Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, here my long short story of what happened a few days ago with a tune install. So, I was tuning my car with the Cobb accessport V3 with a stratified tune, its started the instalation fine, it proceeded to save the factory ecu data, then started installing the tune in the car, after it reached 100% instead of the dash coming back to life and telling me to turn the car off for 15 second on the accessport, dash stayed dead (nothing appened when pressing the start/stop button its was just saying no ford mykey detected) and AP was showing an error of no communication with the ECU, so I was sure I bricked the computer, but after a minute or two, the dash came back to life and I checked in the accessport and the tune was succefully installed.

Ive read similar issues on the forum (but its dated from 2014 and firmware changed alot since then) but from what ive read, the dash actually came back to life right after the tune, its didnt take a minute or two before the dash came back to life like me.

So now im scared to detune or change my tune in my car if I need to, and was wondering, is that normal ?? does this happened to anyone else ? because its has me super scared haha, please help me out on that! if cobb could lets me a response in here its would be super appreciated

(BTW, yes my APV3 is on the latest Firmware and my car was on a batterie charger when installing the tune)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you didn't open/close the doors while doing this did you?
nope, door was open BUT i closed the door latch manually so its would think that the door was closed, every light inside was off, climate off, radio off, and I never touched anything during install.

·
Registered
219 Posts
nope, door was open BUT i closed the door latch manually so its would think that the door was closed, every light inside was off, climate off, radio off, and I never touched anything during install.
You held the door switch closed the entire time? Anyways just sit in the car and reload the tune and see what happens. It takes less than 3 minutes.

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you buy the AP new or used? If used, it's a tune you purchased and not one that came from another car right?

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the accessport used from a friend that only had cobb ots tune in there I actually bought the tune from stratified exactly for my car with my mods list done to the car and everything

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought the accessport used from a friend that only had cobb ots tune in there I actually bought the tune from stratified exactly for my car with my mods list done to the car and everything
I'd reflash and see if it does it again. If it does, then talk to stratified, if not that something erroneous may have happened when you flashed the first time

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that the problem haha im scared to brick my computer if I try again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, this never happened to anyone ??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So, this never happened to anyone ??
I think you have nothing to worry about.

Flashing the car means deploying the Cobb firmware to the Ford PCM, replacing the Ford firmware.

Each time you flash and there is a different firmware on the AP than that in the PCM, the flash can take a long time. It's best to do it sitting in the car with the doors closed, no fans, radio etc. on and a battery charger connected (as you did).

It will stay at 100% for a long time because the AP is verifying the firmware it just installed; the 100% is for the transfer of the firmware from the AP to the PCM, not for the verification part.

When you flash and the firmware in the PCM and in the AP are the same, then the flash process is very fast.

I would recommend reflashing the Stratified tune you bought for your car to confirm, but do it during a weekday during normal business hours so if there is a problem, you can get Cobb Support on the phone to help you.

All the best,
Mark

Reactions: mcflyin619

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something similar happened with the Cobb AP on my Dad's BMW 335xi, turned out to be a car battery at the end of it's life.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea its not my battery because I replaced it right before that, its was brand new and on a charger, and btw i never said its stayed at 100% for a long time, at the end after it hit 100%, dash just never came back to life and the cobb accessport was saying no communication with ecu and to turn the key on which I did try but car was dead its wasnt responding to anything, that when I began to wait and the dash came back to life after like a minute or so with the tune installed, I just wonder why its said no communication and took over a minute to come back :/

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yea its not my battery because I replaced it right before that, its was brand new and on a charger, and btw i never said its stayed at 100% for a long time, at the end after it hit 100%, dash just never came back to life and the cobb accessport was saying no communication with ecu and to turn the key on which I did try but car was dead its wasnt responding to anything, that when I began to wait and the dash came back to life after like a minute or so with the tune installed, I just wonder why its said no communication and took over a minute to come back :/
Sorry I misunderstood.

I would contact Cobb directly and ask them what they think you should do.

All the best,
Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts