Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #1

I have been pouring over the electrical schematics for the 2013 - 2018 focus (because I'm sick in the head) comparing the differences. I then got to thinking (my first mistake) we have so many similarities between model years with very minor changes why do we have such a difficult time identifying these items. Yes Ford supplies us with a gray scale sudo x-ray generalized location map but it is as for the most part the picture is about as clear as the days of my youth trying to watch a scrambled adult film Cinemax wondering is that a nipple or an elbow 馃.

Kinda showing my age with that one, but kids nowadays will never know the struggle we had.

So as a beginning to this lengthy process I scoured the interwebz is search for parts. I stumbled upon an engine harness for a 2018 ST that had damage to the one of the PCM connectors on ebay. After a back and forth with the seller I ended of paying the asking price because I'm an idiot. Apparently you cannot haggle more than a few times before it locks you out and forces you to pay full price. Oh well, lesson learned.

Now that I have a damaged harness and a lighter bank account I went in search for the PCM connector to make the repair to said harness. You know the one, it doesn't have a part number and Ford won't sell it to you (or a dealer) because of "liability reasons". This even after I explained that it was for educational reasons, but they were nice enough to sell me an entire harness for full MSRP. Gee thanks guys your awesome...

So this is my plan. It won't be a quick process as my goal will require an immense amount research, I believe that the end result will be worth it. I would ask that moving forward should anyone experience a failure of a sensor, wiring, module please don't throw it away unless it is obvious crushed or deformed beyond recognition.

I would like to find engine harness from 2013, and 2015. Possibly one from a 2017-18 where the PCM isn't completely destroyed. I will be searching the salvage yards for different items as the N/A focus has a lot of the same pieces as the ST trim.

With these parts I will be putting together a visual guide in a pdf format that will show components location, visual identification, connector, pin out and wiring diagram with any changes by year.

This way we can cut down on guessing or hunting through potentially thousands of posts trying to locate something. I am working with a few on the local auto parts stores that will allow me to photograph some of the sensors first hand. The last thing we need is someone complaining that we are improperly using there intellectual property.

So again if you are interested in helping out with this project and have a moment to chime in with your model year and trim options it would be awesome. We will need well lit pictures of items both installed and off the vehicle.

I would like to start at the front of the vehicle and move to the back in the order of exterior, engine bay, interior. First focusing on main components ultimately moving on to more specific areas like sync and creature features.

Again we will need original pictures only. Nothing from Google or other forums to remain legal. This will ultimately become an anatomy of our cars that the manufacturer should have created in the first place.

If you're interested please feel free to chime in with questions or ideas.

Thanks and Stay Safe!

J

I appreciate what you're doing for this forum. If i have the bumper off my 2014 anytime soon, ill try to take some good pictures of each connector to add to this.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #3
OK, starting to build out connector and sensor profiles. Managed to find a pile of random connectors from a wrecked ST on ebay. It just so happened that one of them is a PMC connector (you know the one Ford won't sell) so I will be using the to shown proper soldering techniques.

Also managed to purchase a complete battery junction box as well. I over paid for what it is but I wanted it for this project and what the hell it's only money.

Might buy the passenger side harness and main power distribution block but well see how much I can talk this guys down. Our local junk yard has also been over charging as well lately. Such is life...

Anyway, stay safe!

J

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've gone cross-eyed staring at door module operations year to year because I'm sick of reading about puddle lights. LMAO!

Ford really screwed the pooch on the trim options. I may have a way around it but it would require people to either have door modules or be willing to retrofit them in which would require a major overhaul.

I'm working on a third option but don't know how much interest it would garner.

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #8
Additional pieces should arrive on Friday afternoon.

They want way too much for the passenger side cut harness. So I will keep trying the local scrap yards.

I need a cheap hobby.馃檭

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #10
Wait I thought puddle lamps etc where all plug and play.
They are, you plug everything in and then spend the next 6 months playing around with every wire and program configuration in the f-ing vehicle 馃か.

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #12
So I have been swamped with work and home projects lately but still amassing new toys for the project.

The latest sacrifice:

Honestly can't wait to rip this thing open to see how everything comes together.

Also working on a top secret project that after I get tested will be doing a full write up on.

Stay tuned.

J

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #13
So while I finish up some of my bigger projects I figured that I would dig into this gem while I wait on some parts to arrive.

Time to put the reverse engineering hat on.

Reactions: gemery and TurboGT

Premium Member
Do you still need behind-the-bumper pics? I鈥檓 about to drop mine in a week for some shenanigans 馃槵

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #15
Anything would be great!

Thanks!

2017 Kona Blue ST1
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts