Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my truck

I was just tired of driving it. Gas was never an issue and it was reliable-ish. I bought it new in '05 and did light exterior mods and I installed a full system in it. What did I get to replace it?

A 2001 Subaru Impreza L Sedan!! With ONLY 184k on the clock. If you know subbies then you know that is barely broken in :wink: I paid $2800 and it came with 04 WRX leather front seats and 02 rears(which I dont like). It has SS headers(UEL brumble, brumble, brumble), a tasteful Fart can:crazy: and gold paints 16" WRX wheels.

So time to get it to DD status!

The tires were dry rotted so those had to go, and pronto! I ditched the 16's and got em some sweet ass BRZ STi wheels and tires for a cool $500!

Next up was the suspension. Yea it was shot and ricer dropped, no less! Only the rear was like this. The front was dropped using drop springs, however, all of the struts were worn out.

The struts were assembled incorrectly as well. The top image is how the washer was placed incorrectly. The bottom image is how it is supposed to be installed. The reason is because the washer sits against the bearing in the strut mounts allowing the strut to freely spin during a turn.

I replaced all four springs with some sweet ass free 99 2.5RS springs and brand new KYB Excel-G struts(not pictured)

Looking better!!

During the strut install I also replaced both front CV's and I will need to eventualy replace the rear given the mileage(I have the rears sitting in the garage). Of course the car has CV grease all over the damn place:furious:

This is bad!!!

This is good.

I am gonna paint the calipers Brembo Gold tomorrow morning. I did my bro-in-law's on his 2014 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you got bored waiting for your engine to be built! lol
Kinda sorta lol. I also ordered some Mini D2S projectors and Motocontrol H4 Harness, and butyl seal strip for a retrofit.

I kinda want to do an EJ207 V7 swap but I don't have that kind of free time.

it's an auto and will stay that way even if it get swapped. I would like to get this car to around 280awhpz!!!

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got the projectors in. Mini D2S 3.0 X Lens. Scored these for $50 shipped. Just need the Motocontrol H4 harness and Butyl I ordered from TRS and I can get to retro'ing the head lights. I am gonna use 6k 35w D2S until I get tired of the color. I will likely mod the Mini D2S 3.0 a bit. Supposedly there is a spot on the lower cutoff that is missing the flicker and needs to be ground down.

I also got a sweet dual cup holder from a salvaged '00 Forester. Impreza's only come with a single in the dash and a single in the arm rest cubby.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Soooooo at this rate are you thinking BT by next month? :wink:

With initial investment it will be cool to see the final total investment with longevity updates.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooooo at this rate are you thinking BT by next month? :wink:

With initial investment it will be cool to see the final total investment with longevity updates.
it would be a complete engine swap. JDM EJ207 V7 or ej205 like this JDM 02 05 Subaru Impreza WRX EJ205 2 0L DOHC Turbo Engine EJ20 | eBay

How's the head gasket? You replacing it too? I agree they are great cars but that era the 2.5l had issues with that.
EJ222 :wink: best engine they made!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
So I sold my truck

I was just tired of driving it. Gas was never an issue and it was reliable-ish. I bought it new in '05 and did light exterior mods and I installed a full system in it. What did I get to replace it?

A 2001 Subaru Impreza L Sedan!! With ONLY 184k on the clock. If you know subbies then you know that is barely broken in :wink: I paid $2800 and it came with 04 WRX leather front seats and 02 rears(which I dont like). It has SS headers(UEL brumble, brumble, brumble), a tasteful Fart can:crazy: and gold paints 16" WRX wheels.

So time to get it to DD status!

The tires were dry rotted so those had to go, and pronto! I ditched the 16's and got em some sweet ass BRZ STi wheels and tires for a cool $500!

Next up was the suspension. Yea it was shot and ricer dropped, no less! Only the rear was like this. The front was dropped using drop springs, however, all of the struts were worn out.

The struts were assembled incorrectly as well. The top image is how the washer was placed incorrectly. The bottom image is how it is supposed to be installed. The reason is because the washer sits against the bearing in the strut mounts allowing the strut to freely spin during a turn.

I replaced all four springs with some sweet ass free 99 2.5RS springs and brand new KYB Excel-G struts(not pictured)

Looking better!!

During the strut install I also replaced both front CV's and I will need to eventualy replace the rear given the mileage(I have the rears sitting in the garage). Of course the car has CV grease all over the damn place:furious:

This is bad!!!

This is good.

I am gonna paint the calipers Brembo Gold tomorrow morning. I did my bro-in-law's on his 2014 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab.

I wish I lived in a place where I could buy a used car that wasnt half rust

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I lived in a place where I could buy a used car that wasnt half rust
I wish I could trailer all of the abandoned Subarus up north back to Texas. Kinda want to open a Subaru junk yard here

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Never say never.

It'll just happen.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wrapped up my retrofit last night! I still haven't decided on a shroud or if i am gonna paint the projector. I painted the reflectors flat black.

2001 Impreza OEM Headlights with Glass housings
Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 X-Lens
Morimoto XB35 D2S 6000k bulbs
Morimoto XB35 Ballast
Morimoto Motocontrol H4 harness
Morimoto D2S Ballast Adapter

Safety First!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts