Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
2018 Focus ST1
126 Posts

· Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,706 Posts
Sweet! I still remember my first BMX. This but a yellow frame and black wheels. I went everywhere on it!
View attachment 407622

@EVH don't discount the idea of getting a dirt jump bike. They're essentially BMXs but a bit bigger..

So long as you ride it's all good!
I wanted to get a BMX with the plastic wheels, but made do with the red 16" Western flyer a long time. It probably survived the homemade ramp jumps better anyways.

Eventually I purposely ran it straight into an oak tree, I think just to see what would happen. 😊😁 The head tube welds broke, but it didn't come completely off. My dad took it to a weld shop and got it patched up.

Then I started into mountain bikes.

· Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
S&M laid-back Pivotal seat post, gel-padded seat cover, and SE Racing seat post clamp installed. Seat is more comfy with the gel cover, but still far from comfortable. Extra room from the laid-back post is nice. Still evaluating the bigger bars; I might need to go with something a bit narrower, or cut these down a little bit. Haro decals finally arrived from eBay, so I can work on the downtube graphics. The stockers are pretty boring, going for more old-school look.

· Registered
2018 Focus ST1
126 Posts
S&M laid-back Pivotal seat post, gel-padded seat cover, and SE Racing seat post clamp installed. Seat is more comfy with the gel cover, but still far from comfortable. Extra room from the laid-back post is nice. Still evaluating the bigger bars; I might need to go with something a bit narrower, or cut these down a little bit. Haro decals finally arrived from eBay, so I can work on the downtube graphics. The stockers are pretty boring, going for more old-school look.
Pictures, please, when you get a chance!

· Registered
2016 ST2, Shadow Black, E30, MonsterFMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' ShiftBushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
3,706 Posts
How does the mountain bike hold up to the tree test, in comparison?
The CrMo took a lot of abuse, never ran it into a tree though.
A couple minor wrecks.
Had to use a torch and straighten the dropout after a root nearly ripped the derailleur off on fresh singletrack.

· Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
New graphics package installed.
Old, kinda plain factory downtube graphics, blue painter's tape for alignment, bike upside down on workbench:
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel

Matte Black and Matte Metallic Blue base graphics. Lined-up pretty well with the stock graphics on the top of the downtube. Blue is a little darker than the stock graphic, but it will work.
Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Green

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Green

Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Green Tire Bicycle tire

White vinyl Haro logos. I got a sheet of assorted sizes from eBay

Green Motor vehicle Vehicle Font Automotive exterior

Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Crankset

Right-side-up and back together.

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle Tire Wheel Sports equipment Bicycle wheel

Much better. I'm really happy with the results.

· Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I recently ditched the new-style Pivotal seat and post for something MUCH more comfortable. A Cloud9 gel-padded seat with old-school rail-style attachment and adjust ability. Mounted to a micro-adjust aluminum seat post. This is a much better combo for my needs.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Photograph

I also switched-out the S&M Elevenz bars for a set of old-school, newly reintroduced GT 4-Piece handlebars. I cut these down about 3/4 of an inch on each end. I really appreciate the narrower "knee saver" shape of these, plus, they just look cool.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Vehicle

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant

Custom "Questionable Judgement" decals

Bicycle frame Green Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle

This weekend's project:
Outdoor furniture Wood Grass Hardwood Plank

Sprayed the bars and seat post gloss white for more of the late 80s freestyle vibe that I love so much. I've really been toying with the idea of going all-in on that style and picking up a set of Skyway Tuff Wheels II, in white of course. Just worried that they'll be really heavy.
As it sits today, waiting for the paint to cure, then I'll compound them to get them nice and smooth and shiny.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

I also made-up a new set of downtube graphics that flipped the colors, but I'm not sure if I'm going to install them, still experimenting.

· Registered
2018 Focus ST1
126 Posts
Project is looking really good, EVH. I'm probably a bit older than you, so more or less missed the whole BMX era, but did get into mountain biking in the late '80s and still do it. I have noticed the mountain bikers with a BMX background usually have a much better technical skillset than us guys who never rode BMX.

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,095 Posts
This is a really cool project, brings back a ton of memories. I still have, and slowly restoring my early 80’s CW Racing that I built as a kid. Ran many races with it.

Reactions: Maxeymum

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,095 Posts
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Still working on it.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts