Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So on 10/17/15 I picked up a sports car :p

So I got my new hair-dresser mobile. I bought it from a lad named Jon for $2450 out the door. It has 83K on the clock, and not a speck of rust on it. 1992 non-LSD no options. It has never seen winter. It needs some sweet sweet lovin' and I am willing to provide. Video series coming soon. Yes, the future holds Turbo power, external wastegates, mad skids, racekor shenanigans, and engine swaps. Stay tuned for the future vehicular nonsense.

Things that are gonna need doing:
-Body work
-Get paint up to spec
-Take out the POS 1.6L

Things that are on the way:
-Moss Miata Shifter Rebuild kit
-Full set of Poly bushings
-Flyin' Miata Master Cylinder Brace

Here's the Racekor...

Ewh ****ty soft-top \/ Whatever soft-tops are for the weak

Yeah... This is gonna take some time to fix. \/

Actually clean engine bae. \/ What's that tiny thing doing in there?

There's a lot of room in there for you know... turbo things

She's a dirty girl..

Step: 1 The clean car mod. Looks good as new.

Turbo Kitty says to V8 swap it.

But Turbo Doge says LFX swap :(

More to come.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Do it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
V8 + Turbo is better swap. :)

J/K.

In the unlimited cars world where I could own one of anything I ever wanted, a Miata would have a place in it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm jelly, man. I need me a track car. The GTI is fun at the track but a compromise ultimately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
:) I promise you guys this: a new engine will be going in, and it will be more than 200cc's larger at the very least.

V8 + Turbo is better swap. :)

J/K.

In the unlimited cars world where I could own one of anything I ever wanted, a Miata would have a place in it.
:) LS1 + Turbo Mmmmmm. The amount of money I would be spending on making that chassis able to handle the power would probably double the cost of the engine build lol. The chassis is loose and dodgy right now let alone with enough torque to snap the car in half lol. I'm definitely enjoying the extra car so far.

I'm jelly, man. I need me a track car. The GTI is fun at the track but a compromise ultimately.
That's exactly right. Basically that's what it came down to. I love my GTI to death but it doesn't really make sense when you can pick up a car like this for so cheap. It's really freeing to have a car that you don't have to care about at all and that if something happens (Like you can't finish the mod that you are working on by Monday) it's no issue at all because there's another car to drive. For god sakes, it's so cheap to run too. The wheels are going to be 15x8 and you can get a full set of RS-3's mounted for $500. On my GTI with 18 inch wheels they are closer to $800+. Not to mention the parts are so cheap. If something goes wrong I can get a new engine for like $300 bucks lol.

Speaking of which I just bought a big brake kit/setup. Full NB Sport setup front and back for (wait for it)........ $200 shipped with pads, fluid, lines, calipers, caliper brackets and rotors. They will be going on this weekend. Should be MORE than enough to stop this car quickly since it only weighs about 2050 pounds and those brakes are made for a car that weighs 200-300 pounds more.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what's wrong with the car. Well I made a list:
1. Shifter needs some love. It feels way too rubbery and imprecise.
2. Clearly there is a bit of body damage
3. The speaker has some corrosion.
4. The drivers side roll up window is a bit sticky
5. The soft-top's back window is destroyed.

I had a bit of time to get a start on things.

Here's the shifter rebuild from Moss Miata ($85). It uses all oem parts to make the shifter feel new again. I used upgraded Red Line synthetic gear fluid which made a big difference imo.

Install was fairly easy. Here's what I did:

1. Removed 2 Phillips screws

2. One in the center tray

3. Two in the center console

4. Unscrew shift knob

5. Just pull up and take off the center piece

6. 4 10mm bolts

7. 3 10mm bolts

Once its off you just reinstall the new hardware. It felt GREAT after the install. Felt just like new. More to come...

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is looking very familiar to me.. Bought a 99 NB in rough shape, but great mechanical shape about a month ago for 2k.

Megasquirt is on the way, turbo is already in the garage :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is looking very familiar to me.. Bought a 99 NB in rough shape, but great mechanical shape about a month ago for 2k.

Megasquirt is on the way, turbo is already in the garage :D
Yep sounds like deja vu to me lol. My 520CC Red top RX7 injectors are on the way. Should be enough for 245whp on pump gas on a 1.8L (I hope)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's about where I'm headed.. Got some RX8 yellows for $80 from a local SCCA guy.
Nice! I love how there are such cheap options for everything. These cars are like Legos, you can take parts from a lot of different cars with no issue. P.S I got my 520CC injectors for $50 shipped and they were cleaned and flow tested before (paperwork included). Super happy about that find

·
Registered
275 Posts
My parent's neighbor (retired accountant) has one that I want to buy so badly and three rotor swap..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great build so far!

Shoutout to my ST in the background :wink:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Nice! I had a NC for a couple years. That was before kids. It was such a fun car to drive, and relatively cheap to upgrade. I seriously regret selling it. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for this little NB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts