Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been noticing that I pretty consistently pull timing in first gear when accelerating normally from a stop. It happens most often when accelerating into a turn (ie stop sign intersection). Also, it seems to be most prevalent in one cylinder. I often see -3.00 or higher blips in cylinder 3 in this situation with other cylinders hitting -.50.

Anyone else experience this type of correction in these situations?

I'm not concerned; just curious.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems to be worse when traction is bad. This morning taking a left turn off of an exit ramp with slick/snowy roads I hit negative -4.3 in Cylinder 3 in first gear. The other cylinders I believe stayed at 0.00 (one other might have been down -.38ish if at all). Is it normal to have one cylinder behave this way?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if you have found an answer, but I have noticed the same thing. Cylinder 3 pulls about 2 degrees of timing when starting off in first gear. But under WOT it will add up to 4 degrees consistently. I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about, you could always check your plug gap

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,104 Posts
So I have been noticing that I pretty consistently pull timing in first gear when accelerating normally from a stop. It happens most often when accelerating into a turn (ie stop sign intersection). Also, it seems to be most prevalent in one cylinder. I often see -3.00 or higher blips in cylinder 3 in this situation with other cylinders hitting -.50.

Anyone else experience this type of correction in these situations?

I'm not concerned; just curious.
Do you have negative corrections while at Wide Open Throttle? If no - you're probably perfectly fine. If yes - check plug gap and regap/replace and gap them.

If you answered no above, back to your current issue...how long ago did you install your exhaust and downpipe? Have you checked it again recently to ensure it's not rubbing? My downpipe at times will ever so slightly rub against my "brillo pad mount" area in a weird way and cause a vibration sound which the car thinks is knock. This only happened in 1st and reverse whenever my RPMs would bog down (think about it...when you get going from a stop you give it a little gas and let out the clutch and the RPMs drop lower than they do in any other gear...) and when it would bog down coupled with that slight rub...false knock. After adjusting it, it almost entirely went away other than very rarely. Ask Duece, I texted him a few times about it last year because my corrections were -6 (the max) while REVERSING OUT OF MY PARKING SPOT...lol.

So yeah, if negatives show up at any time and you are not in boost, they're almost certainly false knock. When they happen in 1st while you're getting going from a stop - it's probably something rubbing or bumping somewhere causing false knock. Check your exhaust out and make sure everything is buttoned up nice. Regardless, you're fine. Unless this is happening while you're building 18psi LAUNCHING out of your parking spot to get home on time from work every day

·
Registered
94 Posts
Extremely relieved to find this thread. I'm experiencing the same problem. Knock counts up to 7 and pulling timing up to 5deg on first gear normal starts under no boost. Under wot or normal acceleration adding 4deg timing constantly. Always cylinder 3.

Hopefully it really is nothing because I was starting to stress.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Probably nothing, BUT I strongly suggest you both do compression test, it doesnt take but maybe 20 mins to do all 4 cylinders. I get negative corrections of around-1.00 in just cyl 4 while pulling out occasionally. As mentioned this is caused from the engine shaking during pull out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts