Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 Focus ST I was on my way home and got the Dreaded Flashing engine light, Hesitation, loss of power, and a puffing sound on the exhaust puff puff puff puff
Cars Stock as far as I know
Getting P0008a Fuel System pressure Low too low
Misfire Cylinder 1-4 (Cleared codes but only 4 returned with the other)
I was thinking it was the High pressure fuel pump for the DI but that puff puff puff exhaust note has me scared its a dead cylinder any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,348 Posts
Time for a compression test.

Also, What was the fuel level?

·
Premium Member
963 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its wierd I tried to start it a hour later and it idled and drove better but after driving little bit starts jerking trying to maintain RPM. I'm guessing your meaning Fuel pressure, well ill have to double check my accessport but it said fuel pressure desired 80 but the Fuel pressure raw it was bouncing from 0-80 randomly very quickly

·
Super Moderator
5,348 Posts
No i meant what i said, fuel level. If you had a low fuel level and happened to do a pull or accelerate off a cloverleaf onramp, etc. You would have starved the engine for fuel which would have set the p0008a. And consequently leaned a cylinder out causing piston failure.

Stop driving the car and do a compression test.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
536 Posts
Is there a Schrader valve on these cars to get an actual gauge to see what the fuel pressure is?

·
Super Moderator
5,348 Posts
Is there a Schrader valve on these cars to get an actual gauge to see what the fuel pressure is?
No but theres a redundant system. With key-on engine off, you compare lowside fuel pressure to fuel rail pressure and theyll both read lowside fuel pressure equally.

But Again, depending what your fuel level was, you starve the engine of fuel then of course youll set a low pressure code

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out was a blown headgasket possibly roached valve as well. Had no compression in cylinder 4, also Noticed it was blowing very fuel rich vapors out the exhaust had to checked luckilly i had 24 hours left to return it. Wierd thing is until u drive it car will idle fine until its warmed up. One odd thing that did stick out weirdly was my Oil pressure gage was pegging max at idle, maybe something clogged up

·
Super Moderator
5,348 Posts
Typically these engines crack pistons.

If you got on the throttle and got into boost at low RPMs or in 5th or 6th gear, its very likely you caused this condition on your way home.

Im telling you this in case you buy another one of these cars, which will suffer the same fate if you drive it the same way. The condition is LSPi and theres a few good threads on this site regarding what it is, etc that i recommend reading.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Turns out was a blown headgasket possibly roached valve as well. Had no compression in cylinder 4, also Noticed it was blowing very fuel rich vapors out the exhaust had to checked luckilly i had 24 hours left to return it. Wierd thing is until u drive it car will idle fine until its warmed up. One odd thing that did stick out weirdly was my Oil pressure gage was pegging max at idle, maybe something clogged up
bummer but at least you were still able to return. many others not so lucky. go find an st that has been treated better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah It had some Ricer specials pretty sure it was ran hard.
TurboGT I ran 91 or higher and never lugged it in high gear apparently it had a failing high pressure pump weirdly it didn't threw a light.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
536 Posts
So now you are looking for another FoST?
I am currently looking for a FiST for my daughter. The prices are nuts right now. Seems like everyone wants top dollar for their 5-6 year old cars.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, GFB DVX+ BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings, PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,922 Posts
Well there's just not many choices for a 6MT, even before the pandemic.
I probably would have stuck with Mazda, but manual only in top trim, no turbo speed or AWD versions with MT, no CD player.

So I got what I valued most in the ST, way less than a new car.

BTW, the local Mazda lot is nearly empty. I wonder if they've reduced hours etc.

Kia lot probably has the most cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts