Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I was reminded of the importance of regularly replacing the cabin air filter (also, how much of a pain in the rear it is to do so). I noticed the car had been smelling a little funky lately, so I ordered a new filter (Motorcraft FP-70, $17.42 from Amazon) and swapped it in on Saturday. The old one was absolutely disgusting after about 25,000 miles:

IMG_8487.JPG

IMG_8486.JPG

·
Administrator
11,864 Posts
Last weekend I was reminded of the importance of regularly replacing the cabin air filter (also, how much of a pain in the rear it is to do so). I noticed the car had been smelling a little funky lately, so I ordered a new filter (Motorcraft FP-70, $17.42 from Amazon) and swapped it in on Saturday. The old one was absolutely disgusting after about 25,000 miles:

View attachment 256305

View attachment 256313
I will take pics of mine. When i change it.

72,000 miles. Lol

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most of the black is tire dust.. Freeway driving include being in a constant bath of ultrafine rubber dust..
Be glad it is in the filter and not your lungs..

The mold is just a byproduct. It is everywhere anyway....

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just changed the one in a 2012 Mustang I bought recently. The car has 80K miles and the filter was cruddy. Nothing like what you have there, but a lot of dust and bug pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I literally have one sitting on my tool box right now. Just been procrastinating installing it. Looks like I'll be doing that tonight.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like your video more than the 25 minute one I had b4 .....

changed mine out today and pretty sure this is the source of my morning musty smell from the a/c .... filter wasn't that dirty but was moldy a result of a hot humid part of the country I suppose

·
Registered
696 Posts
I remember seeing a thread a LONG time ago on here about replacing your cabin air filter. I seem to recal a specific brand that someone on here was (I think informally) promoting. There were data charts supporting his claim that it filtered out more than the competition. I've never replaced mine. ~35k miles.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I feel like they need to be changed only when it's full enough where you can't see the rows in the filter anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I need to change both my ST and my wife's Explorer. Got the filters sitting in my garage, but just haven't taken the time to mess with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts