Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also after talking to people, it seems like having both an aftermarket rear motor mount and an aftermarket DP make it worse

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Wow, never heard of this issue before. I just installed my DP this past week, now I'm freaking out!

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
So I made a short video confirming that the stock downpipe mount on the FoST isn't strong enough for aftermarket. If you're getting the famous rattle issue after a DP install, here's the culprit.

This is a known problem, with solutions. Which has been discussed and documented.

One of the solutions being the Rebel Devil customs downpipe mount.

This problem is especially prominent with DP designs that eliminate the front OEM DP mount.

Having aftermarket motor mounts will help this situation by not having the motor flex as much, thus having less movement in the DP.

DP's with smaller, stiffer flex sections will cause extra strain on the OEM rear DP mount, and cause these hits as well.

Another common hit is the "legs" of the DP passing through the rear mount, then contacting the crossmember and hitting. Cutting or grinding the legs fixes this.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Well at least I know there is part available to fix this. Not that I'm looking forward to messing with the V-band clamp again!

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
Well at least I know there is part available to fix this. Not that I'm looking forward to messing with the V-band clamp again!
You dont have to, the mount unbolts and you can shimmy it off. You may have to separate the DP from the exhaust, but the Vband can stay attached. This is also dependent on whether you retained the front OEM Brillo pad mount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I should have been more clear in my verbiage and expressed that I have also been reading the forums and am also aware that this is a known issue. As stated in the video SOME may find this useful. I said "Verified" in the video, which should have been something more like "solved" (again my verbiage). This video is intended for people who are maybe on the fence about picking up a rebel devil mount. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
You dont have to, the mount unbolts and you can shimmy it off. You may have to separate the DP from the exhaust, but the Vband can stay attached. This is also dependent on whether you retained the front OEM Brillo pad mount.
Good to know! I did keep the Brillo pad DP mount. I don't have any problem dealing with that. The big question is weather I want to wait & see if the OEM mount goes bad, or do it now?

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I should have been more clear in my verbiage and expressed that I have also been reading the forums and am also aware that this is a known issue. As stated in the video SOME may find this useful. I said "Verified" in the video, which should have been something more like "solved" (again my verbiage). This video is intended for people who are maybe on the fence about picking up a rebel devil mount. Hopefully that helps reverse some of the terrible damage ive caused by talking about a known issue.
No worries on my behalf. Hell, had you not posted this, I'd have never even known about the rattle!

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
I should have been more clear in my verbiage and expressed that I have also been reading the forums and am also aware that this is a known issue. As stated in the video SOME may find this useful. I said "Verified" in the video, which should have been something more like "solved" (again my verbiage). This video is intended for people who are maybe on the fence about picking up a rebel devil mount. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.
No worries mate, if it was a problem it would have been sorted proper from another angle.

Wrench true, torque well, use antiseize. Best wishes. ;)

Reactions: NimbusST

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
Good to know! I did keep the Brillo pad DP mount. I don't have any problem dealing with that. The big question is weather I want to wait & see if the OEM mount goes bad, or do it now?
The brillo will limit the flex you could achieve while keeping the DP V-band attached. So you may be removing the brillo for the rear mount swap IF you get some rattle and clank. The v-band should still remain attached and complete, lmao

All in all, you have a healthy amount of wrench time in that area, if you did it right, used antiseize where applicable, it's always easier the second time around. (I tell myself this everytime I drop my trans, lol. 5 times already btw, I'm a glutton for punishment)

Take a deep breath, make a good post, maybe PM someone with experience. I accept PM's of well composed literate individuals ;)

Regardless, this forum will set you straight, or get you on the right path at least.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have boomba rear motor mount with rdc hanger and have vibration on initial acceleration. This never happened before with oem hanger. It was just torn. Any suggestions would help.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts