Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Psilynts 2014 ST3 GTX2867 build (now with more methanol!)

Figured it was time to start a build thread since I just submitted an order with Stratified for an ATP turbo kit! I will be keeping the the first post up to date with the current state as well as posting updates in this thread as parts come in and as I make progress!

Note : This thread is best viewed with Imagus for Chrome or Imagus for Firefox

Car info
2014 Tuxedo black ST3
Build date - Oct 20, 2014
Build number - ...

Current mod list

Engine
- ATP GTX2867R .64AR
- Cobb AccessPort v3 (Tuxedo Black faceplate)
- Stratified custom tune by Alex (93/WMI/e20 maps)
- Mountune Hi-flow catted downpipe (current)
- Milltek catless downpipe (removed)
- Milltek non-resonated Cat-Back Exhaust
- Synapse Synchronic blow off valve (Tial flange)
- CP-E 'Exhale' cold side pipe
- CP-E 'HotCharge' hot side pipe
- Steeda 3.5" intercooler
- VelossaTech 'Big Mouth' snorkel
- CFM intake tube
- Mountune 'High-Flow' intake hose
- Denso ITV22s
- Vibrant J Defouler
- DevilsOwn 3 bar stage 2 WMI kit (D07 nozzle)
- Mountune rear motor mount

Transmission
- Motul DCTF
- Breedt 'Quick-Shift' arm (P3)
- Anarchy Motive 'Atlas' shift knob
- NeedlessTorque shift cable bushing
- FSWerks shift bracket bushings

Appearance
- Niche Targa M130 18x8
- LLumar 30% ceramic tint
- ZL1 rock guards
- CPC hood struts
- Octane Academy badges
- VisualGarage sharkfin antenna cover

Interior
- FindWay Floor Mats
- Spigen magnetic mount (for AP3)
- A6 Nav update

Lighting
- German eFocus tail lamps
- 35w HID upgrade
- Osram 35w CBB D3S bulbs
- VLEDs 194 LED puddle lights
- Morimoto XB 194 LED hatch lights
- Diode Dynamics SMF1 vanity mirror lights
- Headlight Armor "GT Yellow" fog light film
- LED eyebrow always-on mod

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Picture spam

When she was brand new

Freshly tinted

Calipers painted

Snorkel and intercooler installed

Engine bay

New shoes!

Synapse valve and my oversized Purolator PL20195 filter

The new snail being installed

Sharkfin

GTX2867 E20 Dyno

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Sub'd. Looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: psilynt

·
Registered
456 Posts
DIP those wheels!!

The build is looking sweet though! Can't wait to see how it turns out. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on a BT. Are you going to self install?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DIP those wheels!!

The build is looking sweet though! Can't wait to see how it turns out. One of these days I'll pull the trigger on a BT. Are you going to self install?

Wheels will be getting replaced with TSW Nurburgrings & MPSS rubber very soon. :)

I will be doing the turbo myself, never done a turbo swap before but with the EdgeAutoSports guide and the SpoolTuning video I feel pretty comfortable tackling it. I think the worst part will be having to do it on jackstands, I really wish there was somewhere local I couldnt rent a lift for a day but I'll make do.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of improvement did you notice from the needless torque solutions bushing? I just ordered mine.
Before I bought it, I was thinking it would just remove the "pitch play", ie. the back-and-forth slop but it's more than that. It not only eliminates pretty much all the play on the pitch axis but also firms up just about every other aspect of the shifter mechanism. You get a lot more engagement feedback and a lot more "connected" feel to the shift arm. This bushing made a more dramatic change in feel than my FSWerks shift bracket bushings and it was easier to install too. Definitely happy with it and would recommend it if you want a more raw feel. I noticed that it does seem to soften up a touch after using it for a while, at first it was almost jarringly raw but it has since softened up enough now that it feels perfect IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my Synapse valve today! I took it out and hooked it up to the OEM solenoid just to confirm it works. Holy cow is this thing fast! It looks like it opens way quicker than I see the Tial and HKS valves from the videos I've seen online. I'm super anxious to get my charge pipes in so I can hook this guy up for real and see how it performs.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
Got my Synapse valve today! I took it out and hooked it up to the OEM solenoid just to confirm it works. Holy cow is this thing fast! It looks like it opens way quicker than I see the Tial and HKS valves from the videos I've seen online. I'm super anxious to get my charge pipes in so I can hook this guy up for real and see how it performs.
those are badass units for sure!!

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered some wheels and rubber to go with the new turbo

- Niche Targa M130 18x8
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40ZR18
- Ford OEM TPMS
- Gorilla Lug nut kit

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the mail day that makes all other mail days pale in comparison. GTX2867 .64AR with JBR charge pipes. Thanks again to @[email protected] for helping me pick this kit and putting up with my absurd amount of questions!

Completely unexpected but it looks like ATP has moved to including a cast downpipe adapter flange in their kit!! This is the best kind of surprise I could have hoped for with this kit!

All the included bits and pieces. Not sure what this stubby pipe and short silicon hose are for though.

Charge pipes came packaged way better than this, I just ripped into it as soon as I walked in the door :p

Test fitting my Synapse Synchronic BOV with the Tial flange. Hose barbs will be swapped out for their push-lock fittings.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is the mail day that makes all other mail days pale in comparison. GTX2867 .64AR with JBR charge pipes. Thanks again to @[email protected] for helping me pick this kit and putting up with my absurd amount of questions!

Completely unexpected but it looks like ATP has moved to including a cast downpipe adapter flange in their kit!! This is the best kind of surprise I could have hoped for with this kit!

All the included bits and pieces. Not sure what this stubby pipe and short silicon hose are for though.

Charge pipes came packaged way better than this, I just ripped into it as soon as I walked in the door :p

Test fitting my Synapse Synchronic BOV with the Tial flange. Hose barbs will be swapped out for their push-lock fittings.

Very nice! You are going to love it. Also, it is HUGE that ATP finally has a cast dp adapter. I am excited that I am getting a new turbo, what a bonus. The old welded piece left a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice! You are going to love it. Also, it is HUGE that ATP finally has a cast dp adapter. I am excited that I am getting a new turbo, what a bonus. The old welded piece left a lot to be desired.
Totally agree about the cast downpipe flange being HUGE news! I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about that part being cast now so it caught me totally by surprise. I pulled it out of the bubble wrap and quickly thought "damn, for being hand welded that thing sure does look strange", once I got a closer look at it I realized that it was, indeed, now a cast part. I actually almost bought the SBD kit purely to get the cast DP flange so I was beyond delighted to find this!

Which size turbo are you going with?

·
Vendor
2,565 Posts
Totally agree about the cast downpipe flange being HUGE news! I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about that part being cast now so it caught me totally by surprise. I pulled it out of the bubble wrap and quickly thought "damn, for being hand welded that thing sure does look strange", once I got a closer look at it I realized that it was, indeed, now a cast part. I actually almost bought the SBD kit purely to get the cast DP flange so I was beyond delighted to find this!

ATP pulled a fast ... and good one on us with this surprise. Just got off the phone with them and all their kits now come with the cast elbow! Do you mind if I share the pictures of the cast piece on our FB page?

·
Registered
484 Posts

2976 with a little something extra if it goes as planned.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ATP pulled a fast ... and good one on us with this surprise. Just got off the phone with them and all their kits now come with the cast elbow! Do you mind if I share the pictures of the cast piece on our FB page?
Feel free to share my pictures wherever you like

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Couldn't help myself, wanted to experiment with getting my feed/drain lines wrapped. I picked up some 3/4" ID x 10' Hot Rod Sleeving from Amazon and it fits like a dream on the coolant feed and drain lines. It is pretty oversized for the oil feed line so I'm going to see if I can find a way to clamp it down or some way keep it in place. I only ended up using about 4.5ft out of 10 so there is still plenty left over.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So I got the Synapse Synchronic BOV and JBR cold side installed this evening and can confirm it fits and functions perfectly on the ST. This thing vents lightning fast. I have it hooked up to the OEM solenoid and it will vent as quickly as you can blip the throttle with absolutely zero flutter or surge at any boost level. It responds so quickly you could almost believe there is some kind of mechanical linkage to the throttle to trigger actuation. I have mine hooked up to both A & B ports and I also removed the preload spring. I will admit, the fitment is very tight in some regards. The Synchronic valve is one big beast and you will have to fiddle with and adjust it A LOT to get proper clearances all around. I initially wanted to have the poppet valve facing down but the back of the valve is just too tall to clear the engine. I spent probably the better part of an hour tweaking and rotating and adjusting until I was happy. As far as sound, this thing is loud! Not like the HKS "chirp" loud, but more like an "industrial" pump venting type sound. I will try to get some video of it soon.

The JBR cold side pipe install was very straight-forward and fit with a decent enough amount of room to spare around the radiator support and AC compressor. I was concerned there might be clearance issues with the AC compressor based on what a lot of other people have mentioned but it doesn't seem like the JBR sits that close to anything around it. Maybe I was able to adjust mine just right or maybe it's just the pictures I've seen but I think the JBR cold side pipe fits better than the a lot of other alternatives appear to. The silicon hoses, t-bolt clamps, and pipes all fit like they could have come from Ford that way.

However, I am having one problem and I think I know what the source is. I am down on power and not making the full 23-ish PSI of boost that I normally see. I'm almost certain it's the cheesy little spring JBR includes for use with the factory BPV instead of using a proper milled/solid block off plate. The reason I feel so confident this is the issue is because of some testing I did with my Mountune BPV. I went through and hooked everything up for the Synapse valve but left the Mountune BPV in the turbo (capped off) and was only able to make ~18 psi of boost. At which point, I went through the headache of re-installing the OEM BPV with the JBR spring (again, capped off) which was better but still only allowed me to get to 21 PSI. Based on those results, I am highly suspect that the spring JBR includes is only capable of holding about 21 psi. At this point I'm not sure what I want to do, I hate to spend $30-40 on a milled block off plate with the GTX install just around the corner, but on the other hand I would really like confirmation that the Synapse valve is holding boost and functioning 100% properly before I start adding more variables into the mix.

I will try to get some better pictures later but since it was dark out and getting close to raining these are the two potato pics I managed to grab.

I had to use the 90 degree push lock fittings since the valve was "upside down" from how I originally envisioned it due to clearance issues. The whole valve sits at an angle to get enough clearance with the AC compressor, the back of the valve is rotated towards the AC compressor and the "face" of the valve is pointed towards the base of the oil filter.

I just sloppily ran the vacuum line up across the intake manifold for now since I was rushing to avoid rain. I plan to clean this up and hide the line a lot better at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Sweet install! Looking forward to hearing it in action.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.