Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our way to my son's viola lesson, I realized I left the check for his instructor at home. Luckily I'm only a couple hundred yards down the road and I've got time to spare. I pull off to the side of the road, intending to turn around in the intersection (residential, very little traffic) after the Prius behind me passes by. We come to a stop, and two or three seconds later.... WHAM!

2090.JPG 2089.JPG

Snow/Ice/Sunglare were not factors, so the only thing I can think of is that the guy was either on his cell phone or fell asleep at the wheel.

What are the chances they'll fix vs. total my ST? Note that I found the driver rear spring in the middle of the intersection after the incident and the rear door won't open.

·
Registered
76 Posts
100% fix. No where close to totaled is my educated guess (numerous insurance claims on a previous Acura RSX).

·
Registered
704 Posts
Pay attention to any possible pain and record the times as exact as possible. Insurance companies are scum of the earth and will try to weasel out of anything they can, even the basic settlement their customers pay them to handle (rear ended twice—clearly other parties at fault and neither even tried to deny it, but due to one particular POS insurance company that I hope the CEO of dies of cancer of the **** after they amputate in an attempt to save him, it took over 6 months with a lawyer to see a fair settlement on the car in spite of a back injury that had me barely sleeping for over a year).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Totaled beyond a doubt. Given the displacement of the rear suspension and jammed door, you have significant frame damage. Since it's a 2013 or 2014 model, about $10k in damage will total it. I think it will easily reach that level. My $.02 worth, and not worth that much.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Totaled beyond a doubt. Given the displacement of the rear suspension and jammed door, you have significant frame damage. Since it's a 2013 or 2014 model, about $10k in damage will total it. I think it will easily reach that level. My $.02 worth, and not worth that much.
Thanks for the opinions. It's a tough call... my truck took a very (spookily) similar hit four years ago while parked in front of our house (the blue ST replaced the blue Dakota). According to the adjuster, it was an "on the fence" decision for them. They totaled it eventually.

Compared to the truck, the ST has far fewer miles on it and is/was much newer than the truck (105k vs 15k ; 1998 vs 2014), so Andy may be right with his "fix it" call. But the frame/door issue makes me wonder. Fortunately it is a "fourthcar", and not needed for a DD regularly. I can drive the '98 Civic until this is figured out. Queue dramatic music...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The rear door not opening would be my concern. Have you checked out the suspension on that corner?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone was OK in the crash, though the guy who hit us was quite shaken and I was concerned for a bit. A neighbor (and first responder) witnessed the incident and was very helpful in calling police, etc. No signs of whiplash yet, but we'll see upon the wake-up tomorrow. I just recall my 12 year old hollering "What the HECK is going ON?!?" in a weirdly funny way.

Regarding the suspension, it's shot. The spring got knocked out and can be seen at the right side of pic #2 above (look closely, it's on the curb). Another "Uh-oh". Updates to come...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'm with Shadow...I know this was a few days ago now, but I'm curious to know the outcome?

I see the tail light has a little tiny piece broken off...it'll be replaced.

So,
Rear bumper
Rear Driver's Fender
Tail light
Entire Rear Drivers side Door
Wheel
Tire
Any suspension damage at all? The wheel doesn't look properly aligned in these pictures which tells me something might be bent..

The door, fender, and rear bumper alone will cost over $8000 easily for parts,paint, and labor; and that's low balling it. The tail light is probably $300 or so I'd guess. My driver's side fender replacement with PB paint was $1440 with labor...so lets be honest the much larger rear fender and the big bumper and a DOOR will cost a lot more. Add in a wheel, a tire, and any suspension problems at all...it's totaled. It only needs to be 80% of car value..and our values are approaching $10,000-14,000 now a day. It'll be close, but I'll lean on totaled if it touched suspension at all.

Edit: **Totally missed your last update...yeah suspension damage...it's going to be totaled, that's my bet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Adjuster estimates $7551 for repairs. However, it hasn't gone up on a lift yet & he didn't include anything on the underside (e.g. suspension) except a stabilizer link. I strongly suspect the price is going to go up (and UP)!

According to KBB's website, the car is work $12~13k. (2014, good condition, 15,800 miles).

Let's see what they learn when they put it up on a lift...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Update:

Adjuster estimates $7551 for repairs. However, it hasn't gone up on a lift yet & he didn't include anything on the underside (e.g. suspension) except a stabilizer link. I strongly suspect the price is going to go up (and UP)!

According to KBB's website, the car is work $12~13k. (2014, good condition, 15,800 miles).

By that KBB value estimate, I set it to 12.5k and that means you need exactly $10,000 in damages to total. UNLESS the insurance low-balls your cars value. Also...see where they are having it repaired at. Make sure it isn't a cheap shady place lol. I'd have guessed it would have broken 8k based on Ford's labor costs.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Update:

yeah that will total I bet by the time they get under the car :(
PB is my favorite color ST. Sorry about your loss.

You should upgrade to an RS if you want to keep with the platform :p
or find another PB!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I think this will end as a total loss as well. I work in the claims area for a large property and casualty insurer. Though I'm not a PD adjuster, I have some experience. Don't let the Insurance Company strong arm you. Take it to a place you trust and have it completely, gone through.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I think this will end as a total loss as well. I work in the claims area for a large property and casualty insurer. Though I'm not a PD adjuster, I have some experience. Don't let the Insurance Company strong arm you. Take it to a place you trust and have it completely, gone through.
At nearly 8 grand before looking at suspension...plus with suspension being such a big liability if you "fix it," it'll be a hard one not to total

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ding-ding-ding, we have a decision.

They put her up on a lift and tore her apart. The $7551 of the original estimate just ballooned to $17,973!

She's a goner. :(

I knew that estimate would be going up significantly, but I didn't imagine that it would go quite that high. The good news is that they're willing to settle at a good valuation. More on that later.

Time to start shopping... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry it turned out a total. Upside is you are ok and they are providing a good settlement value. Having lost 2 cars and a bike in the flood, I feel your pain. Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry it turned out a total. Upside is you are ok and they are providing a good settlement value. Having lost 2 cars and a bike in the flood, I feel your pain. Good luck!
Glad for him it was a total. When I saw those first pictures my first thought was "no way would I want that car back."
Quarterpanels on a unibody car skyrocket like OP did from what I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

They put her up on a lift and tore her apart. The $7551 of the original estimate just ballooned to $17,973!

I knew that estimate would be going up significantly, but I didn't imagine that it would go quite that high. The good news is that they're willing to settle at a good valuation. More on that later.

GOOD GOD lol they took my initial estimate and undershot it slightly and then they skyrocketed it outrageously. I bet you they changed dealerships and found frame or serious full body suspension problems. There is no way otherwise that it added over 10,000 dollars other than replacing the entire suspension or frame or something lol. Or they heavily miscalculated things initially.

Edit: All seriousness though, it's better for it to have been totaled my man. No way would I want that car again in the future or wish to put my family in it after all that mess. Give me a new one :) Best of luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad for him it was a total. When I saw those first pictures my first thought was "no way would I want that car back."
Quarterpanels on a unibody car skyrocket like OP did from what I've seen.
Yes I'll miss her, but glad for the total. My biggest concern was that they'd fix her and everything would be fine daily driving, but then everything falls apart at 120 mph on track. Boy, would THAT be bad!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Soooo...What's next?! Another ST? RS? What're you on the market for?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts