Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pro's and con's of running a ride height adjustable coilover setup(think Bilstein B14, ST Suspensions STX, KW Variant 1's, H&R RSS, etc), versus running a "custom" spring and strut setup(like Koni adjustables and some sort of lowering springs like Cobb, Eibach, etc.) I have ST Suspensions STX coilovers, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love them. But I can't help but think the height adjustable feature adds some unnecessary complication to the setup seeing as I won't be changing my ride height now that it is set where I want it. I think that with the design that's required for adjustable height, it causes noise/rattle at certain road conditions. Like when I hit square edged, abrupt bumps I can hear what I think is spring rattle.

Even if my problem isn't related to the height adjustable-ness of my setup, I still want to know what the pro's and con's are between running the two different styles. I'd love to do something unique, like run some Nitron shocks and Swift springs.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, or if it's been beat to death already. I personally haven't read anything explaining this, so please, enlighten me!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There are 3 main features that will make a coilover differ over a traditional strut/spring

Adjustable height
Changing spring rates
Camber plates

Those 3 things often also add additional maintenance and NVH as you've alluded to

The Bilstein B8 and quality lowering springs, or Mountune's kit is pretty much a solid alternative to the Bilstein B14 setup. Same performance, less maintenance. But there is the advantage of running aftermarket camber plates on the B14.

I've had Koni's in previous two cars, not sure I would do it again. The adjustment is too fine IMO. a 1/8th turn would cause bounce, and overtime as they wear in, you'll have to adjust again. Since there is no detent or clicks, you end up eyeballing the adjustment too, which is annoying when you're looking for solid confirmation or just a tad neurotic personally...

Coilovers sound cool, and so many folks think they'll change ride heights.. But they probably don't. But the price has come down so much, that when presented two choices, and one is pretty near the other in price, it's one of those "why not spend a little more, for options." Which is in this case, the wrong way to choose things IMO.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you put your car on corner scales when setting up your coilivers? Some may consider it a con that you need to have access to corner scales to properly setup coilovers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not a stupid question...

Pro -- with a coil-over, YOU get to set the ride height YOU want. Even if you set it where you like it and never touch it again, so what? You got what YOU want, not what the manufacturer gives you. Something changes down the road; the weight of your car, driving preferences, wheel and tires (which can require different clearances that a spring may not afford) etc, you can adjust to suit. Not with a spring. With traditional spring/shock set up, you get what you get out of the box and hope you like it. At the extreme limits, a coil over will out perform a spring/shock/strut set up.

I agree with Mitch's comments...but you asked for pro's...and there are some.

Scales and cornering has been discussed on here and on other sites...overkill and completely and totally not necessary unless you are racing to the extreme of the vehicle. For a daily driver or the average skill level, you'll never ever ever ever know. Level the car in both directions and don't lose any sleep over it.

But darnit those mother f*(&ing new JBR coil-overs are mighty hard to ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
This!!
Is a good thread, sadly I still don't know which way to go.
Being that I have a 16, sounds like the mountune does not drop the front, which means the b14 might be the best option.
What dampers would pair up the best with swift Springs for a dd?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
I still wish that I knew what I wanted.
I only know that I do NOT want to hear any noises that are not currently being heard. In other words, NVH is not a big issue since a small increase in NHV might be expected with a suspension that is more taut. But I do not want thunks, clunks, metal on metal, or any rattles that make the car sound like a clapped out POS. I am actually rather proud of the way that the ST surprises folks when they get their first ride in it...the car is composed (at DD speeds), and feels more expensive than it is.
BUT, when I turn things up, I would like a bit more body control (flatter cornering) and would not mind some lowering to set the car apart (look better).
I will track it, but not likely more than 3-4 times a year. (Most likely 2 on average.) So do not necessarily need adjustable coilovers, but I cannot keep from eyeing the YCWs. Especially since I am very likely going to go with the LSD from them (if I can find a place to do the install nearby...).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just installed my b14s and I can't find anything about preload on these springs. My height adjuster for the front is set halfway and I barely have any preload. If I go any lower the spring would be loose. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts
I just installed my b14s and I can't find anything about preload on these springs. My height adjuster for the front is set halfway and I barely have any preload. If I go any lower the spring would be loose. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Holy crap man, you pasted this to like 10 threads, geez

Reactions: DarkSol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Holy crap man, you pasted this to like 10 threads, geez
I thought you were promoting limiting the number of new threads, is this also annoying?
My logic is that not all threads are followed by everyone, therefore more chances to get an answer.
Don't angree? Delete them(or maybe just ignore)

thanks for the quick help though

·
Administrator
11,899 Posts
I thought you were promoting limiting the number of new threads, is this also annoying?
My logic is that not all threads are followed by everyone, therefore more chances to get an answer.
Don't angree? Delete them(or maybe just ignore)

thanks for the quick help though
Its a really thorough means of ensuring you get some kind of answer. If the thread is over a year untouched though, your chances diminish as they gather more dust.

As a mod, i inspect situations like this, and it caught me off guard. It doesn't happen often.

If it was a problem, they would just get deleted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts