Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Update*** - Fogs are in. I said f**k it, pulled the PCM box, placed the light, replaced the bolt that I could, and zip tie the other bolt that wouldn't reach. (not necessary, but just some insurance). Anyone able to get all bolts back in?

I purchased the @Diode Dynamics XML2 LED fogs after speaking with a rep, assuring me they'd fit...

Passenger side: Went in no problem, just remove 2 screws, peel the wheel back, pull the bulb and swap.

Driver side: The XML2 bulbs require an extra 2" behind the fog light for the heatsink. The problem is, the PCM housing is about an inch or so away from the back of the fog light. I haven't put it up on jack stands yet to remove the wheel and unbolt the housing and attempt to squeeze it in (as I would have in my younger days).

There seems to be maybe an inch or so - I don't see 2" extra without the back of the heatsink pushing on the back of the housing. I'm concerned about how hot it gets (the passenger side was quite hot after running for maybe 1 minute).

Is it possible for the heatsink to melt/burn into the plastic housing it's pushing up against?

IF I can even get it in, would the pressure pushing on the light/PCM mess anything up?

Pics, best I could get:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Product wise: Initial impressions... Seemingly solid build quality, very bright. The fans are very loud though...

I'll try and get another side-by-side comparison tonight until we figure this PCM issue out...

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

·
Registered
558 Posts
It is possible to get all the PCM bolts back in. IIRC, I loosened the 3rd bolt and played with the slop in the bolt holes until I got all 3 back in. The PCM housing is definitely pressing against the back of the bulb. I've checked for melting plastic when I'm under there changing my oil and so far I haven't seen any heat issues, but I rarely use my fog lights since we don't get much fog where I live.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible to get all the PCM bolts back in. IIRC, I loosened the 3rd bolt and played with the slop in the bolt holes until I got all 3 back in. The PCM housing is definitely pressing against the back of the bulb. I've checked for melting plastic when I'm under there changing my oil and so far I haven't seen any heat issues, but I rarely use my fog lights since we don't get much fog where I live.
Thanks! That makes me feel better.

I did notice last night after installing the driver's side, that the beam pattern is further off to the side with a much shorter throw than that passenger side (which is perfect). I'm assuming that's from physically pushing against the PCM housing. Perhaps adjusting the fog lights will help, I know there's an adjustment screw down there somewhere...

·
Registered
558 Posts
You may have already done this, but make sure the bulbs are "clocked" right as well. IIRC, they would fit a couple of ways, one of which would have the LED's at an angle. Having the LEDs firing horizontally seems to work the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts