup!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup. You should be good to go. Plus a tune.

Post a lot of pics, I want to see this setup!
One last question, I'm trying to spec the 3071 to as similar as the atp kit as possible. Like I said, the 3071 doesn't seem to have an iwg. But the .63 AR option is t3. The only dual vband setups are .82 or.83. Is that too big?
Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Number

Super Moderator
So the turbine inlet has an option for a 2.5" vband. The ATP Garret turbos use a special Tial vband specifically for the GT28 to GT30 turbos. I think the difference is the centering ridge in the inner diameter of the vband that has a positive engagement to the other side. So a standard ATP or Junits exhaust elbow may not work.

You can spend 30 bucks and find out though once you have the turbo in your hands. The proper flange is Vibrant #1416

Super Moderator
And yes .83 housing on a 3076 will NEVER spool. It's going to be so slow except for 7000 to 8000 RPM. I don't recommend a turbo that large unless you have some wild stroker engine

Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
And yes .83 housing on a 3076 will NEVER spool. It's going to be so slow except for 7000 to 8000 RPM. I don't recommend a turbo that large unless you have some wild stroker engine
Yeah ok. "Words"

Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
Wow bro. Thanks. This is super helpful. 馃憣

So, lines are figured out. I'd need the junits adapter and an ewg/dump tube. My depo downpipe will bolt up to either the 2867 or the 3071 (even if it's a knockoff like pulsar?) same with my mishi intake? Anything else I'm gonna need?
@sttwoton can give you a better inside on that turbo because it is very popular across the pond. The T51r modification will slow down the spooling because is bleeding out the compressor side to make the whistle.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.