Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have started a thread earlier to share my ST's journey of modifications but I never did. So here we go!

My story:

I pre-ordered the ST3 about a week after Ford announced that they were taking pre-orders. I have a '12 Focus SE hatchback that I absolutely love but I just wanted more. My intentions for purchasing the ST was to have a great weekend driver, but also a project car that I could hopefully take to the track. I've always liked the look of blacked-out cars, so most of the appearance modifications will be geared more towards attaining the black-out look. The majority of my modifications are performance mods however; most of the money that I have spent and will spend on this car will be for performance.

So far I've done the following:

Cobb AP w/ with the latest Stage 3 map
Cobb Intake
Cobb Intercooler (2nd hardest install, had trouble finding cobalt bits to drill with)
CP-E catless downpipe
FSWERKS 3" exhaust (with the tips painted flat black)
JBR 88a rear motor mount
Turbo Tech Racing passenger side motor mount
Cobb Front Swaybar (hardest mod done so far)
Steeda Rear Swaybar
18x8" Sparco Assetto Garas (black, with the center cap nite-shaded)
Steeda Short-Throw Shifter kit
RokBlokz mudflaps
Redline hood struts
WC Lathe 1lb shift knob (with grooves cut all over)
20% tint all around

The above mods ended up costing me $5,120 not including shipping.

My plans for the future:
Oil catch can (sitting here awaiting installation)
Solid shifter bushings (sitting here awaiting installation)
Color all the leather stitching black (on-going modification)
Use black vinyl to cover up some of the interior pieces
Nite-shade the front/rear "Ford" emblems, and tail lights
Bigger turbo
Better clutch
Wider wheels and tires
Coilovers

Here's some pictures of my car:

From now on I will keep this thread updated with everything I do to my car.

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
LSD install

Some of you may know, I've had a Quaife LSD sitting here waiting for the weather to warm/clear up so I can begin the installation. I do not have a garage, so I will be doing all the work on my concrete driveway. Today I decided I would begin working on the LSD install. I only had less than one hour of light, so I decided I would remove some of the top side components to make way for the removal of the transmission. I removed the airbox and battery tray. Here's a quick picture of them both removed:

Tomorrow I will be removing the cowl panel and also jacking the car up and removing the intercooler piping and rear motor mount.

I will be trying my best to document the install as much as possible. I will be working on it every day this week before I go to work. I should have about two hours a day to work on it.

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

·
Registered
878 Posts
About time you made a build thread. Absolutely love your car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I request more pics! Document more of your progress too. I'm sure all the folks here would agree. ;)

Overall, mucho slick ride!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LSD install: Day 2

Today I ran into a slight problem. I was about to jack my car up and realized that I forgot to take my 4-way lug nut bar out from my hatch. No power, no open. So I decided I would take a trip to Lowes to purchase a 1/2" torque wrench which I was planning on buying anyways, and also a 13/16" socket to take off my locking gorilla lug nuts.

Today I removed:
gear position sensor
transmission ground wire
shifter linkage
battery/airbox mounting bracket
starter motor
intercooler piping (warm side piping only)

Pictures of the starter:

On:

Off:

Picture of the driver side:

You can see the driver's side transmission mount now that the airbox/battery tray bracket has been removed. The shifter linkage is currently sitting on it.

Work planned for tomorrow:
Remove rear motor mount
Drain transmission oil
Remove left hand half-shaft

So far the hardest part of pulling the transmission looks like it will be removing the half-shafts. I always have this right here to keep me motivated though:

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Good luck. Looking forward to more progress. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
subscribed - this is the one mod I do want.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So nice.
I think your car just might be the most highly modded privately owned ST on the planet right now.
The fact you have and are doing this all yourself, without a garage or a lift is seriously impressive.

I can't even figure out how to change the wipers let alone anything more complicated.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LSD install: Day 3 & 4

Day 3:
I didn't get a whole lot done. I drained the transmission fluid, removed rear motor mount, and I had to go buy a good crowbar to pry the LH lower arm off of the knuckle. It was pretty tricky to get it off. I smashed my elbow directly into the concrete driveway once. My forearm went partially numb for a couple minutes :D. I finally got it off after a good 20-30 minutes of trying to carefully get it off so I wouldn't damage the ball-joint. I eventually resorted to a more forceful approach of just rapidly moving the lower arm up and down. Eventually the ball joint got separated from the knuckle.

Day 4:
Good progress today. I went to the local autoparts store and got a hub puller through their loaner program. It was pretty quick getting the half-shaft separated from the hub.

Pulling the LH half-shaft from the transmission was pretty easy. I couldn't pull it straight out by hand but I managed to use a small crowbar *very* carefully to pull it out. Took maybe 5 minutes.

For the RH half shaft it was also pretty easy. No need to fool around with the hub, just had to separate the lower arm from the knuckle, and then remove two nuts from the bracket that holds the shaft bearing. After that, I was able to pull the shaft from the transmission by hand. No issues. I had to tie the shaft off so that the CV joints wouldn't bend past their intended design. Ford says not to allow the inner joint to bend past 18° and the outer joint past 45° or damage will occur.

Pulled the brake fluid line from the slave cylinder.

Engine support bar hooked up and ready to go.

Hammered the bearings onto the (cold and frosty) differential. Drying the differential off now.

I had one of my co-workers with too much time on his hands machine this so I could safely hammer the bearings on:

Measurements for the lip are: 41mm for the inner part, and 46.5mm for the outer part. I had this machined so that I could hammer it on without damaging the plastic bearing retainer. The bearing is also pressed onto the differential shaft to the point where the shaft protrudes slightly out past the bearing, so that's why I had the inner section machined out.

Planned for tomorrow:
Pull the transmission out. There's nothing left for me to remove/disconnect except the bolts on the bell-housing and the transmission mount.
Break transmission apart, if I have enough time.

Final picture. This is what the inside of my baby looks like:

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

·
Registered
921 Posts
Almost to the exciting g part!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nice work! So your gonna tear into the trans and install the diff yourself? If so, that's pretty cool I wouldn't have the balls to do that...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work! So your gonna tear into the trans and install the diff yourself? If so, that's pretty cool I wouldn't have the balls to do that...
Yes sir! The process isn't too bad, you just need the correct tools and enough time. Having a shop manual helps too ;D.

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update for those who are wondering what's going on:

Friday and today was a complete no-go for working on the car. It's been slowly raining since early Friday morning. It looks like tomorrow the rain will start clearing up and I shouldn't have to deal with any rain until Thursday, which should be plenty of time to get everything put back together.

Speaking of putting everything back together... I really wish there was a lightweight flywheel out for the ST. Spec clutches has clutches from stage 1 to stage 5 but no flywheels yet. I really want to do both the flywheel and clutch at the same time. Looks like I'll be getting plenty of practice on pulling the transmission :RockOn:

Have fun and drive safe,
-Ocysp

1 - 20 of 293 Posts