Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ill update you guys on a build that i have been working on since i was about 14. It is my 1974 Ford Mustang II coupe. It is equipped with a carb'd 2.3L and a 4 spd manual

When i got the car it had been hit while parked on the side of the road, so it had pretty bad damage to the front end and a large dent in the rear quarter panel.
For the first few summers that i owned the car i saved money to buy new panels and bumpers, and did quite a lot of bodywork.

Here are a few pics of the car in its early stages (excuses the low quality pictures, i was 14 with a flip phone).
1211091636.jpg 1211091636a.jpg downsize_2.jpg

After getting the body work my uncle was kind enough to do a near professional paint job for me. We built a make shift paint booth in his garage.
0504131550.jpg

The one thing i really disliked about this car, aside from the fact that it is slower than any car that i have ever driven, are the hideous wheels. So i replaced them with some better looking 15x6.5s which also allowed me to move up from the stock 175/70/13 tires to a slightly more sticky 205/55/15.
0310141735-1.jpg

And this is where i stopped for a while, and just enjoyed driving the car. But soon enough i had the itch for more power. 88 bhp just isnt enough not even in the case of a street bike. So I did some research and found this motor.
IMG_20150207_210735.jpg

I know it doesnt look like much, but this is a 2.3L Fuel injected Turbo motor from an 85 Mustang SVO. It is based on the same block as my original 2.3 and shares many of the same parts. But the big difference. . . this motor puts out around 200hp in stock form. With slight mods i should have it between 250-300hp by the time its ready to be put in the car.

After getting the motor home it needed to be rebuilt, as it had ~100k on it. This started as a simple "ohh we can just break it down and replace all the seals and it should be good to go", I was wrong, very wrong. After breaking into the motor we found that the cam bearings were shot, a few valves were burnt, and it had a cracked exhaust valve seat. So the head went to the machine shop for a full rebuild, in the meantime i decided to go all the way with the rebuild, including new crank and rod bearings.
12501744_953518991409165_1967550490_n.jpg 20150321_170834.jpg 20150405_154249.jpg

This brings me to where im at currently with the build, the motor is back together, but it still needs a lot of small things before it will be ready to go back in the car.
But since i bought my ST I have honestly lost quite a bit of motivation to work on the car. The ST is everything that i wanted the Mustang to be, a fast, turbo four cylinder, with amazing handling. With one exception . . . i would love to have all of this in a RWD package to go along with the FWD beast that is the ST.

Thank you guys for checking out the build, i will do my best to keep this updated as i do more to the mustang. And hopefully soon enough ill toss up a link to the motor running in the car.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Man that car looks like it's been through hell. What's the plan? Rebuild to original specs or going to make it fancy? I can't wait until I have extra time/space/money to build some classic muscle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
So ill update you guys on a build that i have been working on since i was about 14. It is my 1974 Ford Mustang II coupe. It is equipped with a carb'd 2.3L and a 4 spd manual

When i got the car it had been hit while parked on the side of the road, so it had pretty bad damage to the front end and a large dent in the rear quarter panel.
For the first few summers that i owned the car i saved money to buy new panels and bumpers, and did quite a lot of bodywork.

Here are a few pics of the car in its early stages (excuses the low quality pictures, i was 14 with a flip phone).
View attachment 132387 View attachment 132388 View attachment 132389

After getting the body work my uncle was kind enough to do a near professional paint job for me. We built a make shift paint booth in his garage.
View attachment 132386

The one thing i really disliked about this car, aside from the fact that it is slower than any car that i have ever driven, are the hideous wheels. So i replaced them with some better looking 15x6.5s which also allowed me to move up from the stock 175/70/13 tires to a slightly more sticky 205/55/15.
View attachment 132393

And this is where i stopped for a while, and just enjoyed driving the car. But soon enough i had the itch for more power. 88 bhp just isnt enough not even in the case of a street bike. So I did some research and found this motor.
View attachment 132394

I know it doesnt look like much, but this is a 2.3L Fuel injected Turbo motor from an 85 Mustang SVO. It is based on the same block as my original 2.3 and shares many of the same parts. But the big difference. . . this motor puts out around 200hp in stock form. With slight mods i should have it between 250-300hp by the time its ready to be put in the car.

After getting the motor home it needed to be rebuilt, as it had ~100k on it. This started as a simple "ohh we can just break it down and replace all the seals and it should be good to go", I was wrong, very wrong. After breaking into the motor we found that the cam bearings were shot, a few valves were burnt, and it had a cracked exhaust valve seat. So the head went to the machine shop for a full rebuild, in the meantime i decided to go all the way with the rebuild, including new crank and rod bearings.
View attachment 132390 View attachment 132391 View attachment 132392

This brings me to where im at currently with the build, the motor is back together, but it still needs a lot of small things before it will be ready to go back in the car.
But since i bought my ST I have honestly lost quite a bit of motivation to work on the car. The ST is everything that i wanted the Mustang to be, a fast, turbo four cylinder, with amazing handling. With one exception . . . i would love to have all of this in a RWD package to go along with the FWD beast that is the ST.

Thank you guys for checking out the build, i will do my best to keep this updated as i do more to the mustang. And hopefully soon enough ill toss up a link to the motor running in the car.
I will say something I have never said about this era of mustang. That is a damn good looker man. I would keep building it just out of pride.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that car looks like it's been through hell. What's the plan? Rebuild to original specs or going to make it fancy? I can't wait until I have extra time/space/money to build some classic muscle.
My end goal is to make this 2.3 turbo insanely built, these motors have been known to hold up to 1000hp. I will be conservative at around 400-500hp.

There is no way i would ever take this car back to original specs, id honestly most likely sell it and buy a prius at that point. In stock form this car is just WAY to slow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool little build! Not my favorite style of stang to say the least, but it's a neat project! Keep it up, and keep us updated!
Yeah i can say with out a doubt that this is most peoples least favorite mustang. Even ford didnt really consider it a mustang, hence the II after its name. But hopefully when its done it will give the V8 guys a run for their money. And yes i will try my best to keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Darkdayz23
Without out a doubt i will keep building it. It is just tough to spend money on this when i want so much for the ST. But i will agree with you on the looks, this car surprisingly breaks quite a few necks. When i did drive i was always asked a ton of questions about it when i was stopped for gas.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Darkdayz23
Without out a doubt i will keep building it. It is just tough to spend money on this when i want so much for the ST. But i will agree with you on the looks, this car surprisingly breaks quite a few necks. When i did drive i was always asked a ton of questions about it when i was stopped for gas.
Looks like i may have to make a road trip for a paint job xD jk, but it is some great work he did and would love that blue over the Race Red I currently have.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like i may have to make a road trip for a paint job xD jk, but it is some great work he did and would love that blue over the Race Red I currently have.
Thank you, the best thing about it is that its just cheap Summit Racing paint, less than $100/gal

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, i guess its time for me to go get some paint and a gun. Maybe some youtube videos. With the stripes, painted or vinyl?
Its honestly not that hard from what he was saying, just a cheap harbor freight gun and a lot of prep work. The stripes are painted on.

https://www.youtube.com/user/completelymustang

I have some videos of the build up on this channel, excuse the quality, most of the videos were made like 5 years ago with windows movie maker lol.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a couple SVO's, they can easily be made to embarrass some V8s, well definitely 20-30 years ago lol
Yeah my plan in the long run is to go to an esslinger aluminum head, center mount exhaust manifold, hx35 turbo, ported and polished intake, and a large FMIC. In the short term id like to get the motor running stock and then probably throw a front mount on and up the boost a bit. But like you said these motors can easily embarrass 70s and 80s V8s, which is honestly not that hard considering they put out like 50-60hp/liter.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah my plan in the long run is to go to an esslinger aluminum head, center mount exhaust manifold, hx35 turbo, ported and polished intake, and a large FMIC. In the short term id like to get the motor running stock and then probably throw a front mount on and up the boost a bit. But like you said these motors can easily embarrass 70s and 80s V8s, which is honestly not that hard considering they put out like 50-60hp/liter.
Sound like a good plan! Don't forget to up the fuel supply. I had 84, 85 and a 85.5. Total one in the rain being a stupid kid. They would easily hang or beat with V8s in the late 80s early 90s, then superchargers got popular. SVOs would laso put the GTs to shame in the handling department.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sound like a good plan! Don't forget to up the fuel supply. I had 84, 85 and a 85.5. Total one in the rain being a stupid kid. They would easily hang or beat with V8s in the late 80s early 90s, then superchargers got popular. SVOs would laso put the GTs to shame in the handling department.
Fuel supply is mostly taken care of right now. Walbro 255 pump and 35lb injectors, i will most likely move up to bigger injectors at some point.

That brings up another thing that i have to work on with this car, the suspension. Worn out 40 year old suspension doesnt handle very well. Id like to transition over to coil overs at some point. Dont know what to do about the outdated solid rear axle/ leafspring setup.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update for anyone who is following this build. Over the weekend we pulled the transmission from the car to get it cleaned up and bolted to the engine. Trouble kinda struck when we realized that I bought the wrong clutch. Apparently my car came with two different transmissions and two different clutches. I purchased a clutch with a 10 spline input. . . and the transmission is a 23 spline. For some reason the guy at the parts store wouldnt give me my money back for a clutch that sat on a shelf for about a year, with no receipt. Ohh well, new clutch was ordered today. Next weekend we will hopefully be putting the motor in, then i need to do some electrical magic with the wiring harness and plumb up some fuel lines. 14547573_1826196910927140_5651062645155954688_n.jpg
Project Boosted Two is nearing a big milestone:cool2:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts